D&D 5E Immortal Mystic

TheBob427

Explorer
Looking for some help with a v3 Mystic character I'm making, copied from an old thread where I originally posted this.

I want to play an Immortal Mystic but I'm having trouble figuring it out, mostly because of the wide variety of stats it needs to be effective.

For starters, you need good Int for temp HP and psionic DC and attacks. The Unarmoured AC means to get something decent you need good Dex and Con. Getting these three to decent levels from level 1 is fine, but the problem is many of the Immortal Disciplines augment melee weapon attacks, which mean you need Strength. Even Bestial Form's Bestial Claws is not a psionic "spell" attack but a weapon attack (and it's not finesse). Basically to make an Immortal that can make full use of their abilities you need good Int, Con, Dex, and Str. I'm hoping that they will release another version of the mystic where the Immortal's Unarmoured AC is based off of Int and Con, which makes more sense for the class, and that they'll make Bestial Claws a psionic attack.

My group plays with standard array stats, do any of you have any ideas for how to make this work? I would prefer to be full Mystic, no multiclassing, I'd like to see what it's like to play one all the way through.

The arrays I've tried are (in order of Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma), 12, 13, 16, 16, 10, 8 and 14, 12, 14, 17, 10, 8, both with Rock Gnome.

zaratan

First Post
You can use a finesse weapon to attack with dex. If you go heavy immortal disciplines, you don't need a high Int, because most isn't about saves.
High elf could be great, get booming blase as cantrip and proficiency with short sword. Hobgoblin could gove you proficiency with rapier and whip.
Medium armored feat to +1 in dex and shield and medium armor, so you don't need thecon base calculation (maybe human v for that). You can forget immortal order too, and go avatar for that proficiency.

Enviado de meu SM-G900MD usando Tapatalk

The unarmored ac thing is odd. You can start with studded leather. 12 ac with dex. With MAD, your either your dex or con will be 14 and not improved as it's not an attack stat with psi or weapon. I.e. Your base ac is the same.

finessse attacking is also awkward for mystics. The only finesse weapon they get proficiency with is a dagger. A d4 weapon does not make a melee master.

Last edited:

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
INT temp HPs every turn is actually remarkably good - if you can provide normal levels of defenses. However the Immortal starting with light armor, no shield, and simple weapons doesn't help that. It looks like you will need to rely on your disciplines to do that.

Only looking at Immortal Disciplines right now though you will have others.

Defense
Celerity lets you spend 2 PP to take the dodge action as a bonus action (so no bonus action attacks to bring up your rate of attack).
Iron Durability gives +1 AC with focus (but you probably have better things to do with it), 2 PP and a bonus action to gain resistance to B/P/S which will make you temp HPs (and real HPs) go further). Also a big one to do the same for up to an hour. And a reaction +AC one.
Diminution gives 5 PP to completely avoid any attack that hits.

Offense
Corrosive Metabolism is an immortal discipline that delivers touch acid attacks with a save, so it's at least based off your INT if you want to pump that. Has single target, AoE, and reaction attacks.
Giant Growth gives you reach and +d4 to melee weapon damage for a minute with low PP cost.
Psionic Weapon gives bonus to weapon hits, bigger dice then Brute Force, as well as making a weapon +3 which will go a long way to having a lower attack ability score. Also 1 PP to chance an attack into a Dex save for half, which moves it to INT.
Brute Force can add damage to a melee weapon, so you could be using that finesse dagger.
Bestial Form can give you a fairly nasty attack at the cost of PP, but it's STR based which doesn't help your MAD.

Huh, even after looking at these, I don't know how the Immortal is supposed to compete as a single classed character.

TheBob427

Explorer
I'm hoping that they'll move some of the Immortal Disciplines over to more Int based things, not changing what happens, but just the mechanics: Make Bestial Claws a "spell" attack, make AC work with Int or something, etc.

Atm for my character I'm taking Iron Durability and Bestial Form, because it's very versatile and with focus on durability and 2 PP into Bestial Transformation I get +3 AC. Celerity is gonna be my next discipline, but I don't think there are a whole lot of bonus action attacks anyway. I'm going for mostly a tank build, just preferably with not-horrible damage.

I'm thinking that my best option is the 12, 13, 16, 16, 10, 8 and rely on my proficiency bonus to do the heavy lifting for weapon attacks. Thoughts?

Last edited:

zaratan

First Post
I think they try to balance disciplines with good and bad things. Bestial form is just great, so bastial claw can't be that good.
Seriously, celerity is horrible don't waste one discipline with that.
Avatar order with mastery of air can get AC 19, be attacked with desadvantage, reaction attack if he miss and focus in mantle of fury to enemy get desadvantage if attack your ally, this is a real tank.
High elf to get booming blade and short sword and you have more at will damage than immortal, with better defense, better party help, less MAD, and can nova with psionic weapon.

Enviado de meu SM-G900MD usando Tapatalk

TheBob427

Explorer
It's not really about balancing it out with less good things though, it's about them making weapon attacks a core feature of a "spellcaster" class, it just doesn't fit. It's a lot easier to give a martial class some spellcasting than the other way around.

Hmm... that is interesting but I would like to play an Immortal mystic, I am a sucker for good class flavour and I like the "notoriously hard to kill" line they put in it. Thanks for the suggestion though.

zaratan

First Post
It's not really about balancing it out with less good things though, it's about them making weapon attacks a core feature of a "spellcaster" class, it just doesn't fit. It's a lot easier to give a martial class some spellcasting than the other way around.

Hmm... that is interesting but I would like to play an Immortal mystic, I am a sucker for good class flavour and I like the "notoriously hard to kill" line they put in it. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I understand you, I just didn't planned a good immortal option in that version yet. I think that line is funny, because until immortal reach level 14, he is way easier to kill than other options. But good luck.
Human v yo get medium armored feat could make you way less mortal, don't stat in melee too. And don't waste your discipline with celerity.

Agreed. I was thinking of starting level one as a human fighter with heavy armor master. You'd get martial weapons, Hi AC, DR which stacked with your temps, and a good concentration save out of the box. All your defenses and abilities are concentration based. You could get popped out of them in one hit.

Remove ads