Mystic soulknife questions

ShogunAssassin

First Post
I am playing a level 5 Mystic Soulknife, Dwarf (trained through elves which the DM allowed +2dex +1int)
I rolled stats and with the race bumbs they are:

14 str
18 dex
16 con
18 int
14 wis
6 cha

at the moment I am feeling the class is really overpowered, for example I took:

Psionic Weapon
Giant Growth
Nomadic Chameleon

I recently crit an enemy and was concentrating on Augmented Weapon and hit them with Lethal Strike (5 psy points) 2d8+10d10+7 which I ended up getting 72 points of damage, is this attack overpowered for level 5 if not why?

Do I have to announce Lethal Strike before the hit?

RAW does Augmented Weapon stack (+3 hit & damage for 5 psy points) with Hone the Blade (+2 hit & damage for 5 psy points) and if so why?

Does Giant growth focus 5' reach stack with Orge form 5' reach = 10' reach?

As for my two blades: a soul knife is a martial melee weapon so that means attack one adds my dex to damage?

Does Psionic Weapon focus do nothing for me other then adding "magical to the damage type" until level 6 where I focus on my off hand weapon and it then adds my dex or str?

If theres any other tips or advice for playing this character please let me know

zaratan

First Post
Reasons why you think is overpowered:
- you rolled stats and have great ones. Point buy would be different
- your DM don't make the standart 6 to 8 encounters day with 2 short rests. So you can burn all your resources in one encounter and them long rest. You probably would think they are underpowered if your dm did 6-8 encounter before long rest.
-A fighter with great weapon master can do more damage than you, with less resources, but is harder to hit.

Yes, you need to announce lethal strike before hit. Brutal force you could announce after hit, but is a d6 instead of d10.
Argumented weapon and hone the blade stack.

Enviado de meu SM-G900MD usando Tapatalk

tglassy

Adventurer
I recently crit an enemy and was concentrating on Augmented Weapon and hit them with Lethal Strike (5 psy points) 2d8+10d10+7 which I ended up getting 72 points of damage, is this attack overpowered for level 5 if not why?

You critted. Which means the normal damage would have been 36. I don't see that as overpowered.

Do I have to announce Lethal Strike before the hit?

You embue it, and it takes effect the next time you hit, so yes, it has to be announced first.

RAW does Augmented Weapon stack (+3 hit & damage for 5 psy points) with Hone the Blade (+2 hit & damage for 5 psy points) and if so why?

Yes, because Hone the Blade lasts 10 minutes without concentration, and Augmented weapon is concentration, so there's no reason why they wouldn't stack.

Does Giant growth focus 5' reach stack with Orge form 5' reach = 10' reach?

Yes, because it says your reach increases for each one. no reason why it wouldn't stack.

As for my two blades: a soul knife is a martial melee weapon so that means attack one adds my dex to damage?

Martail weapon just means they're martial weapons, so you have proficiency. But they also have the Finesse property, and that means you can use dex instead of str.

Does Psionic Weapon focus do nothing for me other then adding "magical to the damage type" until level 6 where I focus on my off hand weapon and it then adds my dex or str?

It makes the damage psychic instead of physical. Helpful when fighting something with immunity to physical damage. Add modifiers after level 6, though I suppose that means it would work on your off hand weapon.

If theres any other tips or advice for playing this character please let me know

Personally, I like Nomadic Step more than Chameleon. Being able to teleport around is great. Also, Adaptive Body, or Beast Form, are great utility as well. Just a thought.

zaratan

First Post
About focus of psionic weapon in off hand, nothing say you add mod to damage after lvl 6, it say you can't add before it. So you'll not add mod in your off hand if you don't have it yet.

Enviado de meu SM-G900MD usando Tapatalk

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
This thread reminds me that I want to build a Nomad, teleporting Archer. Or teleporting swordfighter...hrm...

Do Nomad and Soul Knife mix well?

Dangit, more reading I don't have time for today...

ShogunAssassin

First Post
Great thanks for answering those questions, so to get my dex to add to my off hand soul knife damage I still have to pick up dual weapon which is fine as it also gives me the +1 AC, I really liked the look of Nomadic Step so I might swap that out instead of Chameleon (which i would pick up at later levels) Psionic Restoration is also next on the list as we have a cleric in our party who doesnt heal :D

neogod22

Explorer
So a few things, 1. You have a cheater character. You can't get high elf racial stats by training with an elf. That's like trying to say your dwarf if 10' tall because he hung out with giants, but if your DM allowed you to take those stats, that's on him. 2. I'm guessing you "rolled" your stats instead of using the point buy system, which will explain them.

OK now with your questions about the powers.

Does hone the blade and augment weapon stack?
No. The reason why is, the are the same damage type (none) and according to the rules in the PHB, you go with the higher of the 2.

Does ogre form and giant growth focus stack on the reach?
DM'S call on that one. Because of the no stacking rule, probably a no.

Psionic Weapon focus will cause you not to be able to use your STR or DEX modifier on damage for either weapon until level 6. At level 6, you can still only use your STR or DEX modifier for damage ON YOUR MAIN ATTACK ONLY. Your off hand doesn't get a damage modifier, unless you multi-class into fighter and take the 2 weapon fighter fighting style. So since your soul knives already do psychic damage, there is no reason to use that focus, or probably to even take that discipline.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

zaratan

First Post
So a few things, 1. You have a cheater character. You can't get high elf racial stats by training with an elf. That's like trying to say your dwarf if 10' tall because he hung out with giants, but if your DM allowed you to take those stats, that's on him. 2. I'm guessing you "rolled" your stats instead of using the point buy system, which will explain them.

OK now with your questions about the powers.

Does hone the blade and augment weapon stack?
No. The reason why is, the are the same damage type (none) and according to the rules in the PHB, you go with the higher of the 2.

Does ogre form and giant growth focus stack on the reach?
DM'S call on that one. Because of the no stacking rule, probably a no.

Where this come from? They aren't the same effect, both are bonus. I really don't remember that rule in PHB.

OP: Dual wielder don't give you mod in damage for off hand, only fighting style does.

neogod22

Explorer
Where this come from? They aren't the same effect, both are bonus. I really don't remember that rule in PHB.

OP: Dual wielder don't give you mod in damage for off hand, only fighting style does.
On page 205. Combining magical effects.

neogod22

Explorer
The only way they stack is if they are different damage types, for example, fire damage, cold damage and necrotic damage will stack because they are different types, but if it's fire (+3) and fire (+5), then the higher one wins, it's been like that in multiple editions.

Remove ads