Introducing New Player to Epic Campaign

MwaO

Adventurer
Anyway, I can see what MwaO is saying, but I judge purely by results, and hybrids didn't make the game better on the whole. They added a lot of fun discussion to charops I'm sure, but not much else.

Except a lot of the fun discussion of CharOp was pointing out how it did add a lot of interesting options to the game as a whole.

As an example, Defender|Defender. Every last Defender|Defender combo is workable provided you fix AC for Warden & Swordmage and realize you don't absolutely have to have an 18 in every primary stat post-racial, especially for Battleminds+Str Classes. And that's because as a default, they all have the option of multi-marking in exchange for the superior single class lockdown of their mark.

That's often a very fun subset of the optimized game - doing multi-marking, but unlike the optimized game, you don't then by definition fix for lack of lockdown because you don't necessarily realize how to do it. For someone who likes Defender, this then opens up the realization of just how important positioning can be.

X|Leader can often solve the very common problem of "No one wants to be the healer of the party, but we all want someone else to do it."

Striker|Tough Class+Fix AC can often solve the problem 'Player Y doesn't know what he's doing and always wants to play a glass cannon.' Sorcerer|Cavalier(or Paladin) with Paladin Armor proficiency.

Etc...

Tony Vargas

Legend
Or we don't have enough players for all the roles...
I've run for two and three player parties, as well as for twelve-player ones. Combats go a lot faster, controllers really do become pretty dispensable, and classes with strong secondary roles (like the Paladin) become really nice options.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases