D&D 5E I Was Wrong!!!!!

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
The 5E Monk might be one of the best designed classes in the game, I enjoyed playing it and one of my players who was perhaps even more reactionary than me rolled one up and enjoyed playing it.
Just curious, which subclass did each of you play?

Also, congrats on finding a new thing you like!

Tormyr

Adventurer
The monk in our game played the shadow archetype. One of the best parts of that was casting darkvision to make up for being human.

Cyan Wisp

Explorer
You have reached Nirvana, Grasshopper.

I've always loved the monk since 1e. Won't talk about 2e's "Fighting Monk". Current PC: Shadow Monk Lvl 8. So many options each round. Just lovin' it, especially Shadow Step. Only problem is I have to ask the DM each battle: "So, what's the, er... ambient light like around here." Must get annoying for him.

G

Guest 6801328

When I read the title and saw the author of this post I assumed it was going to be a more general mea culpa.

G

Guest 6801328

As a matter of principle, Zardnaar, I have to disagree with your statement that you were wrong.

It's like the whole Cretan paradox. "All Cretans are liars." ;)

Of course, I do think the 5e Monk is the first time that they've finally gotten the Monk class right.

1. Lowkey13 is always right.
2. Lowkey13 must disagree with statements on the internet.
4. PROFIT! .... and now you understand the problem with the gnomes.

I think you need to be more specific on step 3.

then-a-miracle-occurs-cartoon.jpg

Sacrosanct

Legend
I played a shadow monk up to level 8. Really enjoyed the class. No, I didn't have the most HP, and I certainly wasn't doing the most damage, but I was all over the battlefield. We were in a dark tower that was the home of vampire spawn, and every time the grappled me, I just shadowstepped away and gave them the what for in the gonads.

I definitely enjoyed the class. As an aside, the first time I think they did the monk right was in the old Dragon Magazine version (I want to say in the 50s or 60s issue range).

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/they)
Had a wild elf shadow monk that was far more "deep jungle guerrilla fighter" than "ninja or kung fu artist". He mostly fought with hand axes (melee and thrown), and fond of hit-and-run tactics and dirty fighting (mixing in headbutts, knees to the groin, sweeping the legs, etc). Probably my favorite 5e PC I've played.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases