Pathfinder 1E Gaming w/Jemal: The Dungeon Crawl (Recruiting/Set-up)

Jemal

Adventurer
Alright so I've decided that I'd like to 'ease' back into the swing of things here by GMing something relatively simple - a fairly basic Dungeon Crawl.

Background/Basics:
There is a large and powerful organization that is looking for adventurous types to assist them in some tests. There are many reasons one might wish to help them, perhaps to prove something, make money, escape your past, etc.. whatever your reason, they have promised to help you if you help them.
After initial screenings, they informed you of what the 'test' would entail. You will be transported into their testing facility with some other participants and your goal will be to get out. Whether the others make it or not will not impact your reward, so working together would be in all of your best interests.
Simple, right?
Yeah... Right..

Well, in any case you agreed and as soon as you'd signed the paper, your eyelids grew heavy and you fell unconscious.

You awaken in a large, strange chamber filled with Sarcophagi - one of which you just crawled out of! There are dozens of other sarcophagi around the room, a few of them open, and a couple other individuals like yourself popping out of them. A single door hisses open mechanically and a voice speaks in common "30 seconds until room sterilization".

Any who try find the closed sarcohpagi cannot be opened or damaged, and after 20 seconds, the voice begins a 10 second countdown timer while the room flashes with red lights, and when the timer hits 0, the door slams shut (Regardless of any attempts to keep it open, magical or mundane), and anybody still in the room is killed.
The next room you enter is a large warehouse filled with minor gear. As the door closes behind you, another opens on the far side, and the voice again says "Prepare yourselves for the challenge ahead. 2 minutes until room sterilization."

The Basics
This dungeon is TRYING to kill you, so unlike usual, I will not be holding back - this campaign WILL be lethal.
When you start you notice that there are 4 of you crawling out of the Sarcophagi but there are already 4 open ones. The first group did not survive long. Anytime a PC dies, another PC will be chosen to awaken and catch up to them.
As the PCs level up while traveling through the dungeon, the 'replacements' coming in will be roughly on par with them - The Organization evaluated everybody and had the Sarcophagi release the weakest first, so as more die those remaining will be stronger. (Will go into that more later when it matters)

The Rules stuff:
Alright, we'll be using Pathfinder rules system (D20pfsrd if you need the free online rules).
Abilities: Point buy (if you don't know how that works, go to this website and scroll down to the 'purchase' method: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/basics-ability-scores/ability-scores ). We will be using the 'epic fantasy' 25 points.
Lvl 2 characters with 1000gp worth of gear. You WILL have to worry about food/water/etc, you may be down here for some time.
Races: No advanced races/races that cost RP.
HP: Max minus 1 per die.
We'll be using Traits: 2 per character
No Flaws/drawbacks/whatever they're called.

Sources: Anything 'official'. No third party material.
I don't know every single source by heart and thus can't make a comprehensive list of what IS and ISN'T allowed, so I'm going to default allow everything by Paizo, and reserve the right to say no to things after seeing them.

Any other questions just ask, I'm sure I've forgotten something.

Last edited:

BeaniBum

Explorer
This sounds awesome but I've only had experience with 5e how is the jump back if it isn't bad I would love to do this

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

Jemal

Adventurer
Honestly I have yet to try 5e, so I couldn't tell you. I've been looking into it and they seem close enough that it's not a huge leap to learn. Plus 3.5 isn't overly complicated to begin with (Unless you try using the 238 various source books... but the core rules are relatively simple! And available free online at d20srd )

Jemal

Adventurer
Alright so far looks like we have 1 vote for pathfinder and a bunch of "don't care". Unless the vote changes by tomorrow afternoon looks like we're doing pathfinder.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Pathfinder is what I'm more familiar with. I play PFS. I do have a 3.5 PHB I found somewhere, but I've never played it, so my preference would be PF.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases