American Gods sucked me in like the worship of Bilquis!

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I'm not sure when everyone gets to see this but as the first screening of the new American Gods series has occured I wanted to take time to comment.

It is visually stunning, with copious gushing of blood and sex and its cinematic style works well to promote the eldritch feel which I assume is intended in a show where a man becomes caught up in the machinations of trickster gods and their inscrutable schemes. Transitions are used sparingly and reality and dream overlap.
That does have the potential to be jarring but so far it hasn't had the alienating weirdness of Legion to upset viewers, but it is only one episode

McSHane gives an outstanding performance as does the women playing Audrey (?).

Anyway I liked it and will keep watching

No Spoilers from me, but feel free

Last edited:

I reaallllly want to see this but in Canada it seems it's only available on Amazon Prime and I'm not ready to subscribe to ANOTHER service, just for 1 show (well, 2, for the Man in the High Castle). And it seems in Quebec we don't get the benefit of a free Amazon Prime trial month...

AR

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Mot a fan of pay tv services, so it will be some time before I get to see AG. BUT I'm glad to hear it sounds like they're doing it right!

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I enjoyed it and plan to keep watching. I don't think a lot of people will get it, I had to explain to my brother who Mr. Wednesday was.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Only seems to be available in the US on Amazon Prime with a Starz subscription. At $9/month, count me out. I'd be glad to pay a few dollars an episode to watch it.

I really detest linked offerings like this.

Thx!
TomB

Dog Moon

Adventurer
I enjoyed it and plan to keep watching. I don't think a lot of people will get it, I had to explain to my brother who Mr. Wednesday was.

Yeah, I have no familiarity with the original source material. I had to guess who it was, which I wasn't sure if that was done on purpose or if they expected you to know who it was or I simply missed the comment that explained it. I had to look it up online though because I kept debating on two different characters and my familiarity with either was so vague I couldn't remember which was what.

I did like the visuals though and the characters are interesting, so I'll check out at least another episode or two before deciding if I want to stop watching it or not.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Yeah, I have no familiarity with the original source material. I had to guess who it was, which I wasn't sure if that was done on purpose or if they expected you to know who it was or I simply missed the comment that explained it. I had to look it up online though because I kept debating on two different characters and my familiarity with either was so vague I couldn't remember which was what.

I did like the visuals though and the characters are interesting, so I'll check out at least another episode or two before deciding if I want to stop watching it or not.

I liked the fact that it wasn't blatantly obvious who Wednesday was. The clues are there in his name "it's my day" and the opening sequence of the Norse arrivals.

The guessing game afterwards is kinda fun - like who is the narrator? who is the god of Leprechauns?, who is Shadow Moon? (and why the stupid name?) who is Buffalo? was the tree in his vision Yggdrasil? and whats up with the god of VR?.

Sometimes putting the clues together is more fun than knowing

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I liked the fact that it wasn't blatantly obvious who Wednesday was. The clues are there in his name "it's my day" and the opening sequence of the Norse arrivals.

The guessing game afterwards is kinda fun - like who is the narrator? who is the god of Leprechauns?, who is Shadow Moon? (and why the stupid name?) who is Buffalo? was the tree in his vision Yggdrasil? and whats up with the god of VR?.

Not having read the graphic novel, I think Shadow Moon may be a young god/new god, aka the underdog, takes a beating but finds a way to win. May be the creation of two older gods.

The white buffalo is a sign of change from what I remember of the myth. The tree may have been the sign of Mr. Wednesday, the hanging tree but did not look like it.

Samloyal23

Adventurer
I LOVED the first episode of this show, it was extremely well done. The guy playing Shadow Moon looks almost exactly how I pictured him. The leprechaun is just not tall enough. Mr. Wednesday needs some facial hair, he is supposed to be Odin the Allfather, how do you have a Viking god with no facial hair? Otherwise, I thought his performance was dead on.

Dog Moon

Adventurer

For me, I kinda guessed who it was based off of the beginning scene. The Wednesday thing didn't register for me at all. So while I like some clues, without a lot of knowledge regarding the ancient deities, I'm afraid I'll miss too many clues. My only hope is that I don't miss too many. Like the superhero movies. I enjoy them and like seeing them, but I know I miss things because I don't have much knowledge of the source material. Still, missing those things doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the shows. What I DON'T want is for the show to require extensive knowledge to enjoy it.

So far though, I'm enjoying it and hope that continues. :)

Remove ads