D&D 5E (IC) Vault of the Dracolich (Dispensables)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
GM: The introduction to this game can be found at http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...-of-the-Dracolich/page7&p=7095989#post7095989

This is the thread for the characters of [MENTION=40234]Celestial[/MENTION], [MENTION=6865745]gargoyleking[/MENTION], [MENTION=6877470]Prickly Pear[/MENTION], and [MENTION=6855204]tglassy[/MENTION]

A group of Adventurers consisting of Devan, Bobranthus, Sesto, Terrus, and Pyrus set out from the mountain camp of the Wizard Imani, heading south.

Corrah the halfling hustles to catch up, grabbing Bobranthus by the arm she looks way up at him and says, "I will show you fellows the way to the caves. You will be crossing the road on the way, and there's a wagon of nasty mercenaries coming up the road. Wouldn't you like to bash some evil heads?"

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
GM: I have been asked to describe the overall land. Much of this your characters can't see, but it's information they can find out, and this might help you imagine the overall scene...

There are two neighboring peaks: Imani's camp is on a nice grassy green hill with some trees, and rounded granite and limestone (we will call Greenpeak) It is hidden from view behind a lightly forested ridge, which then plunges into a high river valley. The river winds and travels from north to south. Across the river, to the east, rises a nasty looking peak of blackened craigs (we will call Blackpeak). At the base of Blackpeak there is a stone structure, a large gate built into the side of the mountain (the Temple Gate). The land on the east bank of the river is covered by black stones, as if the craigs "shed" rocks; there is no sign of the peak losing mass to an avalanche. A road runs along the east bank of the river, winding through the larger of the "avalanche" stones, past a granite tower, partially burried into the side of the craigs. (the Watchtower). The watchtower overlooks a stone bridge, which takes the road to the west side of the river, where it winds down a switchback, heading south. (The overall land travels downward as you travel south).

As the river flows past the Temple Gates, it tumbles over short waterfalls and rapids, under the bridge, and then over steeper waterfalls and rapids to the south. It is fed by mountain streams, mostly from the west, and from Greenpeak. Further north, up the river, the river splits into a small side-stream, that pours into a cave in the north side of Blackpeak. On the south side of Blackpeak, (across both the road and the river) there are caves, high in the side of the craigs, overlooking a vast forested valley to the south.

I hope that helps. Any questions?

Prickly Pear

Adventurer
Sesto stops in his tracks and looks around at the small halfling and the large human. "Evil and nasty mercenaries?" he ponders to himself. Is this true or is it maybe just some competition for the retrieval of the Diamond Staff of Chomylla? Sesto try to read Corrah's face to gain some insight into what she says. While he carefully looks at the halfling he says to Corrah: "Evil presence must be stopped. No doubt about that. But what have these mercenaries done that is so evil?"
Insight roll [roll0]

FitzTheRuke

Legend
"Well, to start," she says in all honesty, "They're about to take up with the Cult of the Dragon. Past that, they work for the Beast." (as if that needs no further explanation).

Prickly Pear

Adventurer
"That's fair enough," says Sesto and then looks uncertainly at Bobranthus, Pyrus, Devan and Terrus, "but I do not know about this "Beast". Can you tell us some more?"

Chronicler

Explorer
av-devan.jpg
[sblock="Status Box"]Devan the Dawnbringer
NG (L) Human Sorcerer 1/Warlock 3

Size: M | Speed: 30 ft. | Senses: Passive Perception 13

Initiative: +2 | Armor Class: 18 | Hit Dice: 1d6+3d8+8+1 | Hit Points: 30

Spell Slots: 1st-lvl: 2, [W] 2nd-lvl: 2 | Concentration: None

Affected by: None | Conditions: None[/sblock] Devan squinted off into the distance, his blue eyes narrowed nearly into slits. A gloved hand, his unencumbered one, shaded his brow from the ruddy rays of the sinking sun. He quietly scanned the winding switchback in an attempt to catch sight of the mercenaries that their halfling guide had said were approaching.

After a few moments, he turned his gaze back upon Corrah. "When you scouted them earlier, did you get an accurate headcount of their group?" he asked her. With only the six of them, a direct confrontation could be tricky if they were outnumbered by a wide margin. But the Inquisitor was quite confident in his team's abilities that it was only a minor concern at best.

Because he knew that with him and Sesto both present, Lathander was assuredly on their side. And as favored devotees of the sun, they were unconquerable.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
@Prickly Pear

"He's a mercenary captain from near Iriaebor. His men are brutal, horrible, mercenaries of the worst kind. They'd eat your mother if there was money in it." Corrah whistled, "And here they are, working for the Dragon Cult."

At Celestial:

"There's eight of them - some big mean looking ones, too." her eyes narrowed, "but I know a place where we can get some good cover behind some rocks, where they will have a heck of a time getting at us."

"Anyone up for a good, old-fashioned ambush?"

OOC: I hadn't noticed you both follow Lathander. That is fortuitous.

Last edited:

tglassy

Adventurer
"if we get up higher than them, I can make it almost impossible for them to reach us," Pyrus said. "I can place a sheet of ice on the slope to where we are based, and settle them with a fear of traversing it. Any that try to come within range to attack will more often than not find themselves slipping back to where they started."

OOC: With Mastery of Ice's power "Ice Sheet", he can make a 20" cube layered with ice. It becomes difficult terrain, causes them to make a dex saving throw or fall prone every 10 feet, and if it's on a slope, they fall to the bottom.

With Mantle of Fear, Pyrus can make it so any enemies within 60 feet have to spend 1 extra foot of movement for every move they make towards him. This, combined with the icy difficult terrain, cuts their movement down to about 7 feet per round.

Terrus heard all this about an ambush, and wasn't too happy about it. "I prefer to meet my enemies close," he said. "I can, however, make it so none of us leave any tracks to find as we move to this hiding place. They will not know we are here. And I suppose once the fighting starts, I could use my crossbow, and leap over the ice and into the melee once that proves inefficient."

OOC: As an Earth Genasi, Terrus can cast Pass WIthout Trace, which includes himself and party members, once per long rest.

Both look to the others to see if these skills will be useful.

Prickly Pear

Adventurer
"I like the sound of that, Pyrus. Let's keep the mercenaries at a distance until we thin out their ranks a little," Sesto said. "Terrus, I think we will get close and personal with our enemies before long. I, too, like to whack my enemies in close quarter."

Thinking out loud, Sesto mutters; "I can ask my God to bless some of us before the fight and that usually is of great help. Hopefully we can dispatch of these mercenaries without too much difficulty. If worse comes to worst then I have long training in medicine and I will be able to clean and patch any wounds that you might have attained. Let's pray it will not come to that."

Sesto looks over to Devan and Bobrathus, and asks: "What do you think of the plan?"

FitzTheRuke

Legend

"Well *I* like it!" said Corrah, showing the way down a short but steep slope. "Hey! From just up here, you can see the bridge and the watchtower, if you're careful to stay behind those rocks!"

GM: If you'd like to look at the bridge and watchtower, you can do so without a perception check, but you must make a stealth check to avoid being spotted by the lookouts. The rocks (and the distance) provides advantage on the check.

Sent from my LG-D852 using EN World mobile app

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases