Jasper runs Portal and Season 6.

jasper

Rotten DM
Forge of Fury Second Session
Since I used A Thousand Tiny Deaths DDAL06-01 in the first part of the evening, I had the group climb the chimney. I only had 5 players due to 2 people dropping out after 06-01. They only fought the Burdug (and since my title sheet did not include her two followers that was a push over). They explore only parts of the first level before heading down to Glitterhame. However with the killing of the shaman this triggered the orcs leaving part so I gave them a flat 300xp for the rest of the level.
I did switch up how I did initiative. Even making everyone keep their roll from the previous encounter. Or if was going to be a nickel and dime encounter like Stirges or 2 troglodytes I had one player try to beat me on init. If I won I just went first and played the monsters where I wanted too, then went clockwise counter clock wise around the table. This did speed up the game a little. Due to the Bard casting Shatter a lot the whole level was on the alert. The only major combat was with Kaarghaz and his horde. This became a tactic battle with neither side wanting to charge first. But Kaarghaz got tired of waiting and charged out the door to area 17.
Currently they are in room 25 waiting to go down.
Question does a pc have to level up while still in the dungeon even after a long rest?

jasper

Rotten DM
Prop list. Holy D20s. Tomb has more magic than monsters.
Sunless Citadel- Torch, candle, Feather token, whistle, wand, sword
Forge of Fury- swords 2, 1 axe, 1 wand, 1 shield, ring,
The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan- Axe, Bracers +2, Ring * 2, amulet * 2, sword *2, Gloves, hat(feather mask), Stone, Mirror, rod, wand, Periapt(pin) , bracelet, dagger *2 , mace , balance,
White Plume Mountain- hammer, fork, trident gum, stone, sunglasses, razor, armor, rings 2, boots
Dead in Thay various keys, Loadstone, Pike, long sword, battle axe, great sword, short bow, plate, Ring, dagger, leather armour, dagger, wand, bracers, robe,
Steading of Hill Giant Chief- shield, javelin, war hammer, great sword, spear, short sword, giant battle axe,
The Glacial Rift of the Frost Giant Jarl – battle axe, staff, ring, armor, Necklace, Shield, Horn, +1 Plate, pearl, wand, paint,
Hall of the Fire Giant- cloak, boots, ring, longbow, shield. Cloak , boots, ring, pipes, Tentacle rod, armor, Whip, staff of swarming insects, Tome, Bird
Tomb of Horrors – Gem * 2, Ring *4, Bag*2 Flail, sword 2, spear, axe, Ring, Rod Staff, amulet, Glasses,
Conflict +1 Long Sword, Javelin of Lightning
DDAL06-01 Cloak of Protection

zingbobco000

Explorer
Prop list. Holy D20s. Tomb has more magic than monsters.
Sunless Citadel- Torch, candle, Feather token, whistle, wand, sword
Forge of Fury- swords 2, 1 axe, 1 wand, 1 shield, ring,
The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan- Axe, Bracers +2, Ring * 2, amulet * 2, sword *2, Gloves, hat(feather mask), Stone, Mirror, rod, wand, Periapt(pin) , bracelet, dagger *2 , mace , balance,
White Plume Mountain- hammer, fork, trident gum, stone, sunglasses, razor, armor, rings 2, boots
Dead in Thay various keys, Loadstone, Pike, long sword, battle axe, great sword, short bow, plate, Ring, dagger, leather armour, dagger, wand, bracers, robe,
Steading of Hill Giant Chief- shield, javelin, war hammer, great sword, spear, short sword, giant battle axe,
The Glacial Rift of the Frost Giant Jarl – battle axe, staff, ring, armor, Necklace, Shield, Horn, +1 Plate, pearl, wand, paint,
Hall of the Fire Giant- cloak, boots, ring, longbow, shield. Cloak , boots, ring, pipes, Tentacle rod, armor, Whip, staff of swarming insects, Tome, Bird
Tomb of Horrors – Gem * 2, Ring *4, Bag*2 Flail, sword 2, spear, axe, Ring, Rod Staff, amulet, Glasses,
Conflict +1 Long Sword, Javelin of Lightning
DDAL06-01 Cloak of Protection

BTW, it's important to note that a lot of those items aren't actually considered permanent magical items, i.e. the torch, the candle, the feather token, etc...

jasper

Rotten DM
My wife and I spent about 90 minutes last night preparing the giant bags. I typed up the chart from page 166. That came to 34 pages. I going to allow the player to roll a d4 then pull that number from bag. I did include some specials like roll 20 on 20 get used able first level spell scroll. Turn fumble into critical tonight only. Critical into fumble. And some potions. I think there are 167 giants in the Against the Giants. I also finished rolling/deciding what magic to randomly create for each adventure.
Dead in Thay title/magic/monster sheets are in a small binder due to the size.
I have also redesign my title sheet. It now contains Title, number, DCI, my name, Level/tier, XP, Gp, Renown, Downtime, Adventure League party strength chart since I keep forgetting to do the math correctly. Magic items for items will either go on the title sheet if a small number or have a separate sheet of paper.
Yes Zing the tokens are one shot and the continual flame maybe dispelled but it is fun coming up with gag props. The torch was easy since the $1 Tree had mini tiki torches the day I went shopping.

zingbobco000

Explorer
My wife and I spend about 90 minutes last night preparing the giant bags. I typed up the chart from page 166. That came to 34 pages. I going to allow the player to roll a d4 then pull that number from bag. I did include some specials like roll 20 on 20 get used able first level spell scroll. Turn fumble into critical tonight only. Critical into fumble. And some potions. I think there are 167 giants in the Against the Giants. I also finished rolling/deciding what magic to randomly create for each adventure.
Dead in Thay title/magic/monster sheets are in a small binder due to the size.
I have also redesign my title sheet. It now contains Title, number, DCI, my name, Level/tier, XP, Gp, Renown, Downtime, Adventure League party strength chart since I keep forgetting to do the math correctly. Magic items for items will either go on the title sheet if a small number or have a separate sheet of paper.
Yes Zing the tokens are one shot and the continual flame maybe dispelled but it is fun coming up with gag props. The torch was easy since the $1 Tree had mini tiki torches the day I went shopping.

Ah, just wanted to make sure. It's great hearing that you're really getting in to it ;)

jasper

Rotten DM
Forge of fury last session.
I only initially had 3 people sit down at the table due to others cancelling due to work. And two joined in after the group cleared the Sinkhole. Due to only having 3 members with 1 being first level I dropped the Roper encounter. Note in 3 E a roper is a CR 10, in 5E it is a CR 5. (when I did run Fury in 3E I had 9 member party which dogpiled the roper). I do give the Map a "B" on page 49 because it does place the Roper and the white arrow for how the stairs are going. If they only did not blur the doors it would be great.
The Foundry was interesting and I had one rule flub but since was cool I let it be. The Duergar initially shook down the party for 100 gp. Most of the time I would give the group choices like South to Room 41 North to Rom 42. Since most of the combat were in similar size rooms I did not redraw maps just move the door and monsters. They had a good fight with the Wight and Ogre Skeleton and Called for the first of long rests. The wight combat was were my dice turn against me. For the rest of the night anytime the monsters were at disadvantage I was hitting nothing. One of the first level guys call for a xp total so he could level. This was a good idea and I allowed for the other long rests.
On the Room 44 to speed Play I just announce the number of 44 and allowed all the players to roll one per room. They were able to talk down Arundil and agreed to clean the module of the remaining monsters. Score 19 on the persuasion roll.
The succubus encounter was fun and where I had my rule fart. I had Idalla take the form a dwarf woman. Question is the Charm ability of a succubus more powerful than the Spell Charm Person? I was able to split the party into three rooms. Idalla dropped two pc with her kisses. This where allowing one of the first level pcs to level help. As he failed the kiss but had 17 hp against 32 damage. The person playing a tiefling giggled when I replaced the dwarf fig with Succubus mini. I had given her a unpainted succubus mini weeks ago and she had been using for her mini. So it was nice to compare paint jobs.
Rules error I allow the guy with the Staff of Charming to use Charm Person on the fiend. That should not work. But it was cool. Also JASPER DID NOT READ THE BOOK. I just reread the paragraph about combat and Idalla should fled at the begging. I did fall back on what I remember from the 3E Mod.
The staff of charming came in handy in the Room 40 Nimira encounter. They got a surprise round did very little damage to her then charmed her. The group was wonder what to do when some just said 'ask her to leave with her troops!" Then as I said it would happen with a persuasion roll. And the same player asked "why don't you ask for your 100gp back!" Doh!. Now if this was not AL but home brew I would have the orcs and duergar try to hunt down the party later.
The Black Lake went long. Part of it is some of my players start shutting down and slowing down after 915. But I had to draw the map in two colors, check of the succubus rule fail, a bs session on 1E Bard rules and multiclass rules broke out, and another long rest and leveling happen.
MY DICE SUCK! I was going to play NightScale tactically. But since she only had avg intel I did not want to be a goober. One player suggest roll a d20 and if equal or under use the evil tactic. The group got split crossing the east bridge. While they were thinking of building a rope bridge the dragon stuck it head out of water, winked at the tiefling and spit. This would be the only time things would go right for me. I bump the AC by 2 for just the head showing. Nightscale was able to take out the second bridge leaving the on the north side of the map with ladder and two one south side of the east bridge. Due to drawing the map BADLY I did allow line of sight for everyone. AND HOLY MOLLY SOME PEOPLE USED THE SCROLLS FOUND TO GOOD EFFECT. Nightscale HATED THE WEB SPELL TILL THE ROUND SHE DIED! It also help I could not save, and could not hit nearly anything. AND I lost count of the Nat 20 the group rolled, only the tank did not roll a nat 20 if fact except for his combat manuvers he never laid a glove on her.
If I would do this again I would predraw the map to save time.
Props given AXE body spray for +2 great axe, Pen with smiling face for the wand of magic missles ( bought that for a prop last October), and a blow up ninja shield for the +1 shield.

jasper

Rotten DM
Update jasper turn to the darkside and became a player on may 13th. And he gave the dm lip.... Ok it was fun being a player in the first season 2 adventure. I did forget stuff like adding my proficiency and leveled up my pc wrong during the game. The DM did make one change and knock 10 xp off the total xp of the adventure. He wants the starting players to be able to run in all the Tier 1 adventurers without leveling out. Hope it works.
Dead in Thay is going to be a hard one to run due to number of rooms 100+, and detail. I printed off some keys on cardstock and wrote the room number and zones on them. Ex Room 1. Bob's Key. Adventure League, Homebrew zone.
The wandering monster sheets cover 6 sheets of paper. And I see that this adventure could make every pc carry off +1 weapon, and +1 armour.

jasper

Rotten DM
Hidden Shire of Tamoachan first 4 hours. Okay I had a tag team playing. I had 8 wanting to play and only 7 chairs. So when 1 player had to leave early they tagged out. I am not adjusting the power/monsters up for a strong party. Not adjusting is making it easy on the players, but the xp is going to be smaller. I will have to make an xp adjustment for those monsters they encountered but no combat happen. Room 1 xp is going to added to next week total.
A dm will have to photocopy both appendix. Or get use to flipping back and forth. I did try theatre of mind for some encounters. This went so so this time around.
The Map is getting a Grade A-. Room 22 and 25 get squished in the fold.
Time wise was great. Started at 602 and end at 1015. With a break during the game to level up some people. I am allowing leveling during a long rest.

Last edited:

jasper

Rotten DM
shine part 2.
I totally missed some magic items and some props. the +1 Mace head.
I think the girl playing the tempest cleric tiefling was going to fight the guys over the eagle whistle and wand of lighting.
I did have some trouble with some rooms which other dms may want to think about. Room 40 Has dragon statue listed as a stone golem but as it can only do 28 hp of damage total; I adjusted the xp down to half. Room 35 you will need to read well as the information is scatter thru the description. The players did enjoy the roper type critter (room 37) even when taking damage. They would escape then I would hit and reel them back in. They are not liking the curses and traps. But I am.

Remove ads