D&D 5E Help me create my dwarf fighter

MrLazarus

First Post
So I have never played a fighter before and want to give one a go, I normally play spell casters or a gish. we are starting at 7th level with point buy. and I want to be a damage dealer rather then tank.

so I have decided on dwarf because dwarves are amazing not just mechanically but lore and RP wise, I plan to be a dwarf mercenary who is an expert in all forms of combat with a viking style of personality and appearance. Hand him any weapon some armour and he will take care of it.

I would like for him to be able to dual wield battle axes but the other players have told me that its a bad idea since the damage isn't that high compared to a greatsword/maul or polearm.

I have no clue what archetype to go, I would be most familiar with eldritch knight but apparently dual wielding eldritch knights dont work.

any advice/builds for what im looking at?

CydKnight

Explorer
I actually had the same exact idea as you for a human mercenary but you can only dual wield with Light Weapons. A battle axe is not a light weapon. This limits your damage as a 2 Weapon Fighter. It's still not wrong but it means that you will have to hit with both attacks to maximize damage.

I ended up building with Great Weapon Fighting and the Battlemaster archetype.

If I were to build a Dwarven Fighter, I would go Mountain Dwarf with Great Weapon Fighting style and later the Battlemaster archetype. Strength should be highest ASI followed by Constitution followed by whatever you value most in order after that.

If I were to build a Dwarven Fighter with 2 Weapon Fighting, I would probably still go Strength based as opposed to Dex.

For damage-dealing, Battle Master is definitely the way to go. Your initial maneuvers should definitely include Riposte and Precision Attack, then fill out with other good things like Menacing Attack, Trip Attack, Disarming Attack, Evasive Footwork and Maneuvering Attack (more or less in that order of importance).

The other players are right about dual-wielding, especially as regards the Fighter class. It's very suboptimal. Greatsword/maul with Great Weapon Fighting, or polearm with Polearm Master + Great Weapon Fighting put out way more damage.

But if you insist on dual-wielding battleaxes, then obviously you need the Dual Wielder feat to be allowed to do that.

Regardless, feat-wise, Sentinel should be a priority because of the lovely synergy it has with the Riposte maneuver. You'll also want to pick up Resilient (WIS) at some point so you run less risk of getting charmed, feared, dominated, stunned, held, etc.

Last edited:

MrLazarus

First Post
Regardless, feat-wise, Sentinel should be a priority because of the lovely synergy it has with the Riposte maneuver. You'll also want to pick up Resilient (WIS) at some point so you run less risk of getting charmed, feared, dominated, stunned, held, etc.

I will definitly be picking up sentinel after dual wielder, should I max strength before or after I take feats? and should i try and max con aswell or just keep it at 14/16?

I actually had the same exact idea as you for a human mercenary but you can only dual wield with Light Weapons. A battle axe is not a light weapon.

well I can take the dual wielder feat to allow me to dual wield battle axes can't i?

and if the damage starts to suck at higher levels and I change my mind I can always just pick up a greatsword and drop my last few ASI's on great weapon master/polearm master

also is dex important at all? I'm trying to work out what stats i should take.
so far I got: Mountain dwarf
str: 17
dex: 13
con: 17
int: 8
wis: 10
cha: 10

I could dump dex and boost cha for intimidation or boost wis for perception and survival

Last edited:

CydKnight

Explorer
I will definitly be picking up sentinel after dual wielder, should I max strength before or after I take feats? and should i try and max con aswell or just keep it at 14/16?

well I can take the dual wielder feat to allow me to dual wield battle axes can't i?

and if the damage starts to suck at higher levels and I change my mind I can always just pick up a greatsword and drop my last few ASI's on great weapon master/polearm master

also is dex important at all? I'm trying to work out what stats i should take.

I could dump dex and boost cha for intimidation or boost wis for perception and survival
Sure you can use the Dual Wield Feat and I would recommend it if you are going 2 weapon Fighter. I wasn't allowed a Feat at 1st level in my game and I didn't want to wait until 4th level to make 2 weapon fighting more effective.

Dex is not that important if you are going to be using Heavy Armor. I have Int as dump stat with Dex, Wis, and Cha next and virtually equal in score. Str and Con are both the highest.

bid

First Post
Unless you really want Str18 / Con18 at level 4, start with 16 14 16 8 12 10.

If you don't care about initiative, you can Dex10 for Cha14.

And yes, you could start with 2 handaxes and switch at level 5, when greatsword does more damage. Pick defense fighting style though.

Last edited:

smbakeresq

Explorer
Ok, you are starting at 7th level so you have two feats to start with. Since you are starting with those feats you can take an odd number in something a fill in with a fun feat. Take a feat instead of an ability increase, feats define your build and are far more fun to use.

Dual wielding falls behind on damage because to get that extra damage in you need to use a bonus action. There are many things that will use your bonus action so you wont be able to make that attack. In addition, the Great Weapon Master feat exists which allows you to take -5 penalty for +10 damage, that pushes great weapons over the top. This also make Polearms great, because you can then take polearm master feat to get back the bonus action attack (same as dual wielding) and get more OPP attacks. Since you are starting at 7th level you can just go polearm and start with both for max fun. Your STR will be 16 if you do this, but with bounded accuracy it doesn't hurt that much considering the versatility you get, and it would only be for level as you get a ABI at 8th level.

Another build that puts out better than expected damage if done right is shield users. You take dueling as your fighter talent for +2 damage, that pushes d8 weapons to effective d12, and then take Shield Master as your feat. When you declare your attack action you can take your bonus action first to shove with shield to try and knock them prone, attacks against prone creatures are with advantage so you will hit more and do more damage and do more critical hits. Using your bonus action to shove is a good deal and worth the feat by itself; in addition you get all those other benefits. You will prone more than think since its a STR check and you are proficient. Talk to your DM also, my DM agreed that as a fighter you are proficient in using a shield to bash someone with damage as a club but then you lose your +2 to damage from Dueling fighter talent for that turn for more flavor.

Don't worry about DEX if you are using heavy armor, the bonus doesn't apply.

Since you are starting at 7th level you can MC, a high risk/reward fun build to dual wield in is Barb5/Ftr2. The barbarian bonus damage when raging will stack with dual wield talent from fighter, yielding +6 with your dual wielded battle-axes from Dual Wield feat. Your STR would only be 16, but you can reckless attack to gain advantage on your attacks. You would need to go STR 14 (16 with Dwarf), Con 14 (16 with Dwarf), 14 into Dex (you will be wearing no armor or medium armor so +2 dex will help). Your base AC is 15 until you get good medium armor.

Also since you are starting at 7th level and have those 2 feats in the bag, you can start with 17 STR total and 15 in CON total, and then for feats take Heavy Armor mastery to get the + STR back and the damage reduction of 3 against B/S/P, leaving a feat for something fun. Yes your CON will only be 15, costing you 7 HP and +1 to your saving throws, but you will get that back and more in damage not taken the first 3 times you get hit. This still gives you a 18 STR and a feat for fun like GWM or Polearm Master. This works better well with any build, but is worth more with a polearm or great weapon fighter since without a shield you will get hit more. Heavy Armor Mastery is a very good feat and holds it value as at higher levels you will get hit round after round. At level 8 you can just boost CON with the Durable feat. I played this from level 1 with variant human using a halberd and polearm master and it was great fun.

Polearm Master loses some value with Great Weapon Master feat, you need to keep your bonus action available in case you get a crit or kill to have that bonus attack. Watch you positioning with GWM feat, make sure you are always in position to take that bonus attack if it comes. Some conditions grant auto-crits, so be ready for that if you have GWM.

Vulf

First Post
If you want to be tough and deal lots of damage, Barbarian/Fighter is the way to go.

3 levels of Fighter for the Champion Archetype, then the rest of your levels into Barbarian for the speed bonus, and the extra damage and resistance from Bear Totem.

bid

First Post
3 levels of Fighter for the Champion Archetype, then the rest of your levels into Barbarian for the speed bonus, and the extra damage and resistance from Bear Totem.
At the very best, you should be barbarian 5 / fighter 2 or you'll gimp your damage for lack of extra attack.

As a dwarf, I would get barbarian 9 before thinking of champion. Improved critical is merely decorative until you get some brutal critical dice.

In fact, you could still use 2 handaxes with a barbarian 9:
- Str20 hand axes = 2 * 1d6+5+4 + 1d6+4 ~ 32.5
- Str18 PAM = 2 * 1d10+4+4 + 1d4+4+4 ~ 37.5
- Str18 GWM = 2 * 2d6+14+4 ~ 50 (about ~ 37.5 because of the -5 to hit)
Hand axes do less damage, but there's more than DPR to a character. And you aren't invested into TWF, you can switch to another weapon anytime.

Look at battle rager from Sword Coast Adventure Guide. Still no offhand, but you get a "body check" bonus attack. That might fit your concept.

Last edited:

If you want to dual wield battle axes there is nothing stopping you.
I would take dual wielder and +1 str +1 con as feats.
I would start with an uneven score in wisdom so redilient wisdom will come in handy later on.
So 15+2 12 15+2 8 11 10 as stats. Or even 13 wisdom in favour of 12 dex.
Polearm master and great weapon master is nice, but not overpowered at that level. Being able to dual wield battle axes and get an extra point of AC helps as does the extra stat increase which you hadn't as polearm master. A great weapon is also nice, but a reliable extra attack with your offhand is not useless as battlemaster. The -5/+10 gamble is also a two edged sword at that level.
If you really want to maximize your defense and offense, barbarian 1,fighter 6 is not bad at that level. You get extra +2 damage to all 3 attacks and half damage on atta ks against you, although of course you can't wear heavy armor which is a big tradeoff.

Edit:
Barbarian might not be the best idea. Probably better to be a cleric and utilize divine favor. But most probably straight fighter will be your best choice since at level 7 you get another superiority die and a cool feature.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases