D&D 5E Paladins and Find Steed- the Poll!

Is Find Steed a Core Paladin Ability?

• Absolutely. Find Steed is the Horse-y Divine Smite.

Votes: 14 29.2%
  • Sure. It's, like, necessary for being smug.

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • Meh. It's like cure light wounds, or something, but with a horse.

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • Not really. I use my spell slots smiting.

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • No. Paladins don't need a mount to ride in on their high horse.

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • I once saw a Paladin riding a gnome. I'm laughing so hard I can't answer the poll.

Votes: 3 6.3%

• Poll closed .

Fanaelialae

Legend
I wouldn't call it a core feature. More like an optional feature. If you want to ride around on a horse you can. If not, you're not really missing out on anything. Given the duration, I don't really see it and smite as being in competition.

guachi

Hero
Compared to the smite thread, this one is a horse of a different color.

I think Find Steed is a core ability and turning it into merely a spell reigns in the fun. The 1e version of a Paladin getting his steed spurred us on to adventure! Now we are saddled with the Paladin casting a simple spell. :(

WOTC needs to pony up a proper way for a Paladin to find his steed.

guachi

Hero
We could beat a dead horse and talk about GWM, if you'd like.

Now, 5e isn't so perfect that any changes could be considered gilding the lily. Note: this is different than gelding the filly, which is the name of a very unfortunate wizard spell gone horribly wrong.

I believe, deep in my mare-o, that 5e is a hit because of its old-school feel. And if I have to ride a hobby horse of MOAR OLD-SCHOOL feel, then I will.

Cast the spell. It tells you where the steed is. But to get there you have to cross the Plain of Agonising Exposition and battle your way through the Caves of A Thousand XP to find it.
Boom. Summon Nag is now Conjure Adventure!
I'd be tempted to make it only castable as a ritual, in a holy place, wearing the appropriate clothing and with the right materials on hand (flagellation birch twigs, mood music, Yankee candles).

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Iconic. But no problem with the Bard stealing it.

Was this just a spur of the moment post?

Pretty lame.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
So in another thread, I was asked about the Paladin's Find Steed ability. Is it a class hallmark, or has it been relegated to a second level spell because Paladins are too busy smiting (smoting?) to ride around on their horsey all day?

And while I know the answer to this,* I thought I'd throw it out there to the Actually of Pedants. Is Find Steed (aka Summon Mount) a go-to feature of Paladins, like Divine Smite, or Aura of Smug, or is it just a useless spell, like, Purify Food & Drink? When you think Paladin, do you think Lone Ranger? Is a paladin without a horse, a paladin, of course, of course?

As always, a poll!

*Because, dear reader, I know the answer to everything. All complicated questions have a simple, easy-to-understand, Lowkey13-approved, wrong answer.

My Gnome Paladin has a Steed that is a shaggy dog named Saladin!

Remove ads