D&D 4E What is a comprehensive Inherent Bonuses rule?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Think this is how it was with Darksun

Darksun said:
Attack and Damage – All characters gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls at 2nd, 7th, 12th, 17th, 22nd, and 27th level.
Darksun said:
Defenses – All characters gain a +1 bonus to AC, Fortitude, Reflex, and Will at 4th, 9th, 14th, 19th, 24th, and 29th level.

AND DMG2

DMG2 said:
suggestions to replace magic items in your campaign.

AC, Defense, Attack, and Damage Bonuses: Without magic items, the PCs' attacks, defenses, and damage lag behind. You can solve this problem by giving the PCs flat bonuses as they advance in level. These bonuses stack. Attack and Damage: All characters gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls at 2nd, 7th, 12th, 17th, 22nd, and 27th level.Defenses: All PCs gain a +1 bonus to AC, Fortitude, Reflex,and Will at 4th, 9th, 14th, 19th, 24th, and 29th level.

Plus various parcel adjustments etc which they assume you keep masterwork armor benefits and such

For that part I like Wrecans guides on this.
http://www.dyasdesigns.com/roleplay/DungeonsAndDragons/WealthByLevel/

Not even certain what character builder implements but none of the official ones I have read account for advancing critical damage (d6 per +1 should cover that.)

This came to mind wrt the monks unarmed combatant and wanting a version that works without assuming focus items.

Last edited:

Yeah, having actual magic items is still better than inherent bonus. I don't think it was really intended to balance 100% against actual items. It was just intended to allow a character that lacked an item to be able to function reasonably.

Oh, and both PHB2 and DS worded it poorly. These should be an ENHANCEMENT BONUS, not a 'bonus'. Not sure if that got errata or not, probably so... This means if you get a magic weapon then it won't stack with the inherent bonus and you'll get the better of the two.

Teemu

Hero
The rules in DMG2 don't tell you to remove magic items completely -- it says you remove the lowest and the highest level item from the magic item parcel. Thus a standard 5-person party would still get two magic items/boons per level. It's possible to re-flavor many magic items into boons if you prefer to do away with the items altogether. Also, the masterwork armor issue is not relevant if you use the Essentials updated armor rules, which supersede the DMG2 masterwork armor variant.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
masterwork armor issue is not relevant if you use the Essentials updated armor rules, which supersede the DMG2 masterwork armor variant.

Safe to assume that I may not know what an essentials rule might be or have rejected most of them. ;)

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
It's possible to re-flavor many magic items into boons if you prefer to do away with the items altogether.

I like that it becomes an option... Note one of my new martial practices is going to enable creating/composing/teaching of new martial flavored grandmaster trainings.

C4

Explorer
Also, the masterwork armor issue is not relevant if you use the Essentials updated armor rules, which supersede the DMG2 masterwork armor variant.
Safe to assume that I may not know what an essentials rule might be or have rejected most of them. ;)
Not sure what the updated E armor rules are either, but in my own 4e games I dropped masterwork armors in lieu of an increasing inherent bonus which PCs get whenever they wear heavy armor. In my C4 Character Advancement doc, I call it the Heavy Bonus.

Fabulously creative name, I know. ;)

I give a few other inherent bonuses, some of which aren't necessary, but one that I think is worth mentioning is grab: If you want grab to remain a viable option (insofar as it is viable to begin with), you'll want to apply an inherent bonus to PCs using it.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I give a few other inherent bonuses, some of which aren't necessary, but one that I think is worth mentioning is grab: If you want grab to remain a viable option (insofar as it is viable to begin with), you'll want to apply an inherent bonus to PCs using it.

Ah I agree that indeed seems quite worth considering ...

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
@C4 isnt the Bullrush like Grab one of the items in need of enhancement...

Perhaps Bull Rush needs to be able to move even larger enemies at pargon and epic.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases