Power Crit + bless weapon = auto crit?

Ave Rage

First Post
The power critical feat (MotW) allows you to make one attack a day that is automatically a threat if it hits. the paladin spell Bless Weapon says that if a threat is rolled against an evil creature it automatically is a critical hit.

It seems very effective when you toss in Smite, power attack, and burst weapons and only works once a day but I havn't seen any other automatic criticals.

Simple question.

Since I'm here, there's a feat called Divine Impact on the netbook of feats ( http://www.datadeco.com/nbofeats/nbofeats010.html ) which at the cost of a turning attempt allows you to ignore the Armor of a creature. It's based off the psionic equivilent but my GM says it's over powered.

I was going to use it with the paladin so he could Divine Might/Smite/Powerattack against an AC of 10 or 11. As devastating as that attack would be, that's one big bang once a day. Using up 2 turn attempts and a smite drains the character. What do you guys think about the feat as we're pretty evenly split on it.

Thanks for any opinions.

Kemrain

First Post
One Big hit per day? Well, because it's so draining, I might allow it IMC. Crits are only so powerful, even with Power attack and all that rot. I just hope you're making this attack with your Holy Avenging Heavy Pick of Doom!

- Kemrain the Comfirmed Critical

Centaur

First Post
Fear the Vorpal Weapon

Just remember that the automatic crit, if combined with a vorpal weapon can be quite dangerous...

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
One Big hit per day? Well, because it's so draining, I might allow it IMC. Crits are only so powerful, even with Power attack and all that rot. I just hope you're making this attack with your Holy Avenging Heavy Pick of Doom!

Don't forget the Burst enhancements...

-Hyp.

Bauglir

First Post
Re: Fear the Vorpal Weapon

Centaur said:
Just remember that the automatic crit, if combined with a vorpal weapon can be quite dangerous...

Fortunately, Bless Weapon can't be combined with vorpal or keen weapons.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
"This transmutation can't affect any weapon that already has a magical effect related to critical hits."

Ah, true.

-Hyp.

Spatula

Explorer
Ave Rage said:
Since I'm here, there's a feat called Divine Impact on the netbook of feats ( http://www.datadeco.com/nbofeats/nbofeats010.html ) which at the cost of a turning attempt allows you to ignore the Armor of a creature. It's based off the psionic equivilent but my GM says it's over powered.
The psionic version costs 5 power points to use, the equivalent of a 3rd level spell slot. Psychic warriors, the ones most likely to take the feat, need their power points to buff themselves up and then need to hold on to some to keep their other psionic feats working. How precious are your turn attempts, really? I'd say your DM is probably right.

Ave Rage

First Post
Thanks for all the posts guys.

Caliban suggested Sorc and I thought about taking the character into that direction. I wanted a true hero, so I put his highest stat (18) into cha with a 16 in str. (the rest in descending order were con/wis/dex/int) so he'll be covered with it comes to the prime casting stat.

The only problem is that a sorcerer derives his power from withen while a paladin relies on his god. These two seem to clash a bit too much.

Torm: Paladin! you smote what was not to be smitten! I banish your powers!
paladin/sorc: meh *continues to kick ass*
Torm: X(

I'll have to look into the spells though... see if I can't pick a few that I can give a religous slant to. Thanks again!

Ave Rage

First Post
Woah, just remembered. Won't the armor check penalties be a bit much for a paladin in full plate with a large steel shield? I'd take a level in cleric but all the spells I'd want to use I could just buy a wand of. Allthough the domain abilities might be nice...

Last edited:

Remove ads