That hurts...

Igwilly

First Post
Ok people, I’ll share some of my pain with you.
We’re playing 3.5. I’m not DMing it, my friend is. It’s a temporary situation until I finish the proper readings. However, something is taking off my inner peace.
The table is using a mistake for ranged attacks: they are applying the Dex bonus to damage. You could call it a house-rule, but he honestly believes that this is the RAW. Worst of that: one player – my sister – is playing a Ranger specialized with archery, and instead of getting Rapid Shot as bonus feat, she got Point Blank Shot.
Now, I almost told that to him, but I deliberately hold back that because I’m afraid about my sister’s reaction. Will she find acceptable this change? Alternatively, would she get angry with me for possibly making her attack routine weaker (or stronger) depending on the situation?
I once tried to talk to him, but he won’t listen to me now. And this bugs me a LOT, but I also fear about upsetting people because of this.
In addition, ranged damage is getting quite high in our table: An NPC bard’s crossbow is dealing more damage than the rest of the party (taking out my sister’s character), and it’s a pretty normal build.
Our group is level 2. I play a “Half-Orc” Barbarian. My sister plays an Elf Ranger. My other friend plays a Half-Elf Cleric, which lost his powers and now is trying to get them back.
Should I try to warn him once more? Should I warn her instead? Or my other friend? Just not saying anything to anyone is pretty much not an option now.
I don’t know what to do.

Last edited:

Away from the table and outside the game, make the case to your DM as to what the problem is, and how it is affecting your enjoyment of the game. If your DM decides to let the current ruling stand, then you'll have to either learn to live with it or leave the game.

Celebrim

Legend
You can also attempt to remind the DM what you think the rules are. But once you've done so, and the DM has ruled on it, then it 'the word of god' and you should drop it and not let it bug you anymore. It no longer matters whether you are right according to the rules and the DM is wrong. The DM's opinion about the rules always preempts the rules. It could be that the DM knows that you are right, but has decided that changing things now would cause too great of disruption. Perhaps the DM doesn't want to upset anyone either.

Ultimately, in RAW missile weapons tend to be better than melee weapons in most circumstances, but if you are playing a half-orc barbarian with a two-handed sword it's not like you are going to be incapable of doing big chunks of damage. Be content.

Igwilly

First Post
Oh, ok, let me clarify some things:
I didn’t exactly told him, but we already had a friendly (really, friendly) discussion about another subject, so the main fear is to tone down the mood of the group. I was going to tell him, but I gave up thinking about this.
However, if he does know it, then I’m completely cool. Really. Because them it becomes a house-rule – a bad one but still a house-rule – and I’m ok with house-rules. I do a lot of them when I DM. My fear is if he doesn’t know. Next time we two meet, I will ask if he knows something about it.

Ultimately, in RAW missile weapons tend to be better than melee weapons in most circumstances, but if you are playing a half-orc barbarian with a two-handed sword it's not like you are going to be incapable of doing big chunks of damage. Be content.

Hahaha I’m fine, thanks for asking. Using a greatsword with high Str, rage and the possibility of overloading the furnace, damage isn’t a problem. I’m more concerned about future imbalances (especially regarding certain NPCs). However, if that happens, I can say, “I told you”
:cool:
Anyway, I just wanted to tell this to someone. Thanks for answering.

Greenfield

Adventurer
4e adds Dex bonus to damage for ranged attacks. Perhaps that's what the DM is thinking about.

Not sure if Pathfinder does that way, but that's a possibility as well.

There's also a Crossbow Sniper feat that extends the Point Blank range and adds the Dex damage.

was

Adventurer
Not sure if Pathfinder does that way, but that's a possibility as well.

...If it helps, Pathfinder (like 3.5), does not add the Dex. mod. to ranged damage.

...I'd suggest reviewing the 3.5 PHB focusing on the Dexterity stat entry (pg 8?) and/or maybe the combat section.

Last edited:

If it bugs you that much, step away from the game. I would probably do the same. If the DM can't even understand the basic rules in the book, then there's no telling what else he's getting wrong, and it's hard to really get invested if you can't trust the DM to know what they're doing.

Igwilly

First Post
I’m still following the thread so thank you all for the concern.
If it bugs you that much, step away from the game. I would probably do the same. If the DM can't even understand the basic rules in the book, then there's no telling what else he's getting wrong, and it's hard to really get invested if you can't trust the DM to know what they're doing.
Honestly, I think like you: the DM must know the rules clearly, even if he/she wants to change things via house-rule.
However, I don’t think leaving is an option because:
1) I was the one who brought the group together.
2) His place as DM is temporary. After I finish what I’m doing and become able to DM, I’ll assume.
However, I also have two comments about the situation:
1) He doesn’t DM D&D too much. In fact, he’s more of a World of Darkness kind of guy, so yes, chances are he just doesn’t know or forgot.
2) This is very common here in my area. Most people don’t have the disposition to read the books, so they make mistakes about the basic rules of the game. Once, in another 3.5 game I had, the DM (not my friend) let me cast Summon Monster IX at level one just because he didn’t knew that you cannot cast those extra spells (I was a conjurer) before you actually become able to cast such spell level. In a 4e game, I got free, at-will flight just because I was a druid and shape-changed to an eagle (you don’t get flight with Wild Shape). Moreover, no one even knows critical failures are an optional rule in 3.5 or 4e. In fact, once I told my other friend about that, he spoke to me about how evil DMs are. I can go on and on, but…

Extra: in case you are wondering, yes, I say to them they are wrong even if it benefits me. However, do you think they listen to me? No. Therefore, after that I purposely abuse their rules. If that’s how you want to play…

Last edited:

Ragmon

Explorer
If the group is having fun as is, then leave it be.

If the group isn't having fun and you think its due to the "wrong" interpretation of the rules, then bring it up.

Think of RAW as a guideline and less of a strict scripture.

PS: Speaking as some one who has been that guy, don't be the guy that goes (in a know it all voice) "Em, actually the rules on page 36 state that..., meaning your character doesn't get +X to Y". Let people have their fun.
The rules should be checked when a character is solo-ing things out of their league.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases