D&D 5E 5e paladin optimization/ OOV and party

Bobthelaw

First Post
Hi looking for some 5E game/class specific help with my (M) Dwarf Paladin O o Vengeance!

New to Dnd, we now play once a week. Campaign Mines of Palondor*( or something)

Lvl 3, Stats were rolled got lucky current stats (wPass) : Str 18 Dex 15, Con 17, Int 6 Wis 8, Char 15.

HP 36 AC 18 (Took Def) will be 19 when able.

My team is a Rogue, Monk(magic), Cleric(knowledge) and Sorc(drg). The Monk and Rogue do good dmg but the rogue is always afraid to engage she has low hp, and it’s an actually lady and she prefers stealing things and staying in the shadows. Me and the monk seem to be doing the most dmg, I’m def the tank, hence the Def buff. All my team rolled well so nobody is really hurting overall. I am however dumb as a box of rocks which fits my char lol.

Currently wielding a +1 Magic Longsword two handed (1d10 Talon). Will stick with 2 handed b/c I’m the only one who will be able to use them and the DM sticks to the guides and standard rules of the PHB, Some of the Scag stuff is allowed but not most of it (like I wanted to be a minotaur). No Unearthed. DM also said he will only award the magical weapons that the campaigns say and most likely won’t let us repurpose/re-forge them.
He allows short rest no more than 2 per-day, and allows long rest after boss fights but only if we leave the dungeon to rest and does use the random encounters table for each.

I’m split between Multiclassing to Warlock for 2 lvls and between what to do with my lvl 4 stat boost or GWM feat. I will be taking lvl 8 to Resilience with Con as then 18+ for HASTE. I won’t be going polearm b/c the DM’s is keen on only the magic weapons from the campaigns awards and no magic shops for a while. So that’s the current state of things I don’t think anyone plans on multiclassing except maybe me. If I do I want to have the DM kill the whole party and my Paly agree to serve to resurrect everyone and most likely a demon for those temp hit points at lvl 1. My Oath is against Orc’s and a necromancer who killed my clan.

Dwarf God is Moradin*/ Helga Bright Axe (restore her faith). Thanks to anyone who read this far looking forward to y’alls feedback. No campaign spoilers please.
Thanks Bob

I’m split between Multiclassing to Warlock for 2 lvls and between what to do with my lvl 4 stat boost or GWM feat. I will be taking lvl 8 to Resilience with Con as then 18+ for HASTE. I won’t be going polearm b/c the DM’s is keen on only the magic weapons from the campaigns awards and no magic shops for a while.
If you multiclass, you're not going to get your level 4 stat boost/feat or level 5 attack until later.

Generally people suggest taking two levels of warlock so you can use the Eldritch Blast Cantrip with the invocation that increases its damage by your charisma modifier. It sounds like you're actually the melee heavy hitter and don't really need that. Gaining a few temp HP when you kill something probably isn't a good tradeoff since you likely don't get hit that often, they don't stack, and you probably have decent HP and healing anyway.

Note that you won't be able to use the bonus damage of GWM with a longsword: its not a heavy weapon.

So that’s the current state of things I don’t think anyone plans on multiclassing except maybe me. If I do I want to have the DM kill the whole party and my Paly agree to serve to resurrect everyone and most likely a demon for those temp hit points at lvl 1.
This is a really bad idea unless you've checked with the other players about it.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
For the sake of the party, I would stay with Paladin at least until level 6 -- the aura of protection is *the* distinctive ability of the paladin, it helps everyone on the front line. Postponing getting it hurts everyone.

discosoc

First Post
I’m split between Multiclassing to Warlock for 2 lvls ... If I do I want to have the DM kill the whole party and my Paly agree to serve to resurrect everyone and most likely a demon for those temp hit points at lvl 1. My Oath is against Orc’s and a necromancer who killed my clan.

Unless your DM is rolling over to your every desire, you should probably expect your god to strip you of your paladin abilities as a result. It's clear you're just looking for an excuse to access short rest smites and a couple of EI. At the expense of player agency from your friends, no less.

Bobthelaw

First Post
5e OoV Paly

The DM doesn't role over for my every whim, but he is ok with MC as the book says its ok as well.
I'm still not sure what to do about GWM or Feat at 4 I think I will go Con resilience to buy time until lvl 8 I maybe get a heavy weapon I don't want to give up a magical sword for no reason.

Last edited:

jgsugden

Legend
If you're playing a vengeance paladin with good stats and GWM, you do not need to worry - they'll be close enough to optimized that you don't need to sweat the small stuff. None of the options you've discussed is a wrong choice.

Bobthelaw

First Post
Hi all thanks for the advice, I bought time at lvl 4 with Resilience Con so no I have 50hp. Also found a +1 axe Hew, The sword and shield and def bonus has been really tanking for the party, the monk is a glass cannon as are the rest. But I really don't want to just play the tank the whole time, although its looking like that might be the case. What are the type of bonus / char team work should we be doing, the cleric cast Bless usally and I usally smite or hunters mark for the dmg increase and always place myself in harms way to protect the others. again we have a OOV Paladin Me, a Sorc, A rogue (the lame one, non assin, non magical), a knowledge cleric and a water monk! Any advice is appetite holding of on the MC for a while!

Remove ads