Meet a Professional Game Master

I've written about the mythical professional game master before, but for the first time I got an opportunity to interview one at length. Meet Timothy James Woods (Timm) who currently has a Master's degree in English literature and is working towards his PhD in the same (with a focus on games and learning). 2017 is the first year that he will be relying on RPGs for his income full-time, having locked down four regular games and two afterschool programs.

I've written about the mythical professional game master before, but for the first time I got an opportunity to interview one at length. Meet Timothy James Woods (Timm) who currently has a Master's degree in English literature and is working towards his PhD in the same (with a focus on games and learning). 2017 is the first year that he will be relying on RPGs for his income full-time, having locked down four regular games and two afterschool programs.

attachment.php

Michael Tresca (MT): What's your gaming background?

Timm Woods (TW): I'd say my gaming background is simultaneously considered thorough to some, and sparse to others. I first discovered D&D when I was around 10 or 11 (when Magic the Gathering and Warcraft were fresh to me), and played with my siblings, but never really got to play all that much through high school and college. Being "inside" the hobby in terms of following it (I received Dungeon magazine and read every rulebook cover to cover from 2nd edition onward) while being "outside" the hobby in terms of playtime (I don't think I ever properly finished an adventure as a GM until I was in my 20s) had a weird result. I felt that it equipped me to see another side of the hobby: the "lost players". A large part of going into this business, for me, hinged on the idea that there are a great number of D&D enthusiasts who are still under-served by the volunteer GMing available amongst their friend circles and in their area, and that these individuals are happy to pay a professional as a way to reengage their lost hobby in a comfortable way.

MT: What are you working on currently?

TW: At the moment, I'm still working out the details of my dissertation and publication, although I do have a chapter available for viewing in the collection The Role-Playing Society (you can check out details here). That chapter covers a lot of the same ideas I have about gaming (albeit dated now).

MT: What's your dissertation about?

TW: My dissertation is about the potential importance of games to the learning process, particularly in the context of the language-learning and writing classroom. I'm detailing the ludic and pedagogical history of TRPGs (which, I argue, were historically almost always considered as educational tools FIRST and leisure activities SECOND), investigating potential uses for TRPGs as learning tools, and designing concepts for what a TRPG-based curriculum would look like.

MT: What gaming activities have you participated in?

TW: I've run university courses with game-based mechanics, including one first-year writing course in which I used The Quiet Year to encourage motivational roleplaying and in-character collaborative writing. In my after-school programs aimed at younger students, I use TRPGs like D&D as a tool for facilitating social interactions between students (some of whom are on the special needs spectrum). Even in the ordinary adult games I run, I use my classroom tactics as a way to keep the play flowing, and to bring new players quickly up to speed.

MT: How did you become a professional game master?

TW: I definitely stumbled into this career, in a sense, and it's primarily my background in education and English language that has allowed me to pursue it this way. I was originally looking for opportunities in the RPG industry when I started working retail at a large Manhattan comic book shop, basically selling the boxed sets and books for D&D 4e and Pathfinder and meeting people within the hobby. The most common response I got from customers regarding TRPGs was "huh, D&D, I always wanted to try that game," to the point where I was receiving that answer roughly once a day. It put into perspective how much of the hobby is transferred on a very personal level. For so many of us, the story is the same: we played their first RPG by some fluke or accident, at a young age, and now either play regularly or, more likely, currently have no point of access to the hobby. I started handing out business cards, then started working with a local gaming cafe, organizing and running D&D Encounters and my own games. Since early last summer, I've moved on to running my own freelance games and afterschool programs through a variety of Manhattan learning institutions like Winston Prep and the Quad Prep.

MT: What tips do you have for other aspiring professional GMs?

TW: A lot of what I feel a professional GM, and any GM, needs is less about running the game and more about setting the context for the game. I try to bring to the game-table what I bring to my classroom: a sense of fair play, of making sure everyone gets equal attention, of getting everyone comfortable in their roles. A GM is always part referee and part narrator, but a professional is also part host, part businessperson, part teacher, and part paid performer. You're creating an experience, and you're responsible for that experience in a sense that really transcends the game rules. If a player is a jerk in my game, it's at least partly my responsibility to handle the situation. In a sense, this is unlike a regular GM, although I argue that a big issue with TRPGs is that almost all GMs end up getting saddled with this role of "meta-facilitator" whether they realize it or not; essentially a human-resources role that GMs are not always prepared to tackle. Even just classic Dungeons & Dragons means so many different things to so many different people, and with a paying group you want to ensure that you run the game they had in mind (while still surprising them), which is not necessarily the game you learned to play. It's made me think of RPGs differently, and in some ways allowed me to more fully adopt the role of "showrunner"-- albeit with the knowledge that, like a showrunner, my "ratings" pay my rent. TL;DR, Recognize what makes your sessions fun, and focus and highlight those elements while clearly communicating with the group and basing the campaign around them.

You can follow Timm on Twitter.

Mike "Talien" Tresca is a freelance game columnist, author, communicator, and a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to http://amazon.com. You can follow him at Patreon.

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

Von Ether

Legend
I don't really understand the stigma. The reason I have a job is so that I can pay people to do the things that I don't want to do. I can grill my own hamburger but I don't want to so I pay the kid at McD's to hand me one. I can entertain myself with shadow puppets or whatever but I don't want to so I go to the theater and pay Hollywood to show me a movie. I could GM a game but if I don't want to and I have the money to pay someone, why not?

Now I am playing devil's advocate just to balance the scales.

We mostly pay for a service because a person offers convenience, skills, resources or knowledge that we don't.

We get a mediocre burger at home. No big deal. If we pay for a mediocre burger, it had better come faster and cheaper than we could have done it at home. If it takes longer, then it had better be better (and we'll be willing to pay more.)

If we make a puppet show or movie, we will probably be upset at the time it took for the results we got (unless we just discovered a new hobby). Hollywood (and skilled puppeteers) have the infrastructure and skills to deliver content to us that we can afford to enjoy.

But when the thought is this:
After DM'ing for nearly 2 decades I imagine my games are far more fun and exciting for free than what these people run

And that GM has a good chance of being close to right. (I mean he doesn't have to be better, just as good as good). Then Pro GMs will have a challenge proving they can be worth what they need to get paid to make it a pro thing. Right now, it seems to lean on convenience. But it's all evolving before our eyes, so we'll see.

clearstream

(He, Him)
Because the Devil - famous for being silver tongued - needs an advocate?

;)

And that GM has a good chance of being close to right. (I mean he doesn't have to be better, just as good as good). Then Pro GMs will have a challenge proving they can be worth what they need to get paid to make it a pro thing. Right now, it seems to lean on convenience. But it's all evolving before our eyes, so we'll see.
For the sake of argument we accept on face value that his games are "far more fun and exciting for free than what these people run". But that is beside the point because he cannot run games for all of us. I think we can easily agree that not all DMs are great and not all DMs are available. Therefore there will be some number of players with not-great and/or not-available DMs who may be willing to facilitate someone to DM for them. Further, as you point out it ignores the convenience argument. I am a great DM, but setting aside that I cannot DM myself, I'm not always willing to do so. Just as I can wash my car, but I don't always want to. (I'm a fantastic car washer, by the way.)

He also ignores the question of style: essentially assuming all great DMs are great in the same way. I am a great DM... if you like the sort of thing I run (gritty, open, roaming adventures). If you like something else, you may be willing to facilitate a different DM to provide that for you.

I've been a Professional (PAID + Training) GM for 9+ years, first gig was 1992, ran for 3 years weekends, then from 2008 to 2012 as a part then full time job, hit 6 figures in the last 3 years (depending on the currency, but 6 in US) Its a very viable opportunity if you can market yourself and get your groups running efficiently enough.

xBobble

First Post
I understand a little reluctance. It's like the George Costanza quote on why he won't pay for a parking garage, "Why should I pay, when if I apply myself, maybe I could get it for free?" I just think paying a GM is a little closer to something like paying a cleaning lady than it is to paying a prostitute.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
I have an issue with "professional" GMs. I guess because there is more demand than can be met, some people may pay for it but it feels wrong. Well, ok, you could say I do get paid as well when players pay for my food, my PDFs and books or help me finance the next interesting tabletop software. But that's something we all get something out of.

Logically, you can eliminate people charging for it by having more people to do it for free. How many of you are willing to start new campaigns and open them up to complete strangers?

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
I have at least one game running per day, usually 2 and Fridays even 3. Granted, I can only do that because I'm disabled and unable to work and need something to do to not be depressed. But I reckon more people would GM if there would not be all those high standards nowadays, thanks to the interwebs. At least on my German forums, a lot of potential GMs confess they are turned off by all the talk about railroading vs sandbox etc, fearing they will be less than perfect.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site

We mostly pay for a service because a person offers convenience, skills, resources or knowledge that we don't.

We get a mediocre burger at home. No big deal. If we pay for a mediocre burger, it had better come faster and cheaper than we could have done it at home. If it takes longer, then it had better be better (and we'll be willing to pay more.)

If we make a puppet show or movie, we will probably be upset at the time it took for the results we got (unless we just discovered a new hobby). Hollywood (and skilled puppeteers) have the infrastructure and skills to deliver content to us that we can afford to enjoy.

But when the thought is this:

Not everyone has access to a DM with 20 years of experience. Also, experience isn't enough.

If I'm paying for a DM, my expectations are not that he or see is an excellent voice actor—actually that may be a distraction from the type of game I like to play. I don't expect much more in terms of the skills that any experienced non-professional DM should have. The main differences between the professional and non professional DM should be customer focus and a commitment to continued improvement.

That means:
  • even if they are not feeling it, they need to be really good at faking it
  • focusing on games that the customers want, even if they would rather run a different game (unless they enjoy so much demand that they can be pick and choose their gigs).
  • knowing the rules, being familiar with the various arguments and diverse opinions about the rules and being able to articulate their ruling and, for more controversial rule, stating up front what their ruling are.
  • for a game like 5e, it would mean that you avoid home rules and stick to RAW, unless you have a campaign that with a regular group of players to agree to them. At least, you better post any exceptions to RAW before I pay.

The poster above that joked about paying for people to come over and drink and hang out...there are people who make very good livings off that.

Von Ether

Legend
Logically, you can eliminate people charging for it by having more people to do it for free. How many of you are willing to start new campaigns and open them up to complete strangers?

I did drop-in, drop out games at a local store for several years -- until Pokemon kicked me out.

Some of the players should have been paying considering their attitudes.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I have an issue with "professional" GMs. I guess because there is more demand than can be met, some people may pay for it but it feels wrong. Well, ok, you could say I do get paid as well when players pay for my food, my PDFs and books or help me finance the next interesting tabletop software. But that's something we all get something out of.

How is it "wrong"? I think it would be more "wrong" that I have to pay for water, food, shelter, and healthcare.

Even under some ideal, post-scarcity world where all our material needs are met, and there is no need for IP, because we all agree that in this post-scarcity world we will just share and communally modify our creations, their is still going to be uneven availability of entertainers. In such a world, those whose presence itself is desirable may be the most in demand and the last professionals.

In the world most of us live in, we have to work for money, and with whatever discretionary funds we have we pay for much of our entertainment.

I have had many musician friends over the years and have enjoyed many free performances. Some of the best "performances" I've been an audience to are spontaneous jam sessions around a camp fire. I feel bad that many people have not had these experiences. I don't feel bad that my friends charge people to have them play for them. Nothing wrong with that.

I just do not understand this sentiment. I love to DM, but would never want to do it as a job. But for those who want to make a go at making running games a career—all the more power to them. I may very well be a customer. It is hard to find a good one-off game where I can be a player.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads