D&D 5E 5E Sunless Citadel - CG

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
Whether you have been drawn here by local legends of wealth in the citadel, rumors of a rescue mission with a reward, whispers about a magical fruit, or being dragged along by someone interested in these things, you have found your way here, the Village of Oakhurst.

Looking to be an agricultural community of about 1,000 people, the village bakes under the midsummer heat. You notice the following locations: a village hall, a jail, a general store, a shrine, a blacksmith and an inn.

GM: Okay, your characters all arrive in Oakhurst, I don’t assume you know each other, but its unusual that so many visitors popped up at once.
Rogue's Gallery
OOC Thread

Last edited:

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Outside the village hall, a swineherds raises a hand in greeting to Kuhl. Kuhl raises his chin in response. They may have met, but he is not sure -- it may simply be one worker greeting another. The staff in the tall man's hand rests easily on his shoulder. He carries little.

"Any work these days?" Kuhl asks to pass the time. A woman beside the swineherd says something about goblins, and Kuhl nods knowingly. "Surely there can't be so many that the things couldn't be stopped?" he asks.

"Maybe I'll stop the goblins."

Last edited:

TallIan

Explorer
Edgar, Paladin 1

Tired and dusty from the walk Edgar surveyed the town. "Seems quite enough, though I would not want to be working in this heat." Edgar says to Tordak, his companion on this trip, "And I don't imagine goblins would be attacking in broad daylight."

Edgar had developed a hatred for creatures ever since his master had been killed by them, not that he had spared any love for them before, and had heard they had been selling a magical fruit to this village. Edgar reasoned that however the goblins were getting their hands on the fruit it wasn't good.

[B "I would think that the best place to find out more about this magic apple or the goblins that sell it would be the tavern or the town hall." Edgar stated, "I am going to the shrine first, I will be about an hour, then your choice of beer or bureaucrats. " He finished jokingly.

[SBLOCK=Mini Stats]
Passive Perception: 12
AC: 16
Initiative: +0
HP: 12/12 (HD: 1/1d10)

Offense:
Halberd +5 10ft 1d10+3S
Halberd (Bonus action): +5 5ft 1d4+3B
Shortsword: +5 5ft 1d6+3P
Javelin: +5 30/120 1d6+3P

Devine Sense 3/3
Lay on Hands 5/5[/SBLOCK]

purplerook

First Post
Ara, Elf Wizard 1

Arriving in Oakhurst, Ara makes for the Inn. Ara looks over the Inn - both outside and inside - checking for the possibilities of painting. How does the sign outside look. How is the Inn decorated internally. After the inspection, Ara will approach the Innkeeper and display some of his work - both pictures in his sketchbook and a few illusions. Ara will see if the Innkeeper trade some painting and perhaps an illusion or two in the evening for Room and Board (using my By Popular Demand feature).

If successful in getting settled at the Inn, Ara will start 'working the crowd'. Sketch a caricature or two. If the Innkeeper agrees, Ara will start a mural on one of the walls and paint in a few of the regulars. As he is sketching, Ara will work in a few questions about what is happening locally. If the locals are talking about goblins, magic apples, lost adventurers or new arrivals; Ara will be interested and ask questions, but will not push the topic.

Ara is keeping an eye out for the stereotypical 'adventurer' type - e.g., heavily armored and armed.Ara is making it fairly obvious that he is a magic user - e.g., some use of prestidigitation and or mage hand. He knows that the magic may scare some people, so he is playing on the harmless/eccentric artist part of his persona. If and when any adventurer's show up at the Inn, Ara will engage them in a conversation and if appropriate, offer his services. If pressed by the adventurer's, Ara will mention his familiar - Who the Owl - and his ability to cast powerful spells - like Illusion, and Sleep.

OOC: Ara has an average charisma and no skills in Persuasion or Deception. He is relying on a general friendliness from By Popular Demand "...When strangers recognize you in a town where you have performed they typically take a liking to you." He is collecting gossip, not asking for anything sensitive.

Last edited:

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Kuhl notices other newcomers to town. One whose armour shines as if freshly polished clearly shows him he is not a local. And the elf artist, whose glance casts wide as if looking for someone, but appears never to settle on Kuhl, standing by himself with his stick in his hand.

Obeliske

First Post
Tordak seems cheerful to have arrived finally, mace over one shoulder he responds to Edgar "This heat is nothing compared to the forges back home, ach how I miss em, but I be agreeing about the goblins, whatever the sneaky little gits be up to we aught to find out and put an end to their mischief." "I'll go with ye teh the shrine though I ain't had time for me prayers yet today then if'n yea don't mind I'd like to get teh the tavern for somethin teh eat."

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
Kuhl:
One of the herdsman says, "Them goblins are all in the Sunless Citadel, down the old ravine, 7 miles down the old road." Another adds "I don't know for goblins, but herders don't graze their stock too far afield these days. They're frightened by stories of new monsters that maraud by night. From time to time, cattle and people who have gone out alone at night have been found dead the next day, bearing dozens of needle-like wounds. No one has seen the creatures that cause this mayhem, nor do they leave a discernible trail."

Edgar, Tordak:
You enter a small building setup as a shrine to Pelor. A gnomish woman comes out from behind the altar and introduces herself. "I'm Dem Nackle, the local priest. Is there anything I can do for you weary travelers?"

Ara:
You hear a number of things, but the main thinbg you hear is whisperings about newcomers to the town, and that some locals made and exspedition to the Sunless Citadel a month ago and haven't been heard from since.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Kuhl nods at the herdsman, and looks in the direction of the old road where he indicates.

He's sorry to hear about the cattle herds; but seven miles should be walkable in a day. "Sunless Citadel?" he asks, keeping the conversation going. "Who is its master? or is an old name?" The tall man looks to a nearby well in front of the town hall. "May I take some water? Would you like some?"

TallIan

Explorer
Edgar, Paladin 1

"I have come to pray, and bring Torm's vengeance on those that would blight the innocent. I have heard there are goblins that hold a monopoly on a magic apple that can cure the sick, and sell but one a year. I would see that such a gift does not lie in the hands of evil creatures and be free for all."

[SBLOCK=Mini Stats]
Passive Perception: 12
AC: 16
Initiative: +0
HP: 12/12 (HD: 1/1d10)

Offense:
Halberd +5 10ft 1d10+3S
Halberd (Bonus action): +5 5ft 1d4+3B
Shortsword: +5 5ft 1d6+3P
Javelin: +5 30/120 1d6+3P

Devine Sense 3/3
Lay on Hands 5/5[/SBLOCK]

Obeliske

First Post
Tordak, "Aye, d'ye have a spot I can pray teh Ilmater? I ain't had time fer me mornin ministrations and I'm aimin teh fix that, or is this shrine only in dedication to Pelor?"

If offered a spot Tordak will proceed to pray and mumble to himself while doing so and nothing short of a direct threat to himself or his surroundings will change that for an hour, upon the completion of which he will go in search of Edgar (provided Edgar isn't still here himself).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases