D&D 5E Revamped Ability Score Bonuses

Xeviat

Hero
Minimum Str for weapons and armor would be good in something like this. No ability score to AC would be easy to balance (you would only need 4 AC levels: unarmored, light, medium, heavy), but it might not feel right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With a little reworking of the numbers, you could potentially expand this to combat as well. Attack roll = 1d20 + (ability score - 10) vs. target's Dex score (and maybe + shield). Have to figure out how armor worked in this system (maybe it works as DR instead of adding to your AC or something).
Exactly.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Further, I like the idea of doing away with the actual ability score, and letting the ability just be the bonus.
Abilities would range from -1 to +4 for a 6 point spread allowing people to roll a d6 for ability scores if they are so inclined.
That bakes in the rather poor idea (given to us by point-buy and array systems; may they leave this hall and never return) that the lowest you can go is -1. The range for stats is supposed to be 3-18, thus -4 to +4.

Also, rolling 3d6 or 4d6 or 5d6 - whatever - gives a bell curve; my chance of getting a +4 is far less than getting +1. Rolling a straight d6 is linear, making my chance of getting a +4 exactly the same as getting +1. Is this what you want?

Lan-"and count another vote here for reviving the roll-under mechanic"-efan

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Sometimes it feels like the 3e skill system was more of an answer to classic 'class-based-vs-skill-based' arguments of the 90's rather than a solution to a problem that needed solving.
No, 3e had to move away from roll-under because it was way too easy in 3e to have one or more stats end up in the mid-20's or higher, making roll-under on a d20 utterly meaningless.

5e, with its hard stat cap of 20, can easily go to a roll-under system; the only thing I'd do would be that a roll of 20 always fails even if your stat is 20.

Lanefan

discosoc

First Post
No, 3e had to move away from roll-under because it was way too easy in 3e to have one or more stats end up in the mid-20's or higher, making roll-under on a d20 utterly meaningless.

5e, with its hard stat cap of 20, can easily go to a roll-under system; the only thing I'd do would be that a roll of 20 always fails even if your stat is 20.

Lanefan

Um, increasing stats was pretty difficult in 2e, unless your DM was just handing out tomes amd manuals like candy. Or wishes, i guess...

Horwath

Legend
I would also like to have abilities and modifiers go one-for-one.

no more odd ability score means nothing except some forced requirements so it doesn't seem useless.

average should be 10 again, and then go one for one.

also then 1 str for really tiny creatures has some sense with -9 modifier.

average 10(+0)
max for player races 15(+5)

point buy:

score: 9(-1), cost: 0
score: 10(+0), cost: 1
score: 11(+1), cost: 2
score: 12(+2), cost: 4
score: 13(+3), cost: 7

point buy pool: 16

that could give standard array of: 13,12,11,11,10,9.

rolling scores can be done with d2:

8d2-2 for average characters: 6(-4) to 14(+4), average 10

5d2+4 for adventurers: 9-14, average 11,5

Some racial modifier should be reworked a little.

"Half feats" could be taken in pairs without any ability boosts.

The other aspect of roll-under systems you see in games like GURPS but not so much in 2E is modifiers to the score for the difficulty of the task. So, like, roll under your strength to kick down the door but roll under your Strength - 5 to kick down the steel-reinforced door. Equivalent in d20 parlance to setting the DC higher than 10. And makes scores higher than 20 (or in GURPS' case, 18) meaningful.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
The other aspect of roll-under systems you see in games like GURPS but not so much in 2E is modifiers to the score for the difficulty of the task. So, like, roll under your strength to kick down the door but roll under your Strength - 5 to kick down the steel-reinforced door. Equivalent in d20 parlance to setting the DC higher than 10. And makes scores higher than 20 (or in GURPS' case, 18) meaningful.
We do this sort of thing all the time. For a particularly difficult Dex check, for example, you might need to roll under half your Dex. And true, this would make a roll-under meaningful if the stat you're rolling against is in the mid-20's...but it's uncommon enough that it doesn't save the system.

Remove ads