D&D 5E [IC] Adventures in Ashwell: The Edge of Dispater

Creamsteak

Explorer
"Didn't you say you want to clean up a bit? I'll get you after I get picks and shovels."

After about ten minutes he returns with the tools and checks that the boy finished eating.
"Come, boy, lead the way."

Ersarkess approaches the old man
"Would you join us, elder? We may need the blessing on this quest."

After receiving the answer he turns to the tavern in general as he walks toward the exit.
"We're going to save a little girl from collapsed dig. Anyone interested?"

The boy is surprised, though still incredibly nervous.

The elderly gentleman looks up from his tea. A bit taken aback. "What help could an old man be at digging?"

OOC: Ok, so if the innkeeper accepts the 3gp as colleteral, Thael will come back down, completely cleanded after 20 minutes, but will have spent 9 minutes inspecting the book. If not, he'll simply have cast prestigitation and come down 10 minutes later, not to raise suspicions.

Pete explains that the debt owed for the book is far more than three coins, he can't part with it under those terms.

The Zeumi trader looks at the sudden burst of activity in the inn with amusement. "You're going digging? For a lost girl? This town is as full of fools as they say. The darkness is not safe, vermin and cave-ins are only the beginning. There are thieves and murderers combing those places now. You should take a weapon."

He looks over the the Scylvendi warrior.

[sblock=Scylvendi]"Look at these fools. They go off to pick over the crypts of the dead. Raghnall, I do need men of war, like yourself. We in Zeum know of your peoples great skill. But this place is dangerous. I have some great interest in what lies in the caverns below, but I have only just started to gather information. How about I pay you a few coins and you 'protect' these grave robbers for a bit. Come back to me and tell me of the treasures they find and the dangers below."

He offers 5 gold pieces up front, and 5 gold pieces upon your return.[/sblock]

Azurewraith

Explorer
Raghnall accepts the coin."I shall protect them like my cattle".
Raghnall heads over to the assembled group.
He addresses them in Scylvendi not expecting a response."It's not safe down there, I shall keep you safe. I am Raghnall."

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
[sblock=Scylvendi ]
"Welcome, warrior. We will appreciate your strength and courage."
[/sblock]
Ersarkess introduces the warrior to others.

To the old man
"At digging nothing. But at keeping restless spirits away? Or giving last rites? Healing?"

Last edited:

industrygothica

Adventurer
Kilvo slams his mug down on the table, probably a little harder than intended. He looks around the room intently, and then notices the the half-elf is trying his damnedest not to meet his gaze. He takes another over-sized swig of the ale. "Well, looks like I'm the only dwarf here. So what is it yer wantin'?"

Creamsteak

Explorer
OOC: Moving forward then I think. Let's just see how things go.

The half elf Ersarkess hears the story of a boy who's sister is lost in the "well" of Ashwell and gathers a Scylvendi warrior named Raghnall, a Dwarven Engineer named Kilvo, and his cousin Thael from the The Edge of Dispater. An elderly man of some religious fervor going by the simple name of "Whisky" is asked to accompany them, though he knows not what he's getting into. The boy is named Sorweel.

Sorweel leads the party towards a small corner of the old town that is filled with refuse. The wall under construction can bee seen far to the north and east, and other sites of construction can be seen in all directions from here. The "well" as it's generally referred is like a giant field of dirt dunes, small foliage and trees, as well as signs of derelict buildings and fences. This area, a few square miles, was once farmland and the home of a small community. Now it has partially returned to nature and partially become the dig site of treasure seekers.

Sorwheel says, "The diggers came here first, but the tunnels collapsed on them. That's what they told me. Stay away or the earth will swallow you. But they also said there was treasure there, and so me and Serwa would come here. We found coins. Pots. Enough to live."

After some time Serwa points to a spot between two saplings. He walks over and starts to remove rocks and boards to reveal a blanket with dirt covering it. Pulling the blanket off reveals a perfectly square entrance. "This chimney. This is how we got down. It rained recently, so there may be some mud."

The elderly man is taken aback a bit. "Isn't this a bit much for an old man?"

The entrance is perhaps wide enough to fit people down one at a time. A child can do so easily, but a fully sized adult may find it quite difficult at times (disadvantage on the athletics check).

Azurewraith

Explorer
Raghnall uncoils his rope from his pack and fastens it to the sturdiest object he can find gives it a few tugs before tossing the other end down the hole. Taking one last look down before lowering himself down.

OOC: Athletics disadvantage [roll0] [roll1]

Remove ads