FFG STAR WARS....Revisited

jimmifett

Banned
Banned
Welcome to the Dark Side, have some cookies.

It's a really great system. I've got everything for it but the latest book. I've thrown together a few adventures, then tossed them out the window as the players went completely off the rails. It was a blast! Eventually I found a place to work my original adventure back into the game, and it was all good. Those left field turns that the players make tho, be on your feet and ready to just go with it! Nowadays, I don't even really plan other than, "you know what would be cool...?" and then find a way to drop it in front of the players.

The Force and Destiny beginner box however, is a pretty meh railroad adventure, worst of the box sets by far. Still need to read through the Force Awakens box set.
Maybe I'll run it on fantasy grounds in the future.

JeffB

Legend
My goodness. AOR core rulebook arrived. Might be the best looking RPG I've ever bought. They really pulled out the stops in the art and layout budgets.

Will be checking out the included scenario for potential play this weekend. If not, I will likely use the continuation adventure (parts of it, anyway)

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Thanks for all the suggestions! I ended up finding a lightly used copy of the Core rulebook to satisfy my own Star Wars geekyness, and will check out the adventure in it. I'm surprised how hard the AOR core book is to find, even used. New , people want a fortune for them. Should be here in a few days.

I'll take a looksee around for those GM kits too! UABS I think you can still find online. That was the original freebie that prompted my original thread here. I forgot about it.

Miniature Market is a very solid resource. Their stock is much more reliable than Amazon's and has a respectable discount. If you choose the budget shipping that's very reasonable too. All around highly recommended!

Vulf

First Post
I would run the continuation adventure on the FFG site before the adventure in the CRB. Just because they are fun.

Don't be reserved when it comes to taking some of the NPCs and making them into permanent contacts. For example, I kept Heavy Gan around from the FaD download adventure. He became the group's contact with the Rebel Alliance.

Almost all of the sourcebooks have some adventure and encounter material.

Last edited:

JeffB

Legend
So we had another great session on Saturday. I ended up using the adventure that was in the beta corebook- Operation-Shell Game. My wife found the beta at a used bookstore for cheap and got it for me. I appreciated it, but don't have any use for the BETA, so I photocopied the adventure and she returned the book. I know, I am a sorry SOB, but she got some Berenstain Bears books for my little girl, so all worked out :D

SPOILERS FOR OPERATION SHELL GAME

As written, I liked the premise (infiltrate imperial base as an Imperial Survey crew needing emergency repairs on their Shuttle- steal or destroy prototype gunboat that could wipe out rebel fleet), but it seemed really difficult even for a normal 4-6 PCs..with just 2, I had to water it down.

At the table, it was one of those adventures that reads better than plays..It felt a little too linear/railroady once we got going. That said, we had some great roleplaying moments as the PCs tried to talk their way through security checkpoints and explain why they were messing around near the Tractor Beam.

The dice mechanic really had me on my heels as there was a preponderance of failure with advantage on both sides. My Son's poor Soldier PC rolled more failures and advantage than anything.

The PCs disabled the Tractor beam, made it through the security checkpoints first by smooth talking**, then running over security and engineers/techs with a hovercart full of engine parts , stole the ship, and then were jumped by a group of TIEs. We were running low on time so I condensed the TIE battle so the X-Wings that were to show up as support could show up a bit sooner. The pc pilot was trading "gain the advantage" maneuvers with the TIE Pilot back and forth but finally gained the upper hand and the TIE was destroyed as the XWings screamed in to break up the TIES.

** At one point, they knocked out a security guard who was being hailed on his comlink and rolled several THREAT.....I went straight to the source...

"TK556, what is your situation? Why aren't you at your post? TK556, REPORT!"

And the Soldier replied without a second of hesitation...

"Uh nothing wrong here, uh...situation under control... just had a slight malfunction..uh...situation here with a hover-cart and some shuttle parts...everything is fine here..." I was quite geek-proud of my Son at that moment ;)

I felt a little flat at times, but after a session ends I always ask " well, what did you guys think?", and was answered with "awesome...more fun than last time" and "yeah, felt like we were in Rogue One or something" I was surprised, but happy.

I think for the next session I will introduce some elements more like EotE. In the pre-gen character's bacstories, the soldier was a galaxy-wide famous athlete, and the pilot had some imperial ties- I am thinking that security cams/systems were able to identify them when they were on the Imperial Base, and now they are on the Imperial's Most Wanted Lists and have a large bounty on their heads. Still brainstorming.

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
I was introduced to the game four years ago and was able to play about 5 sessions. I've been in love with the system since. I'm hoping that as soon as I move again I'll be able to find a new group and be able to play again.

JeffB

Legend
I was introduced to the game four years ago and was able to play about 5 sessions. I've been in love with the system since. I'm hoping that as soon as I move again I'll be able to find a new group and be able to play again.

If you end up in CT, USA let me know! ;) I will be looking for a group too!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases