D&D 5E What do we want? Grognardhawk! When do we want it? Mearls!

I know this is satire, but it just feels mean. Like it's crappy all over their play style and choice of the setting because they don't want the setting radically changed to include a half-dozen new races or suddenly have racial equality...

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I know this is satire, but it just feels mean. Like it's crappy all over their play style and choice of the setting because they don't want the setting radically changed to include a half-dozen new races or suddenly have racial equality...
It's the catch-22 of setting reboots. If you make changes in an attempt to modernize, you're being disrespectful to those who value canon or continuity. If you leave it exactly the same, you've lost your rationale for rebooting it in the first place. Setting material is edition agnostic, there's nothing preventing anyone from using their Greyhawk material from 1983 in a 5e game.

manduck

Explorer
Tech? App? Hyperlinks? Good lord, it's like you don't even remember 1983! If there were no tech, apps or hyperlinks in the original box set then they don't exist! You're getting dangerously close to having your Grognard License revoked. If you had referred to the Fighting Man as a Fighter, you'd have your license revoked on the spot. Tread lightly...

machineelf

Explorer
It's the catch-22 of setting reboots. If you make changes in an attempt to modernize, you're being disrespectful to those who value canon or continuity. If you leave it exactly the same, you've lost your rationale for rebooting it in the first place. Setting material is edition agnostic, there's nothing preventing anyone from using their Greyhawk material from 1983 in a 5e game.
Some things don't need rebooting, they just need reprinting.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Some things don't need rebooting, they just need reprinting.
I simply don't see the need if nothing changes. I could see it if material is added, and what was previously vague becomes more fleshed out. But just to have the 1983 material in a new book, when you could just download the pdf seems like wasted effort.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases