Could Trance be a ritual instead of a racial.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Mind over matter : Awaken Magic Device

I have been considering making this a house rule ability in general but it may even work in a interesting fashion by making it a martial practice. The Warrior in 1e was supposed to be 'better' at ie able to use more magic items sure that context has faded but what if...

Sometimes where lore fails sheer chutzpah can succeed
time 10 minutes
cost 1 healing surge

"You are mine, damn it!, I know the bloody thing can do its trick it has done it before and besides even if I cant figure out how it works maybe I can force it to obey"

in desperate act supreme will, mind over matter fueled with your incredible potent life force you enable an item that has spent its daily power is reactivated for one more use this day.

Alternate flavor (Perhaps Warlock or just appropriate for a magic weapon) text Bood Fueling: with blood from your own body you waken the hunger of the spirits that live in this item so they will serve you once more.

One thing I consider is that the rituals and practices in you game can affect the flavor of it considerably. There are many many rituals in 4e including some I might not include in a particular game world. Some of the rituals i have seen are way too costly or high level for what they do. Heck classically I double the level of the raise dead ritual/spell.

It would be really really nice to have enough martial practices that doing that controlling access to martial practices felt a viable thing.

One of the reasons I chose to distinguish what I run now from 4e by giving it its own name. The mechanics are similar enough that mostly I can just grab 4e material and use it, with no more effort than reflavoring or releveling a 4e monster ever took. Its not that I think the 4e material isn't good, but a lot of stuff EVOLVED and a lot of times they clearly did things early in the game, or incrementally, and the result was less awesome than it could have been if it had come together fully-fledged on day one.

I take as the prime example the whole idea of 'Arcane' as a power source, something that in the end consumed much of the rest of the power source's distinctiveness and just didn't make the game better. It obviously was a good choice as "this is like D&D has always been" and seemed to make sense, but over time it turned into a real problem.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I take as the prime example the whole idea of 'Arcane' as a power source, something that in the end consumed much of the rest of the power source's distinctiveness and just didn't make the game better. It obviously was a good choice as "this is like D&D has always been" and seemed to make sense, but over time it turned into a real problem.

Nods they made the Witch class a type of wizard.... wtf, we have warlocks (and honestly also invokers) both of which have closer flavor out of the box. Why not give a form of cantrip to some of these other classes and put evocative witch spells under the warlock banner.

Nods they made the Witch class a type of wizard.... wtf, we have warlocks (and honestly also invokers) both of which have closer flavor out of the box. Why not give a form of cantrip to some of these other classes and put evocative witch spells under the warlock banner.

Yeah, well, I'm certainly dealing with this issue in HoML. I just plain deleted Arcane, it simply doesn't exist. My current list of sources includes Life, Shadow, Elemental, Spirit, and Martial. I could include Psionic in there, it has some traction in terms of being the 'pure mental discipline' counterpart to Martial. I'm not sure I see a strong reason for it though, there's nothing really specific that begs for a psionic source TBH.

The one issue is then simply what the heck IS a 'wizard'? I just don't know. If the class simply denotes a character who studies magic generally as an academic discipline and doesn't focus on a particular power source, then I feel like it begins to take on the omni-capable 4e wizard that runs all over flavor. OTOH I'm not sure what the alternative is. I suppose 'Wizard' could literally be nothing more or less than a sort of 'epic destiny' (then it might take on connotations similar to Merlin or 'The Sorcerer' from the TV show Once Upon a Time I have to admit Storybrook would make a pretty bad-assed campaign setting, hehe).

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I think the designers at the end of the edition had little or no loyalty to design conventions even those which worked just fine... and the witch being a Wizard subclass is a fair highlight to that.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I have been considering making this a house rule ability in general but it may even work in a interesting fashion by making it a martial practice. The Warrior in 1e was supposed to be 'better' at ie able to use more magic items sure that context has faded but what if...

Sometimes where lore fails sheer chutzpah can succeed
time 10 minutes
cost 1 healing surge

"You are mine, damn it!, I know the bloody thing can do its trick it has done it before and besides even if I cant figure out how it works maybe I can force it to obey"

in desperate act supreme will, mind over matter fueled with your incredible potent life force you enable an item that has spent its daily power is reactivated for one more use this day.

Alternate flavor (Perhaps Warlock or just appropriate for a magic weapon) text Bood Fueling: with blood from your own body you waken the hunger of the spirits that live in this item so they will serve you once more.

I guess the advantage of this over the house rule? is that it ties another use for Heroic surges... I mean healing surges to the martial classes.

Imagine a wizard taking a fighter multi-class . so he can learn how to use his Chi to force magic items to work one more time ;)

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I guess the advantage of this over the house rule? is that it ties another use for Heroic surges... I mean healing surges to the martial classes.

Imagine a wizard taking a fighter multi-class . so he can learn how to use his Chi to force magic items to work one more time ;)

That ought to at least give Tony Vargas a nice humming feeling ;)

And honestly you are bound to have things which work better as a Martial Practice than a ritual and vice Versi.

edit how do you mention people with a space in their name I mean I am easy and so is [MENTION=80342]morris[/MENTION]

Last edited:

That ought to at least give Tony Vargas a nice humming feeling ;)

And honestly you are bound to have things which work better as a Martial Practice than a ritual and vice Versi.

edit how do you mention people with a space in their name I mean I am easy and so is [MENTION=80342]morris[/MENTION]

I believe it 'just works', like saying [MENTION=996]Tony Vargas[/MENTION] and magically he's summoned. Lets see how far we can get with that! (@Hastur Hastur Hastur, nuts it did. aaagghhhh

Remove ads