Pathfinder 1E Halp.

BlackSeed_Vash

Explorer
[1] Steal like a mothertruckerer. Really like a subplot in a book/show/movie; see if you can't re-fluff it to fit your campaign. See a really cool world/city map; use it. Find a picture that captures the essence of an important NPC you wanna introduce; show it to your players. Hell the first game I ran game used the map of Tamriel (elder scrools). Most of my players were familiar with the world and so were able to navigate around with little initial input from me. When they asked about what other similarities I told them that while Bravil might still be a crap hole and Cheyinhal might be a beautiful city to look at, the political landscapes were vastly different and not to expect any other conscious parallels between the two.

[2] If you use puzzles (especially riddles), make sure you allow players to use a relevant skill to try and overcome it... just make them try it themselves first. If you have those metal ring puzzles (or the like) they can be used, just make sure you can do it yourself first.

[3] Start at lower levels (1-3) and limit each class to 1 Archetype. For first timers, it better to ignore xp. Their first level up should come after you feel they have a handle on most of their current class features. Following that, give them a level after each major story event or 13th encounter.

[4] (Re)Read what each players class can do up to their level +2. Don't plan encounter around their class features; the dice can be a fickle mistress and may cause the only character with the needed ability to be unconscious, bleeding to death and/or it limited supply already used up for the day.

[5] Limit to the core rule book, no matter how cool it might seem. This will help prevent a player from being overwhelmed with choices and save you from read and making sure they properly understand it uses.

[6] If you mess up a rule, don't go back and change the outcome of what has already happened in game unless said ruling has broken the game. However, do tell your players you messed up and inform them on how it should have worked.

[7] Don't allow alcohol for at least the first couple of sessions. Ban electronics from the table unless it is being used exclusively for play: dice rolls, character sheets, spells, etc. This will help keep everyone focused the game.

[8] Be prepared for at least one player to suggest something that bypasses a lot of your prep work or takes the group in a completely different direction.

[9] If you use random encounter charts, be prepared for odd outcomes. Once ended up with a whelpling bronze dragon. In stead of picking/rolling another monster I decided the little bugger had gotten very, very lost and was just tired and hungry. He ended up eating approx. 400g worth of fancy foods from a 5th lvl party before they got him back to his colossal sized mother... (Bronze dragons generally "eat" dew drops, which I didn't realize till the night before the session they met mommy.)

[10] Use point buy or stat array for first timers. This will help prevent one player being over/under-powered compared to the rest.

[11] Consider allowing Profession to be more than just earning a paycheck and answering questions about it. A profession jeweler should be able to Appraise (gems, jewellery and precious metal); Craft (jewellery; including forgeries); Bluff/Diplomacy (how to sell/buy jewellery and gems); knowledge Geography (where the gemstone/jewellery likely dug up/made); knowledge History (know important people who made/wore the jewellery and/or events that happened because of it); knowledge Local (the type of people who would wear/craft the jewellery and what kind of message or status if any it implied); and use Perception (notice hidden compartments or mechanisms). Typically, my group just up the DC by +2 to +5 when a profession is used instead of the actual skill required.

[12] I'd check out Matthew Colville's videos on Running the Game. When he does talk about mechanics it will be focused upon D&D 5E; however, the majority of his videos are applicable to any role-playing game.

HaiBarbie

First Post
So a few suggestions:

Focus on having fun, engaging your players, and having a decent story that worrying too much about the structure of levels, encounters, etc. All of that additional detail can be worked in over time as you become more proficient with the rules.

In the Core Rulebook, there are 3 experience point tracks: Slow, Medium, & Fast. DO NOT USE FAST. As has already been pointed out, the rapid rise in character ability & options FAR outweighs the "reward" of rapid leveling, and not in a positive way, IMO. I run 3 PF campaigns and I use the SLOW track for all of them. Players actually get to work new abilities before leveling again and I find it makes for a better experience than the 18-year old farm boy that goes from 1st-->15th level in a month of in-game time.

Puzzles and such are better for challenging your players than challenging character abilities. In other words, puzzles shouldn't be circumvented by a die roll.

Try to have a mix of opponents and encounter types: combat, traps, social, urban, wilderness, dungeon, etc. Don't go for super-challenging encounters those that are +3 or +4 Average Party Level (APL) as they offer the most variance in outcomes. Build toward "epic" encounters once your more familiar with the rules.

Chapters 12-14 of the Core Rulebook, while dry at times, are your best friend. If you can get it, the Gamemastery Guide is a great book for all GMs but it's specifically geared towards newer GMs and contains great suggestions and advice.

Great advice thank you so much for your time. I do have access to the books mentioned, and Im trying to keep things balanced using tables throughout.

I agree that puzzles are something that shouldnt involve dice...
The group Im playing with is not used to role playing...and is somewhat distracted to participate in that aspect.

So for example I kidnap my witch's familiar and my ranger's companion while the whole team is investigating a dungeon beneath a rival bar, and in order for them to get their pets back they have to get an enchanted door with random shapes on it to open.

I made 2 scrolls for this encounter. One represents the shapes on the door. I hand it to the group. And start a 10minute timer.
She does some kind of INT check to see if she can read it, if she fails the next person with highest initiative does a perception check and again and again until someone finds the second scroll in the hand of a fallen humanoid skeleton.
It is the alphabet of shapes, crudely labeled.
The players must decipher the code, spin a coin, and say the incantation 3 times before the coin drops in order for the door to open.

My group needs better team building exercises. I feel if their pets and friend's pets are abducted while on a mission together they'll have similar motive. Also the coded incantation is simple to figure out..and although my group isnt the most imaginative, they're very bright. Im confident they'll get this..
it's: Ma Ma Se Ma Me Za Me Ma Ku Za.
Once they realize its from michael Jackson's you wanna be startin something hopefully they'll have a laugh and be able to say it really fast...hopefully they wont think Im a troll.... teeheee

The timer represents the amount of time before the familiar and companion are in imminent danger. This will hopefully get them to focus.... It's impossible to ask them to abandon their phones.... they're those types.... so if I have them in a panic i think itll be more effective.

Some of my players, though, prefer battle. So once they get the door open they're thrust into some :):):):):):):):) after every social dilemma or encounter of a roleplay nature. To break up any possible lull....

Because there are so many possible different characters playing Im trying to keep things balanced and have multiple ways of accomplishing tasks so everyone might have a moment where they shine... This is my challenge//goal.

I dont think leveling up too quickly will be an issue for us. I can barely get these people together once a month and none of them will play without each other so if one bails, we postpone again. I agree that they shouldnt level up without knowing their abilities like the back of their hands..... I went over all of their sheets and many people have errors.... My ranger for examples shouldnt even be able to have a companion yet...but we started playing on his birthday so i believe the original GM granted him the ability.... Ive had to correct character sheets at least 4 times.

Im thinking if I dont want them to level up quickly how do I appease my battle hungry players? Let them battle, and reward them with item drops? Then I have to make the items super mundane or barely usable?....hmmm

sorry for writing you a novel.... I have but only the sensei who respond to me here.

HaiBarbie

First Post
I'm running a campaign and it is milestone based - that is, I don't award XP. When the group accomplishes 'enough', I advance everyone a level, and everyone is always at the same level (including new characters). This way the group doesn't feel the need to kill/attack everything just to maximize the XP potential of an adventure. It also circumvents a lot of administrative duties and trying to figure out how to craft and adventure that is a challenge to characters of different levels. We play twice a month, and I like to have the party advance every 3 or 4 sessions, which has worked out nicely. I tell new players that I allow everything from the core book, but anything beyond that they have to run past me first as some stuff doesn't fit the campaign I want to run (no gunslingers, sorry!).

Wowww valuable insight. Thank you so much! I'll talk it over with them and see what they prefer.... I put a lot of thought into trying to balance the battles but creating bonus xp or good fortune coins for social encounters if they use team attacks. For example if my rogue or ranger blinds the enemy, the witche's hex is a 100% sure hit. Then maybe I'd give them an extra 10xp or something arbitrary..... I was planning on using the point charts somewhere in these books. But what you've described is much more attractive.

HaiBarbie

First Post
[1] Steal like a mothertruckerer. Really like a subplot in a book/show/movie; see if you can't re-fluff it to fit your campaign. See a really cool world/city map; use it. Find a picture that captures the essence of an important NPC you wanna introduce; show it to your players. Hell the first game I ran game used the map of Tamriel (elder scrools). Most of my players were familiar with the world and so were able to navigate around with little initial input from me. When they asked about what other similarities I told them that while Bravil might still be a crap hole and Cheyinhal might be a beautiful city to look at, the political landscapes were vastly different and not to expect any other conscious parallels between the two.

[2] If you use puzzles (especially riddles), make sure you allow players to use a relevant skill to try and overcome it... just make them try it themselves first. If you have those metal ring puzzles (or the like) they can be used, just make sure you can do it yourself first.

[3] Start at lower levels (1-3) and limit each class to 1 Archetype. For first timers, it better to ignore xp. Their first level up should come after you feel they have a handle on most of their current class features. Following that, give them a level after each major story event or 13th encounter.

[4] (Re)Read what each players class can do up to their level +2. Don't plan encounter around their class features; the dice can be a fickle mistress and may cause the only character with the needed ability to be unconscious, bleeding to death and/or it limited supply already used up for the day.

[5] Limit to the core rule book, no matter how cool it might seem. This will help prevent a player from being overwhelmed with choices and save you from read and making sure they properly understand it uses.

[6] If you mess up a rule, don't go back and change the outcome of what has already happened in game unless said ruling has broken the game. However, do tell your players you messed up and inform them on how it should have worked.

[7] Don't allow alcohol for at least the first couple of sessions. Ban electronics from the table unless it is being used exclusively for play: dice rolls, character sheets, spells, etc. This will help keep everyone focused the game.

[8] Be prepared for at least one player to suggest something that bypasses a lot of your prep work or takes the group in a completely different direction.

[9] If you use random encounter charts, be prepared for odd outcomes. Once ended up with a whelpling bronze dragon. In stead of picking/rolling another monster I decided the little bugger had gotten very, very lost and was just tired and hungry. He ended up eating approx. 400g worth of fancy foods from a 5th lvl party before they got him back to his colossal sized mother... (Bronze dragons generally "eat" dew drops, which I didn't realize till the night before the session they met mommy.)

[10] Use point buy or stat array for first timers. This will help prevent one player being over/under-powered compared to the rest.

[11] Consider allowing Profession to be more than just earning a paycheck and answering questions about it. A profession jeweler should be able to Appraise (gems, jewellery and precious metal); Craft (jewellery; including forgeries); Bluff/Diplomacy (how to sell/buy jewellery and gems); knowledge Geography (where the gemstone/jewellery likely dug up/made); knowledge History (know important people who made/wore the jewellery and/or events that happened because of it); knowledge Local (the type of people who would wear/craft the jewellery and what kind of message or status if any it implied); and use Perception (notice hidden compartments or mechanisms). Typically, my group just up the DC by +2 to +5 when a profession is used instead of the actual skill required.

[12] I'd check out Matthew Colville's videos on Running the Game. When he does talk about mechanics it will be focused upon D&D 5E; however, the majority of his videos are applicable to any role-playing game.

Thank you so much for taking the time holy :):):):). What a great community I've stumbled upon. :eek:

The people Im playing with are stubborn socialites. They will not give up their phones, drugs, or alcohol. So, I'm hoping my over zealous planning and acting will keep them engaged.... I plan on making them panic with timers and unknown peril.

I will definitely check out those videos by Colville. Im flexible enough to imagine applying suggestions for other games to PF.

I replied this just recently to someone else about my puzzle I made... :::
My group needs better team building exercises. I feel if their pets and friend's pets are abducted while on a mission together they'll have similar motive. Also the coded incantation is simple to figure out..and although my group isnt the most imaginative, they're very bright. Im confident they'll get this..
it's: Ma Ma Se Ma Me Za Me Ma Ku Za.
Once they realize its from michael Jackson's you wanna be startin something hopefully they'll have a laugh and be able to say it really fast...hopefully they wont think Im a troll.... teeheee

The timer represents the amount of time before the familiar and companion are in imminent danger. This will hopefully get them to focus.... It's impossible to ask them to abandon their phones.... they're those types.... so if I have them in a panic i think itll be more effective.

Some of my players, though, prefer battle. So once they get the door open they're thrust into some random conflict after every social dilemma or encounter of a roleplay nature. To break up any possible lull....

Im trying to keep things balanced since everyone seems to want something different out of the game.

I have to be particularly careful with your #4. Because of the desire of balance, Im trying to make at least 2 clever possible solutions to issues or encounters they may come across so that way if the person crit fails or just doesnt even show up theres a contingency to get out of the pickle.

Finally, your #11 is something we have almost completely ignored. As a PC I was the only one who said they had a previous job. I said I was a rogue who was raised by a fisherman. I was an expert at knots, and catching all medium to small creatures in shallow waters. But it was an ignored fact. We didnt know how to apply it.

You said they up the DC to +5. Is DC difficulty check? Is this so they cant just make themselves OP by circumstance or background story? So it's more of a challenge to use your profession skill?

Sorry to be so long winded... You guys are all I have besides youtube and these books. <3

BlackSeed_Vash

Explorer
...Finally, your #11 is something we have almost completely ignored. As a PC I was the only one who said they had a previous job. I said I was a rogue who was raised by a fisherman. I was an expert at knots, and catching all medium to small creatures in shallow waters. But it was an ignored fact. We didnt know how to apply it.

You said they up the DC to +5. Is DC difficulty check? Is this so they cant just make themselves OP by circumstance or background story? So it's more of a challenge to use your profession skill? ...

Yeah, profession seems to be almost completely ignored unless you allow it to supplement other skills. DC is difficulty check. The reason we increase it is to help prevent people from abusing this method of spending 1 skill point to gain access to multiple skills. There are several professions that could conceivable provide a multitude of skills that are not so tightly focused as my Jeweler example. A Scholar could be argued to have all the knowledge skills without a focus; a Renaissance Man could be argued to have all the knowledge skills several crafting skills without a focus, disable device, and linguistics.

In the case of your fisherman here a few things you could apply that skills to:
[1] Tying someone up (Survival) and escaping from ropes (Escape Artist).
[2] Finding the safest way to cross rivers. Water plus heavy armor ain't fun.
[3] Finding your relative position by using the stars (Knowledge Geography).
[4] Catching and preparing edible aquatic life to supplement/replace trail rations (Survival). The preparing could be important due to some might have poisons or other dangerous components that need to be removed before cooking.
[5] Controlling smaller boats. It never seems important until there's a storm or a kraken about.
[6] Predicting the upcoming weather (Survival). This one is only really important if the DM uses weather for more than just a set pieces.
[7] Buying and selling of edible aquatic life, nets, tools and smaller boats. From my experience this won't come up often, but you never know when a NPC decides to sell you poor quality equipment on purpose.

Please be careful with endangering familiars. If you kill off a witch's familiar there goes their spellbook, destroying a huge portion of their class features.

For the spell casters, you can try to get them to run an app that keeps their spells for them. Android has Pathfinder Spellbook (free) and Apple has Spellbook for Pathfinder ($.99). I only have an android, but I have used and like that one. For the non-casters you might suggest they have the SRD up for quick reference to class features, feats, combat maneuvers, etc. This might help them keep focused on the game if they look at their phones to see something directly connected to it.

Off-topic: You might see the terms RAW and RAI thrown around at times. They mean Rules as Written and Rules as Intended respectively. There are often times where the language for a particular feat/item/class feature is muddled or incomplete; causing general confusion or allowing for an interpretation that exceeds to power intended for it. The SRD addresses some of the RAW questions in their FAQ boxes on the relevant page.

Remove ads