Are you a "Walking Thrift shop", or an "Adventurer"

Centaur

First Post
Porblem
Part of the thrill of an adventurers life is find all kinds of treasure. Frequently, this treasure contains magic items. Sometimes however, while the power offered by these magic items would be very beneficial to your character, you are loath to take the item as your own because it just doesn't go with your ensemble.

Think of a wizard who wheres a fancy robe and suddely finds a large steel helm that adds +6 to Intellegence. He would certainly want the power offered by this item, but it definetly does not go with his robes.

Or how about the Fighter in black leathers who finds a golden bejeweled Tiara that grants him the Combat Reflexes Feat. While it could certaintly benefit him on a purely statistical level, it destroys the effect of the rest of his outfit.

Do experienced adventurers come accross more like Joxer the mighty rather than a hero because there magic items create a look of a homeless person.

Obviously, in many campaigns it would be possible to sell your magic items and purchase something with the same power, but matches your outfit. This however is self defeating as you are basicly spending 1000's og GP on fashion at this point.

Solution?
Should it be possible for someone to transfer the magical power in one item, into another item that is more suitable in appearence for a nominal cost in materials, ay 5% or so.

An obvious restriction on such a transfer could be that it needs to stay in a type of item designated for that "Item Slot". For example, the powers of a helm should only be transferable to some other item that takes the same space such as a headband, hat or another helm. But then such a restriction may not be nessecary.

Any thoughts...?

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Re: Are yoou a "Walking Thrift shop", or an "Adventurer"

Centaur said:
Solution?
Should it be possible for someone to transfer the magical power in one item, into another item that is more suitable in appearence for a nominal cost in materials, ay 5% or so.

Not where I come from. This is part of role-playing: Would your character care?

RigaMortus

Explorer
I think the easier thing to do would be have that MAGIC item reform into something that fits your style. Magic rings shrink to fit the fingers of the new wearer. Magic armor sizes to fit it's new wearer. Is it out of the realm of possibility that the +6 Metal Helm changes into a +6 Cloth Headband once the Wizard puts it on? Or that the Golden Tiara turns into an appropriate looking helm for the fighter?

I don't think there would be anything game breaking here.

Steverooo

First Post
You must actually DESCRIBE your items! :D

I would let the PCs take it or leave it. Rarely have I had someone turn down a magic item because they didn't like its color! ;)

Terwox

First Post
I gave out a cursed greatsword that welded itself to the half-orc barbarian's hand, and the steel turned baby pink, and the sword grew misty flowers and thorns.

It was a +1 greatsword, ghost touch, thorned (another +1 damage.)

He was happy with it! It wasn't the most serious game, though, but it was still rather entertaining.

Voadam

Legend
The 2e Tome of Magic had a spell that transferred magic from one item to another similar quality like item. I never really saw much use for it, until you brought the fashion conscious mage to my attention.

I think it was an 8th level transmutation spell.

You could convert that to 3e or 3.5 and be the wizard tailor who does high end alterations on magic items.

buzzard

First Post
I've seen people get tired of magic items being so common that they are taken for granted, but when they are not valued because of a lack of fashion compatability the world should end.

Really, if I were DMing and a player had such a gripe, it would be armageddon. Kill them all. No gods left to sort them out.

buzzard

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases