D&D 5E Ironfang Invasion (IC)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
"The news is mixed. We have found a guide that knows of the caves, but all the others are dead, as is everyone in a nearby hamlet. The legion is searching for us. And the caves are occupied by troglodytes.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Lal nodded sagely

"It could be a lot better to be sure... but it could be worse. This guide, Renalt, he needs time to recover, but he will be a very useful ally to have once he's back on his feet. And that storm... yeah it was nasty, but I am sure it erased tracks and bought us time"

Lal looked in the direction the caves were (or he hoped!) and added.

"... as far as the troglodytes... well, to be honest, I have no idea what they are, but we will prevail!"

River Song

Explorer
"It will be some time before Renalt is fit to travel," Vin mused. "Renalt, can we get you to draw a map of what you know of the location of the cave and the possible layout? Any information on these troglodyte creature would also be invaluable."

Greenmtn

Explorer
Harb Half-Elf Paladin

Until they get a chance to talk to Aubrin Harb does his best to help fix the camp back up.

Before speaking Harb looks around to make sure that none of the townspeople are within ear shot.

"Renalt, Do the rangers have a defensible location other than the caves we could use? Here is my fear about going to the caves. The creatures that inhabit it now are one thing, but we have already seen that the Ironfangs will go to great lengths to find us and they have prisoners. If they are torturing townsfolk for information on us they are likely going to be looking for these caves as well. I hope that I am wrong and they are treating their prisoners better, but..."

eayres33

Explorer
Aubrin shook her head for a moment, “Troglodytes, well the way our luck has been going it couldn’t have been any other way could it.”

Aubrin forced a smile, “Well it could be worse, the Legion could have found away to the caves, and more likely than not if the Legion thinks Troglodytes have taken up there they will probably give it a wide birth. Rarely do troglodytes have anything of value, well at least not enough to waste time fighting them for.”

She grinned at Lal, “I wouldn’t worry too much about the troglodytes, if you can get passed their smell they are usually easily frightened. I’d like to thank you all again, we wouldn’t have made it this far without you,” she says. “Everyone wants you to know how much we appreciate what you’ve done for us. We’re going to keep pulling together until we find a place to call home. With you on our side, we will find that home. In the meantime, I’ve got something to show you.”

Aubrin picks up a staff and holds it upright in both hands. A crossbeam has been tied to the tip of the staff and a green scarf hangs down like a banner. Two bristly pine branches lie across the top, tied down to the crossbeam with twine. “We decided we needed a symbol,” she says proudly, “Something to rally us. What do you think?”

Renalt nodded at Vin’s request, “I can draw you a map to the caves, that won’t be hard to find.”

Looking over to Harb Renalt’s face hardened, "we have several forts in the woods, and I even know where one is, but that road is long and hard and there are far worse things than troglodytes that we will find on that path.”

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Lal noded to Aubrin. "A fine symbol indeed!". He had no idea what it meant. Was great the color of nature? Of healing? Of Royalty? Where the pine branches a symbol of Vanuk the Retributor, the toad of justice? It didn't matter, Aubrin was doing her best to keep the refugees together.

After hearing Renalt's assessment of the road ahead, Lal couldn't suppress a wince.

"Renalt, we are looking for these caves as a place of refuge for these people, but if the journey there is so hazardous... perhaps it is not the best. You know these woods well, where else can we hide these people? Or are the caves still the best option?"

eayres33

Explorer
Renalt smiled at Lal, “Sorry if I misspoke, but the path to the caves isn’t that difficult, unless of course we run into those hobgoblin’s, it’s the paths to the ranger’s hidden forts that are perilous.”

Renalt paused for a second, “though once I recover and we get these people to a place of relative safety, hidden from those black-blooded monster’s sending out a small party to check on the Forts would be a good idea.”

FitzTheRuke

Legend
"Looks like it's going to be one rung at a time." offered Loosh, "First we clear out the caves, then move the non-combatants in, then we go look for a better place to live. This occupation can't last forever, can it?"

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Ah, very wise indeed Loosh! Thank you Renalt for the map and the advice.

Lal installed his tabar over his shoulder as he usually did when he walked long distance. He looked at the others. So... what's a troglodyte?

Greenmtn

Explorer
Harb Half-Elf Paladin

"It sounds like they greatly outnumber us. Is there more than one entrance to this cave system? We are going to need a plan. if we are going to attack a larger force that is held up in a easily defended space."

Remove ads