D&D 5E Nerfing Great Weapon Master

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgsugden

Legend
I'd love to see someone count how many posts have been spent on this topic. Before someone says it would e a massive waste of time to count them, it has been years since anyone had anything new to say on this topic. Spending time counting the posts rather than writing them would at least provide something new.

Xeviat

Hero
I'd love to see someone count how many posts have been spent on this topic. Before someone says it would e a massive waste of time to count them, it has been years since anyone had anything new to say on this topic. Spending time counting the posts rather than writing them would at least provide something new.

Super helpful, thanks.

vander79

First Post
What about this:

Instead of the -5/+10, you just get to add your proficiency bonus to damage. That way it scales with level.

Xeviat

Hero
What about this:

Instead of the -5/+10, you just get to add your proficiency bonus to damage. That way it scales with level.

With no penalty to hit? So it eventually reaches +6 damage? That doesn't seam balanced to me on anyone with Extra Attack.

Just make the -5/+10 only usable once per attack action on your turn.

SharpShooter is more problematic. I suggest bringing the cover penalties back one step (You treat three quarters cover as half cover and half cover you ignore) and change archery style. The easiest solution with archery style is to give it +2 to damage.

I use a different solution with archery style. I allowed archery style to let you fire an opening volley on the first round of a combat.

It's more interesting then a flat plus 2 to damage.

I also suggest not letting magical arrows and magical bows stacking.

Eubani

Legend
How about -5 hit to for bonus damage equal to the amount you hit by? Just a thought I have not done any maths on it.

Fanaelialae

Legend
2x level would be too strong at later levels. Compare an at-will benefit having the kill threshold of 40 HP at Lv. 20 to, say, the Paladin's Banishing Smite (50 HP) or Power Word Kill (100 HP, and a 9th level spell).

I think 5 + level could work though. Would make it even stronger than 2x level at the lowest levels, but would still be reasonable at higher levels.

That seems a bit high at low levels (I'm pretty sure there are some common low level monsters with around 6 hp). Maybe level x 1.5 (round up)? I don't think auto killing 30 hp at level 20 is overkill, given that basically everything will have well over 100 hp by that point (the exception being high level mages).

How about -5 hit to for bonus damage equal to the amount you hit by? Just a thought I have not done any maths on it.

I assume you mean the amount that you beat the creature's AC by? Seems to me like that would be slow, unless all of your players are good at doing math in their heads quickly (personally I have some that are and some who aren't. Also this converts bonus to hit directly into damage, so I suspect it would be similarly exploitable in combination with reckless, bless, et al.

How about -10 to hit and +10 damage.
I think people would still use it quite a bit.

That would make it worthless to those who don't exploit the combo, and worse, make it a major trap option for those who aren't mathematically inclined (and therefore don't necessarily realize that in most cases this will result in a net decrease of DPR).

CapnZapp

Legend

I don't think it is at all true, the "it has been years since anyone had anything new to say on this topic"

Case in point: myself. If you had asked me about the feat years ago (plural number of years) I would not have had the insight I have today.

Honestly I think it is first now enough gamers play at higher levels with more focused builds; expect more and more players to realize there problems over time.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads