What are you reading [Apr 2017]?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
...went back to the Alex Verus books....I'm part way through the 5th, Hidden.

And I misplaced it and wanted a book...

... I found it. Threw my bathrobe in the wash today. Forgot it in the pocket. *shame* So now I have one fused mass of pulp and many, many little flakes of paper all over my load of laundry. :(

Just because it's ironic for a series about a diviner: I didn't see that coming.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I've just started Shiva 3000 which is a really interesting fantasy set in an India of colossal mechanical gods, baboon headed warriors, air ships and weird cults. It looks like it's going to be an exotic intriguing blast of spice

Richards

Legend
I just finished Forbidden by Ted Dekker and Tosca Lee. It takes place some 500 years since the human race recreated itself through a retrovirus that did away with all emotions but fear, to prevent the previous emotional states which caused a thermonuclear war and could have wiped out humanity. Now, an unwitting young man ends up drinking a potion that undoes the changes and he is the first person to feel other emotions in centuries. But the world is united in a second Roman Empire, this one encompassing the entirety of the remaining population.

Next up is the sequel, Mortal, by the same authors. Those few who took the potion are now keeping a little boy safe, as he was born (as foretold by a prophecy) with the results of the potion already in his system: he feels the normal (to us) broad spectrum of emotions and will be next Sovereign (world leader) if they can keep him alive to age 18.

Unfortunately, it looks like there is at least one more book after this one, and I picked these two up (for a buck apiece) at a library book sale. The third book may be somewhat difficult to find...I may have to consider an on-line purchase.

Johnathan

Elodan

Adventurer
Finished Thief by Matt Colville. Ended up really enjoying it and am looking forward to the next books in the series.

Finished the Pathfinder novel Reaper's Eye by Richard Knaak. It was okay. Felt like it kind of had the same things happen over and over again.

Currently reading The Force Awakens novelization by Alan Dean Foster. About 1/3 of the way through it. Dialog is a lot different than in the movies (a lot more coherent).

amadaun

First Post
I've been alternating between SF/F and "serious books," so I'm wrapping up Lunch Poems by Frank O'Hara. Not that it's that serious... it's a nice little book if you like modern poetry.

Finished Joanna Russ’ The Female Man. Definitely reminded me of Burroughs’ Naked Lunch in its challenging and phantasmagoric structure and story. I can only imagine the reaction that plus the feminist ideas got in the 70s.

Now I’m back to the modern era with Schwab’s A Gathering of Shadows, the second in that series.

Nellisir

Hero
I've read Year of the Flood (Atwood) and reading Oryx and Crake right now. Will try to find Maddadam at the big book sale next weekend.

Just started King's "The Wastelands".

Not sure if I liked the whole Odetta / Detta = Suzanna thing. Too easy. Felt like he rushed it or something of the sort.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases