Magic items lessened in value due to buying in char creation?

Are magic items too common in current games?

• Yes there are too many items

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • No there aren't enough

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • About average

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Don't know

Votes: 2 22.2%

Grishnak

First Post
Our group used to have a running joke with our dm that magic items were rare and we would grumble over this and generally take the piss when we got a naff item like a spoon of gruel creating, then a player found the magic buying section in 3e and we started to use it at 11th level.
Now I know chars of that level would have items but I feel that you get way too many items, taking away the value of finding items. I'm basing this on facts like finding a +1 weopon was a big deal in 2e and my only ever +5 weopon in 2e was a fluke roll for a new char, my best found was +3.
Obviously there will be players who have had lots of items and are used to it but I like to think of things as a bit special and trasure it, now it's a case of it's only a +2 item i'll buy a new 1 with my money soon.
Anyway it's a poll so vote away :)

Coredump

Explorer
Sorry, but the poll doesn't make sense. You could ask if they are too prevelant in *your* campaign, or in *my* campaign; but I get the feeling we are in two very different campaigns.

In my campaign, not everytown has a "Sears catalog of Magic" that you can leaf through and pick what ever you want. If yours runs that way, than I would think magic is too easy and too plentiful. But, IMO.

I am finding that magic items with newly created/added characters is becoming a problem. The types/bonuses/inherent abilities of the items causes balance issues that are beyond DM ingame control.

Normally, I can introduce items that I feel will not unbalance the party as treasure. When bringing in new characters to replace lost ones, I hate to say no but I will be forced to now.

The reason I voted "I Don't Know" is it really comes down to the DM. I am relieseing this more and more as characters of low level are taking on CR's 4+ levels of them and doing fine since the magic items chosen stack so nicely. I have had PCs will +1 NA, Deflection, and armor enhancements giving a +3 but at a fraction of the cost. The lowest AC I have in my group now is a 21 and he has Studded Leather.

It is my failure as a DM to control this but I do think the PC starting money could be adjusted to be lower. In the future I will make that a house rule along with possibly I supply a list for new character's to chose from versus going through all the books the player's have (which is plenty).

Good question but I feel it is the DM's responcibility more than the game rules.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases