The Last Jedi trailer

Ryujin

Legend
Looks okay. Not much to go on.
I like the implication of no more Jedi. The possibility of balance and a middle ground beyond the continual cycle between Light and Dark. That Luke isn't just interested in continuing the cycle, but breaking it.

Different writer/ director though. This one is being done by the guy who did Looper.

I'm looking forward to something a little more nuanced than a 1930s white het/black hat Western. Based on the first 6 movies I'd have to say that the whole Jedi concept essentially creates fighters for The Dark Side, who are personally each more powerful than the regular Light Side Jedi. I figure that in the following movies the Jedi will go away, but The Force is a constant.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
I agree that the balance of the Force looks to be the focus here, but I could not help but think the trailer is using creative editing and the full line was something like "It's time for the Jedi to end the First Order!" or "It's time for the Jedi to end their old ways." or "It's time for the Jedi to end their nap!" :)

Comments on the teaser...

I get the feeling from the teaser that the training of Rey is going to be believable in that it is a substantial process, taking some time. She's not a Jedi...or whatever she will be...over night.

I doubt that she will be trained to be a jedi as of Luke's quote about that it is time for the jedi to come to an end. It is more likely she will be trained in the way of the unified force rather that something like a grey jedi.

Wystan

Explorer
Personally I think he starts by refusing to train her "It's time for the Jedi to end" and then his mind is changed and she is trained as a Jedi.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Looks okay. Not much to go on.
I like the implication of no more Jedi. The possibility of balance and a middle ground beyond the continual cycle between Light and Dark. That Luke isn't just interested in continuing the cycle, but breaking it.

I can't even express how strongly I hope they don't make the "grey" balance concept canon. Like...the best thing that happened in the last season of Rebels was the Bendu being debunked.

In the real world, there is grey. In morality in SW, there is grey.

In the Force, there is just the Force, and the corruption and perversion of the Force which people call The Dark Side.

But I agree that the Jedi need to end. The Jedi rules are part of what caused the problems the movies have been about. Not the insistence on walking in the Light, but the specific traditions and rules of the Jedi Order.

But I also don't want to see the whole "the bad guys only exist as a response to the good guys" thing that Batman writers unfathomably love so much. It's nonsense, and I just can't take a story seriously which makes it a premise. The Sith exist because the WIll to Power is stronger in some than restraint, compassion, and basic common sense. Not because the Jedi exist.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I doubt that she will be trained to be a jedi as of Luke's quote about that it is time for the jedi to come to an end. It is more likely she will be trained in the way of the unified force rather that something like a grey jedi.

Perhaps something like Qui Gon's "Living Force" philosophy?

Water Bob

Adventurer
You know what I heard?

I heard that The Last Jedi will feature the return of a beloved character from the original trilogy.

No, I'm not talking about Lando.

It's...

ZOMBIE YODA!!!!!!

yd1000.jpg

"Ooooo. Gruesome, I am."

Remove ads