Adventures on the high seas

Misfit Toy

First Post
I am getting ready to start a campaign that is taking place in a world of islands. This is my first attempt in trying this style of world and was looking for either supplements or advice on the best way to run it. We are running a 3.5 edition. Taking some aspects from Pirates of Dark Water.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Is your intention that most of the adventuring etc. be on board ship, or will the adventures be mostly on the islands with the ships just used to get from A to B?

Reason I ask is that if you're looking at a mostly ship-board campaign with ship vs. ship combat and all that, prepare to do lots of making it up on the fly. I can't think of any edition of D&D that's had much by way of rules or even suggestions for naval combat, though with all the 3rd-party stuff out there 3.5 (including PF, close enough) is probably your best bet to find something.

Another big question: what cultural era - and thus type of ships - are you considering? There's going to be big differences between Greek trireme combat (lots of ramming) and Viking longship combat (very rare, they usually did their fighting on land) and Trafalgar-era ship-of-the-line combat (lots of slow tacking and maneuvering and missile fire), even more so if your game allows gunpowder and shot.

I dreamed up my own system some time ago (though I freely admit to not being entirely confident in it) for Trafalgar-era combat, replacing cannons with ballistae.

Another consideration: no matter what else you do, if you aren't well versed in weather and how it works you're going to want to learn some. Tides too, though that's dependent on what setting and-or astronomy you're using and often just comes down to random roll at any given time (though be consistent; high and low tides will usually occur about the same time tomorrow as they did today, for example).

Lan-"divine blessings on this ship and all who sail in her"-efan

Misfit Toy

First Post
A combination of coastal and sea combat styles, seeing more of the Trafalgar style of ship combat. I know a little about weather but I hadn't thought of all the different aspects till you reminded me of it.

Celebrim

Legend
The better your boat rules are, the better your campaign is going to be.

Unfortunately, I've never seen rules for boats that are what I would consider excellent, especially when you get up to non-traditional 'Great Age of Sail' style ships.

Some important points:

1) There are skills around handling boats and navigation that are important to a game that occurs about boats and ships.

2) Ships have damage resistance, and the bigger the boat the higher its damage resistance. A ship with the general build of a 72 gun ship of the line has hardness/damage resistance of around 18.

3) As a result of that, realistically, ships of that size are virtually immune to torsion engines like ballista. But you may want to ignore that and have torsion engines roughly as effective as cannon because the side effects of gunpowder in a campaign world (ei, readily available explosives) are significant and tend to promote a non-heroic world.

4) If sailing ships exist in a magical world, then there is by definition a thriving economy around protecting those ships from magic. And in particular, no large and valuable ships can really exist in a world where fireball is a low level ability (and hence common and economical), unless equally common and economical ways of defending objects from fireball exist. In other words, magically protected sailcloth has to be cheaper than a wand of fireballs, and any world where fireball casting mages occur in uncountable numbers (ei, you can't list every 5th+ level wizard in the game world) also has large numbers of similar level hedge wizards producing low cost magical goods for the non-adventuring economy.

5) The sailing characteristics of vessels - how fast they can move both tactically and strategically, at what points to the wind, how much they can carry, how large of crew they need to be minimally functional, how they respond to weather, what can cause a ship to capsize, what happens if they impact something, how crew you need to deal with leaks, how quickly can things be repaired, how much damage can be repaired at sea, and what facilities are required to complete repairs, how magic impacts repairs, how spells effect ships, how a crew's quality impacts performance, how long it takes to build a ship starting from raw materials, how much a ship costs to buy, different quality levels of a ship, and on and on and on are all things you're going to find out you need. Much of that you'll need on day one, and most of it you'll need before say session 30.

I've been involved in seafaring campaigns before, and the first thing you notice whenever you use published seafaring/ship rules is that THEY ARE NEVER PLAYTESTED EVEN BY THE PERSON WHO WROTE THEM. I put that in all caps because not once have I ever tried to use a set of rules where it didn't turn out to be true. No matter how good looking the rules are, once you try to put them in practice, you'll immediately run into huge problems and have a ton of questions the rules don't answer or a ton of balance issues the rules apparently overlooked. You can deal with that either by using lots of hand waving, with the result of having players being asked to play a sandbox campaign where they lack even basic control of the most important aspect of the campaign, or you can hammer out your own rules using what you have as a framework.

I'll give you a very basic example. Pick up any set of rules supposedly covering sea faring in D&D, and ask a very basic question of it, like, "If I erect a Wall of Fire spell on the deck of the ship, is it fixed relative to the deck of the ship, or in absolute space relative to the point I cast it at so that the ship then sails out from under it? Is the same thing true of a wall of stone or a wall of iron?" If it doesn't address questions like that explicitly, the rules have never been play tested. More comically, if all damaged ships eventually sink (something actually encountered in one set of rules I actually tried to use) regardless of what the crew does, you can guarantee the rules have never been play tested.

Cyvris

First Post
I'll approach this from a "story" set up, since I've run an ocean going campaign once; watch a bunch of shows or movies that involve some form of ship travel. I stole liberally from Waterworld, Battlestar Galatica, Stargate Universe, Firefly, and Master and Commander for the general "story' of my game. Anything that has characters cramped aboard close quarters is great for minor plot mining.

Though it's not all that relevant, I used the Serenity roleplaying game's ship rules for most of my game's ship rules. It's good, though the "ship" itself was never the biggest focus of the game I ran, so must of it was never really used.

All that said, I really want to some year write a "Wooden Ships and Iron Men" style RPG setting. It's one of the few settings that have never really been fleshed out, so would be pretty neat to build.

Misfit Toy

First Post
Cyvris I agree with you on that one. Let me know if you ever do make that RPG setting. I have been looking at a few such shows and movies.

MNblockhead thanks for sharing that resource book.

Last edited:

Dandu

First Post
3) As a result of that, realistically, ships of that size are virtually immune to torsion engines like ballista. But you may want to ignore that and have torsion engines roughly as effective as cannon because the side effects of gunpowder in a campaign world (ei, readily available explosives) are significant and tend to promote a non-heroic world.

Magic ammunition would certainly solve that problem. Both in terms of enchanted bolts and things like Beads of Fireball.

Cyvris

First Post
Cyvris I agree with you on that one. Let me know if you ever do make that RPG setting.

Well, I am now DMing a "Waterworld" style game with my usual group and it's...interesting. I really went all in for "strange" races or heavily modified core races (completely different stat bonuses and such) which has produced some fun results. It's a 4e game, though very house ruled. Current party consists of a Hobgoblin Druid, Minotaur Wizard, Aarakocra Ranger (he shoots his bow with his feet while flapping about), and a "Lobtril" Battlemind, basically a humanoid Mantis Shrimp race I created. They are very short lived (20-30 years) so are all about acting as quickly as possible. Because of general table silliness, it was also decided they are a heavily psionic focused race.

The setting itself is very "dispersed" with lots of floating islands and individual communities spread all across a wide ocean which allows the party pretty free run of things. Mercenary companies prowl the waves, while Dragonborn sail forth from their volcanic islands to conquer, their ships pulled by dragons they long ago subjugated. Throw in a few Dark Sun style city states (Balic, Tyr, Gulg) that have been re-flavored to tone down the Sorcerer King aspect and the "Smokers" from Waterworld, and you've got a pretty good picture of the world. Beneath the waves, Merfolk and Lobtril patrol the depths, battling behemoths from the deeps. At the same time though, a strange darkness spreads across the oceans, living water that snares ships, and dark cults, their followers covered in barnacles and other sea life have started to appear....

You may find some useful information in the thread for my 3.5 pirate campaign, Pirates of the Emerald Coast. It includes weapon lists for firearms, cannons and ship upgrades, which you can download. I also use the rules from the 3.5 book Stormwrack, but most of the stuff is homebrew.

Remove ads