D&D Open "The Soulbound Tomb" - anyone played it?

Zene

First Post
It turns out an upcoming con I'm attending (Gamex in LA) will offer the opportunity to play the 2016 D&D open adventure "The Soulbound Tomb", AL-legal. I don't know anything about it, or about the D&D open format, other than it's typically done at GenCon and is a team-based competition. Not sure if it's going to be run the same way there or not.

But for those of you who've played it: Is it fun? Worth checking out? How does it compare to the regular AL adventures? Does it give rewards (xp, etc) the same as other AL mods, to all players --or just the winning team? Is it lethal, like do the "losing" teams actually die? Or just finish last? If I am going to play it, any tips? I don't want any spoilers, but if there's a certain type of character I should or shouldn't bring to it... like for example if it's mostly combat-focused... that'd be good to know.

(I'm trying to figure out if it's worth 8 hours of my limited con time)

I've played and run it in the highest Tier II level. It's fun but was be deadly when I played it. PC deaths are usually not permanent as there are ways to come back baked into the Open. It's all combat-focused. Rewards are given based on what you tackle (so some magic items are encounter-specific) and some are available at the end (tier segregated) no matter what - division done at the table as usual.

The competitive feature was more for bragging rights than anything else. Speed is paramount if you want a chance to 'win'. You need to enter a challenge, devise a solution and execute it as quickly as possible to be in the running.

Cascade

First Post
(I'm trying to figure out if it's worth 8 hours of my limited con time)

I loved it.

Awards are based upon what you finish so speed and overkill are king.

The puzzles were mixed; some were excellent, others not so much.

Well worth it and highly recommend.

Cascade

First Post
I noticed the Open wasn't listed for Origins this year - 2017. Did it move? Hasbrocon perhaps? Or is it on hiatus again?

Saturday at 2 pm

Capture.PNG

Remove ads