D&D 5E White Plume Mountain: Tales of the Yawning Portal play report (Spoilerific!)

AntiStateQuixote

Enemy of the State
I DM'd a group through about half of White Plume Mountain last night. I had hoped to complete the full dungeon in one session. I'm a reasonably good DM with 35+ years of playing/DMing D&D. I should have known better. Played for five hours of which about an hour was spent "researching" and traveling to the adventure site before entering.

Setup:
  • Game set in Forgotten Realms.
  • White Plume Mountain is appearing at Mount Hotenow during a twelve hour "convergence" of parts of Oerth and Toril.
  • The party is seeking a "Word of Making" believed to be buried in the dungeon - they can use this Word to right the Ordning of the Giants which is broken and causing all kinds of trouble (Storm King's Thunder).
  • They have a copy of Keraptis's note about the stolen artifacts ... it's a couple of hundred years old.
  • I have removed Blackrazor and Wave from the dungeon. Whelm is there, but modified to better suit our campaign.
  • There will be hints about where to find Blackrazor and Wave (in other dungeons) in White Plume Mountain.
  • The Word of Making is guarded by the oni.
  • I'm not rolling for wandering monsters while they are in the dungeon.

The party:
  • Ald: human totem barbarian 5/champion fighter 4
  • Yonni Forgehammer: hill dwarf life cleric 2/battlemaster fighter 6
  • Kalista Denumont: human death cleric 7
  • Auggi rock gnome diviner wizard 6
  • Amaryllis eladrin diviner wizard 8

Into the Mountain:
Room 1: Spiral Staircase
Spend about 5 - 10 minutes of time (real world and fiction) navigating past the steam at the entrance and down the ladder (modified from staircase). No one takes damage.

Room 2: Riddling Guardian
They never even knew the wall of force was there. Solved the riddle in less than a second. Gynosphinx leaves the dungeon.

At the intersection leading to the three wings I add some description:
  • NW passage continues just like the one you're in: water on the floor, smooth cut stone/earth passage
  • N passage: steam gathers along the ceiling and it's noticeably warmer
  • NE passage: a smell of mildew and rot

Head NE

Kalista spots the green slime and warns Ald giving him advantage to avoid being hit by the slime when it drops. The party retreats slowly back towards the entrance and the slime follows. It's not a threat as long as they move. They circle around it back in the entry room with the ladder and make their way back into the dungeon. It continues to follow. Eventually, at the door to room 4, they kill it with fire. It was never a real threat, but did cost them some time.

In NE passage see split going North to a wooden door (fired an arrow with light cast on it), but choose to continue down easterly passage.

Room 4: Glass Globes
Auggi casts clairvoyance before entering this room. He sees the glass globes and nothing else. The group enters, but Amaryllis stays outside. She's there to reopen the door repeatedly as it opens and closes over the next few minutes.

A great deal of discussion, detect magic as a ritual, light on each spehere, investigation, etc. and eventually they start breaking open globes. They dispatch the monsters pretty easily, taking a small bit of damage (Auggi, Kalista I think were the only two), and they take all of the loot.

Modification here: the keys are necessary to access the "Word of Making" the party is seeking. I describe each key as a skeleton key of identical shape, but different material (copper, ceramic, gold, silver, black iron, lead, glass, iron and a multi-metal twisted rainbow key).

Kalista takes the ring which gives it's speech telepathically to her (instead of out loud to everyone). She relays the message as clearly as she can remember. Fair amount of discussion. It's clear early on that Kalista is the only one really willing to take the risk on the ring. Auggi casts identify as a ritual: the ring has Nystul's magic aura on it and a modified version of magic mouth that works telepathically and it is a ring of protection ... no other powers. Kalista takes the ring and will attune to it at first opportunity.

The party is on a 12 hour clock. They spent an hour climbing the mountain and have now been in the dungeon 80 minutes. They have less than 10 hours left.

Room 5: Numbered Golems
I describe the room as empty except for the pile of body parts embedded in the north wall. They seem to be fresh corpses cut up into pieces and embedded in the walls. They count five torsos and heads and enough limbs to make a total of five compete bodies. Each of the torsos has a number tatooed on its chest. Two of the players immediately recognize that 9 is the only on that is not a prime number.

Auggi steps into the room. A voice booms out ... in Oerth Common which no one understands. Then the heads embedded in the wall start speaking and arguing ... in Oerth Common. Not able to understand what they are saying the party decides to leave. They'll come back later.

Room 18: Hall Pit
They head down the NW passage. Ald easily finds the pit. He's been prodding the floor under the water with a glaive that has light cast on it since they entered the place. Some jumping, swimming and rope hauling gets everyone across the pit with no problems.

Room 19: Metal-Heating Corridor
I played this pretty much as is. On discovery of the heating effect everyone not wearing armor (that is all except Yonni and Kalista) put their metal gear into bags and/or cloaks and tie them off with a rope and drag them across the place. Meanwhile Yonni and Kalista remove their armor (10 minutes) and make their way across the hall. While they are moving I decide that the mass of metal from the armor causes the water to boil. This alerts the ghouls in room 20 who come out and attack.

They get a few swipes, but the only attack that lands hits the elf wizard ... who is immune to ghoul paralyzation. One fireball kills six ghouls. Ald rages and drops the other two with Auggi's help.

Head up the stairs to ...

Room 22: Frictionless Trap
This room drove the party crazy. The player of Ald is a physicist. His character is dumb (INT 8), but he is freaking brilliant and can't stand that they can't solve the room. At one point they tied a rope off to Kalista and cast fly on her. I modified things here ... instead of magic just not working there's a targeted dispel magic on anyone crossing each pit. She fell into the first pit and took damage, but no Super-Tetanus. Ald, with help from the wizards, tries to calculate the correct angle, velocity, etc. to bounce off of the walls, leap straight up before crossing the pits, etc. to land at the other door ... while tied off with a rope.

INT check DC 15 (with advantage help from wizards) to calculate the correct angle.
DEX (athletics) check DC 15 twice ... once for each pit.

He fails the INT check and ends up falling into a pit. Falling damage, but not Super-Tetanus. I am a sad DM.

Auggi wants to try to counterspell the dispel magic effect. I give him an INT (arcana) check DC 20 to identify the source of the dispel magic. He fails. Eventually they retreat from this area to try the North wing.

Time elapsed: 150 minutes in the dungeon plus 1 hour climbing ... they now have 8.5 hours left.

Room 9: Pool and Drain
They pull the plug ... I describe the downward passage as a drain pipe. They have no interest in going down. Also: I do not have Keraptis here. If they had followed it would have just been an alternate exit from the dungeon.

They calculate it will take about an hour for the water to drain. Good time to short rest, spend some hit dice, wizards get back spell slots, fighters get second wind, cleric gets channel divinity.

Room 10: Deceptively Deep Room
Earlier Kalista had fired an arrow with light on it into this room and they saw/heard something swim up and take the arrow and light away.

They know there's a big pool, but not how deep. I've changed it from 15' to 60' deep. Kalista approaches the edge of the pool with an arrow with light cast on it. She waves it around. A "beautiful sea elf" swims to the surface, grabs the arrow ("I let it go") and swims away into the depths.

Auggi approaches and calls out in Elven. The "beautiful sea elf" returns ... and charms Auggi. He dives into the water. Ald drinks a potion of water breathing that Yonni hands to him and dives in after Auggi. The other kelpie tries to charm Ald. He burns inspiration to get advantage on the save and makes it. A raging, waterbreathing barbarian makes quick work of two kelpies especially with others pelting from above with spells.

Auggi shakes off the charm and swims to the surface long before drowning (Wow! It takes 1 minute PLUS 1 minute times CON modifier to drown!). Ald heads into the kelpie lair and loots it, all the while the player of Yonni shakes his head anticipating they'll need a new barbarian soon. Auggi joins Ald, casts detect magic and they take all the loot.

Room 11: Spinning Cylinder
This was a lot more fun than I anticipated. The group scouts out the place. Auggi thinks he sees some movement at the end of the hall (arrow slit), but isn't sure. Some chatter about how to navigate and Kalista runs towards the cylinder, drops her shield flat, kneels on it and "surfs" through the cylinder ... as Burket fires a flaming arrow ... the cylinder bursts into flame, Kalista takes some damage but slides through the cylinder and slams her shield up against the wall covering the arrow slits.

The rest of the party can't see Kalista for two rounds (the fire only burned for 3 rounds total and I ruled that as it was going out on round 3 they could then see but obscured) ... they stand ready to act, but afraid to enter the fiery cylinder while she fights Burket and Snarla. Fear spell doesn't affect Kalista. Haste on Burket makes him pretty dangerous and he lays into Kalista. She is using vampiric touch to hurt Snarla and regain some HP all the while calling for help.

The fire clears and Ald blows on his (modified) Horn of Valhalla summoning two berserkers that melee Snarla to no effect (werewolf ... immune to non-magical attacks). Meanwhile Amaryllis casts polymorph on Burket turning him into a rabbit. Yonni and Ald both stumble through the cylinder (reduced DC to 15 since the oil is gone, but they still failed). Eventually spells take out Snarla. Burket the fluffy white bunny is easy meat for the rest of the party so I hand wave his efficient murder.

Loot the place. Eager Auggi opens Snarla's spellbook and takes some damage from explosive runes. Stinking cloud is a dumb trap spell when there's no monster around to take advantage of the situation.

Room 14: Flood Doors
"Well this is odd. I wonder if we're going drown?" Doesn't matter. They press ahead opening each of the three flood doors.

Room 15 Boiling Lake and Room 17: Boiling Bubble
I do my best to describe this as clearly as a I can. It's like a plastic bubble. "You mean like an undersea complex?" Yes. That. Exactly. It looks really fragile.

See huge crab. Attack huge crab. Ald (and his two berserkers) and Yonni charge into melee with the crab. Everyone else hangs back about 60' and targets with spells. Auggi briefly contemplated lightning bolt but the horrified screams of "No!" from others around the table changed his mind. Slow it is. That spell pretty much ended the fight ... but Amaryllis really wanted to use vitriolic sphere "targeted behind the crab so that it doesn't hit Ald or Yonni." Are you sure? Make an INT (arcana) check for me. Rolls low. OK. Fire your spell ... the crab is hurt and there's acid on the walls and floor.

Ald spends another round fighting ... and uses action surge for two more attacks to finish off the crab. The rest of the group (including Yonni) has already run away knowing what was coming next.

The boiling bubble bursts. Ald takes 44 fire damage. No problem. He's a raging barbarian. He spends some movement to swim to the sinking chest, swim towards the doors ... onto dry ground and run ... to fall 15 feet short of the first flood door ... everyone else is ready to close the doors and let Ald drown or boil to death when Amaryllis casts wall of ice right behind Ald blocking the rushing boiling water for one round ... long enough to get beyond the flood door and close it.

Five hours in ... it's getting late. We call the game for the night.

They are trying to figure out how to finish the dungeon in the next 7 hours before the convergence ends.

Alternatives include: 1) giving up their quest; 2) risk continuing forward without a long rest ... low on spell slots. 3) Or maybe take a long rest inside the dungeon and risk getting stuck in Oerth.

They have information that suggests several more "convergence" events will occur at various locations over the next few months. My guess: they'll take a long rest in the dungeon, get transported to Oerth, finish their quest, and then try to figure out how to get home. They have discussed banishment as an option for one of the casters to send everyone else home.

Good times.

machineelf

Explorer
(Wow! It takes 1 minute PLUS 1 minute times CON modifier to drown!).

Yeah. This works fine in non-combat dungeon-crawl mode where each round is 1 minute. But it is way too long in combat rounds where each round is 6 seconds.

That's why I modified this in my home brew. I ruled it as 30 seconds as a minimum for a Con of 10 and below to hold your breath (5 rounds), with an additional 12 seconds per each con modifier (an extra two rounds per modifier) during combat rounds. With my reasoning being that in the midst of combat you are unable to hold your breath as long because you are exerting yourself so much more.

Great write-up!

machineelf

Explorer
Also, after reading through the conversion, it seems to me like the conversion suffers from the same problem as the Tomb of Horrors conversion: traps are way too weak, as are many of the combat encounters.

Was that your feeling too after running your first session?

Henry

Autoexreginated
LOL! I had almost forgotten about the Super-Tetanus. There are things that do show that Lawrence Schick hadn't meant for the module to be published exactly as-is, and I feel like that's one of 'em. Thank you for the play report!

Something just clicked for me, reading some old threads on WPM. I haven't looked - is the room still described as "totally frictionless"? If so, a lot of people's solutions using bridges or spikes wouldn't even work, if so, because bridges or the act of driving a spike in would require a small amount of friction, no matter how small.

Last edited:

AntiStateQuixote

Enemy of the State
Also, after reading through the conversion, it seems to me like the conversion suffers from the same problem as the Tomb of Horrors conversion: traps are way too weak, as are many of the combat encounters.

Was that your feeling too after running your first session?

The combat encounters were generally very easy and finished in 1 or 2 rounds. This group is a little overpowered for the adventure (suggested for level 7 characters).

What made it interesting is the ability to sprinkle in damage here and there (doesn't have to be much) in encounters and from traps. I have found that HP and spell slot (sometimes other abilities) attrition is the key to challenging a party in D&D, and it's unlikely you can do it with single combat or trap encounters. Make it a slow burn. To make that slow burn happen you have to control their ability to rest. That's why I put them on a 12 hour clock for this adventure. I didn't want them to have 2 or 3 encounters and retreat for a long rest. It's worked great.

They have completed a bit over half of the dungeon and now really want a long rest (Auggi and Kalista are low on spell slots; several people hurt). A short rest will solve the hit points for everyone by spending hit dice, but not replenish spell slots for the wizard and cleric. Now they get to make an interesting decision: continue their quest low on resources and risk death OR abandon their quest OR take a long rest in the dungeon and risk being trapped in a strange, foreign world.

AntiStateQuixote

Enemy of the State
LOL! I had almost forgotten about the Super-Tetanus. There are things that do show that Lawrence Schick hadn't meant for the module to be published exactly as-is, and I feel like that's one of 'em. Thank you for the play report!

Something just clicked for me, reading some old threads on WPM. I haven't looked - is the room still described as "totally frictionless"? If so, a lot of people's solutions using bridges or spikes wouldn't even work, if so, because bridges or the act of driving a spike in would require a small amount of friction, no matter how small.

The room is still "totally fictionless" and has been very amusing for me. Ald, the barbarian, tried the "drive a spike in the floor" trick - I called for ability checks: STR DC 15 (easy for him) and DEX DC 15 (not so easy). He failed. The spike went sliding around the floor, bounced off the walls and fell in a pit.

Good times!

AntiStateQuixote

Enemy of the State
Session 2

So ... they didn't complete as much as I expected and didn't long rest in the dungeon.

One of our players who was missing last week joined the group with a new PC, a half elf rogue (3)/bard (2). In game story: she stayed outside and guarded the camp while the more accomplished adventurers explored the dangerous dungeon. She entered alone when she saw a party of high elves enter the dungeon many hours after the PC party had entered (more on that later).

So, having burst the boiling bubble the party took a short rest between two of the pressure doors. During the short rest both of the diviner wizards scribed comprehend languages from Snarla's spellbook instead of taking advantage of the short rest. Ald spent some hit dice to heal from the boiling water, regain short rest abilities, etc.

During the short rest, Elyse, the new character, observed a party of five high elves (actually eladrin) make their way into White Plume Mountain. She follows them at a distance. I rolled randomly to determine where the elves went ... they go into the west wing of the dungeon which the party had cleared up to the frictionless room. The eladrin party leader is a Warlock of the Archfey from Volo's Guide to Monsters and uses Conjure Fey to summon an Annis Hag (also from Volo's) in the frictionless room standing beside the far door. The hag opens the door, the eladrin toss it a rope ... they navigate the frictionless room while Elyse observes from the foot of the stairs. Elyse can't figure out how to cross the room so starts to head back out and runs into the rest of the party coming out of the north wing after their rest.

Elyse tells them about the eladrin and it looks like they got across the frictionless room. The party decides to try the east wing again. Augi and Amaryllis both cast comprehend languages as a ritual.

Room 5: Numbered Golems
As mentioned, they recognized 9 as the only prime number instantly. Hearing the "riddle" Augi walks across the room, touches the torso number 9 and the party gets a flesh golem servant.

Room 6: Turnstile
The figure out how the Turnstile works and Augi commands the golem to destroy it ... done.

Room 7: Geysers and Chains
This room presented a little bit of challenge. They watched the geysers for a bit, but couldn't see where the 2nd geyser was (I ruled vision obscured beyond 30 feet). Ald drinks a potion of fly and carries Amaryllis and Elyse across the room. They took a little damage from one of the geysers, but make it across. He takes some more damage on the way back to get others making a total of 2 round trips plus one more trip across the room flying while carrying others.

Room 8: Coffin
A vampire! In total magical darkness which they can't dispel ... well, they could have, but for some reason no one thought to use the scroll of dispel magic they had. Anyhow, from out of the darkness the vampire uses charm on Ald. Ald makes his save. A bit later (a few rounds) and he charms Amaryllis successfully. He asks her to come into the darkness and she tries to comply, but the party prevents her. Another couple of rounds (maybe a minute or so?) and the vampire tires of waiting for his meal, steps out and attacks.

This was a VERY tough fight that lasted about 15 or 20 combat rounds and probably an hour of game time. Amaryllis, charmed by the vampire, used her action on most turns to distract Elyse imposing disadvantage on her attacks. Ald and Yonni managed to land many damaging blows, Augi's firebolt did a bit of damage fairly often, but Kalista just could not land a sacred flame to save her life (DC 16 to save, but the vampire is +9 on DEX saves ... he used Legendary Resistance to make one save against sacred flame).

The vampire grappled and bit Ald ... a lot. He used Legendary Actions to bite as often as he could. Combination of healing from doing bite damage plus regeneration 20 and he was tough. He retreated into the darkness three different times when brought below 40 hit points ... I gave them a chance to try to hit him (1 in 10 to target the right square ... disadvantage on attack if successful) ... but he just kept regenerating.

Ald dropped unconscious more than once during the fight and by the end his maximum hit points were down to 20 (out of 86!!!). Yonni took a couple of bite wounds reducing his max hp as well. The vampire used Legendary Resistance to save against a faerie fire that Augi cast.

The final time that the vampire retreated into the darkness the player of Kalista asked if she could use channel divinity to locate the vampire in the darkness. I ruled she could ... for two rounds. Able to "see" the vampire, she calls out to others the vampire's location. I give others a 30% chance to target the correct location and then disadvantage on attack rolls ... eventually they take him down.

They fumble around in the dark, find his coffin and drag it into the light. Stake the vampire, cut off its head and watch the body decompose into ash.

They stumble back into the room find a large box in a pile of thousands of coins. Elyse blindly fills her large sack with coins (1000 coins total; 600 silver, 400 gold) while others drag the box out of the room. A hidden key that Yonni found in the coffin opens the box without triggering the poison needle trap I added to the treasure box. The box contains Whelm (modified somewhat) and spell scrolls.

This party is DONE. There is no way they will continue without a long rest. And they are not going to stay inside the dungeon and get transported to Oerth when the convergence of the planets ends.

-- That pretty much ends White Plume Mountain, but not the game session. They never got to the west wing where Blackrazor wasn't. --

So, they head outside, camp at the base of the mountain. Late in the afternoon, about an hour or so before the convergence ends, they see an eladrin woman come out of the dungeon. She has an Annis Hag with her (I screwed up here. I knew the spell only lasted an hour, but for some reason thought it was one of her 5th level spells and she could cast 3/short rest ... didn't really matter as you'll see).

The eladrin makes her way down the mountain side (one hour trip) and the annis disappears before she gets to the party. They try to parley, she casts dimension door and flees.

Party rests overnight. Next day Ald uses Whelm to cast locate creature and they look for the eladrin. They manage to find her. Augi casts dimension door to bring himself and Elyse near the Eladrin (house rule: dimension door does not limit your passenger to your size or smaller if the passenger is medium size and you are small). Elyse gets a charm person off and uses inspiration to impose disadvantage on the save canceling the elf advantage on saves against charms. The eladrin is charmed by Elyse and is willing to talk to Elyse away from the others. The Eladrin uses dimension door and takes Elyse away from the party.

They talk for 45 minutes or so as the party (locate creature still active) tracks in on them. Elyse learns of the eladrin's adventures in White Plume Mountain and comes to suspect she has the Word of Making on her. The rest of the party arrives. Hold person plus Ald and Yonni grappling and the eladrin is rendered incapable of fighting or fleeing. They take her staff of fire that she got from the Oni and the Word of Making scroll. She is furious, but can't really do anything. They render her unconscious, cast invisibility on her, and leave.

Deciphering the Word of Making scroll is easily another hour-and-a-half of game play. I had an eight foot long prop scroll rolled up with pieces of index cards taped to it with various challenges (ability checks, spell casting, channel divinity, use martial class features, etc.) to get to the end of it. They could stop at any point while deciphering.

Early on there was a radiant fireball that hurt everyone. One of the "Blessings of the Gods" was +1 to all saves or +1 to all skills permanently (basically everyone got their choice of half of a Luck Stone). Another blessing was +2 to an ability score, maximum of 20. At one point the Word of Making was a wish scroll. They chose to keep going, losing the wish but gaining a "greater wish" .... they now have the power to repair the Ordning ... but if they keep going ... something else?

The party is split 3 to 3 on continuing reading the scroll or using it immediately to fix the Ordning. They had returned to their guildhouse in Neverwinter before starting this process, and I injected one of my PCs into the party (it's a shared DM game with three DMs; all of the players, including the DM have 2 or more characters each). Long story short, I tell them each to make a persuasion check, sum the totals on each side, and that's how my character will "vote" about the scroll.

They keep reading the scroll. Each character must permanently sacrifice 10 hit points off of their maximum. The scrolls burns away to ash, and they lose the greater wish but they learn the location of five more Words of Making:
  • The Spark of Magic can be found in the Crypt of Acererak
  • The Power of Death lies in the Den of the Master in the Dungeon of Graves
  • Nature's Wrath lives in the Warlock's Crypt
  • The Breath of Angels is held in the Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth
  • Piercing Darkness holds sway over the Inner Fane of Lloth in Menzoberranzan

They have lost the ability to repair the Ordning (and there will be serious consequences as a result), but they can find another Word of Making to fix it if they want. In the meantime the Eladrin is a member of an ancient race that is returning to Toril to reestablish elven dominance of the North ... and they are pissed. There's likely to be a show of massive, magical elf force at the Sword Coast Solutions guildhouse soon. Current thought: Ceallach Lunachild, the warlock they waylaid, is going to show up at the guildhouse invisible and break a fully charged Staff of Power (retributive strike) in the middle of the common room. That will be the signal for a cadre of eladrin knights and archers to charge into the place and ransack it looking for the Word of Making which is now lost!

Oh yeah ... there are demon lords in the Underdark (Out of the Abyss) and the dwarves of Gauntlegrym are about to launch a new mission to find a Word of Making. The dwarves need the Word to recapture Maegera (fire primordial that fuels the forges in Guantlegrym) who was "stolen" by fire giants (Storm King's Thunder).

This ought to be fun!

Here's Whelm as it exists in our campaign:
Whelm
Intelligent Maul, legendary, requires attunement
  • Bonus to attack and damage equal to half your proficiency modifier (game balance deal here ... no +3 weapons to characters of less than 17th level)
  • Thrown weapon range 20/60; returns on throwing
  • Deals extra +1d8 damage to giants
  • Shock Wave: once per day as an action, strike the ground; each creature of your choice within 60’ of you DC 15 CON save or stunned for one minute (save at end of each turn to end)
  • Always aware of secret or concealed doors within 30’
  • Cast detect evil and good once/day
  • Cast locate creature once/day
  • Sentience: lawful neutral, INT 15, WIS 12, CHA 15; hearing and darkvision to 120’
  • Communicates telepathically with the owner. Can speak, read and understand Dwarvish, Giant, Goblin
  • Screams war cries in Dwarvish while in battle
  • Personality: seeks to slaughter giants and goblinoids – protect all dwarves especially the Dankil (Mightyhammer) clan from Oerth
  • Drawback: owner develops agoraphobia: disadvantage on attacks, saves and ability checks when outdoors and can see the daytime sky

Attached is a photo of the Word of Making scroll.
Word of Making.jpg

Remove ads