So I finally ran a first session of OLD

I finally managed to run a first session fo my son. So far the following htings have come up for us:
  1. The monsters as written are dann lethal, too much so for a one character situation. Heck some of them he can't actually hurt as their defences are too damn high. Heck there are quite a few spots in the intro dungeon where a solo hero has no hope because the TN's are just too high.
  2. The rules on how to recover health points in WOIN are near impossible to find if you don't remember them. They are not in the table of contents and they are not in the index. I ended up having to google it and found it in the SRD on the website.

Other than that the game ran pretty well so far, and my son's character is currently has himself barracaded in a storeroom, trying to get away from the living statue (i'm generally reducing the monster counts to cope with the fact that there the dungeon is being explored by a lone druid). Of course he hasn't realise yet that the room he is hiding in contains another monster.

Last edited:

TreChriron

Adventurer
Supporter
Reduce Defense and Health! Make them a tad less lethal for a solo adventurer. OR run a couple "townies" as NPC comrades. A couple of the night watchmen would be helpful. :-D

I think it's awesome you're running a game for your son. OOC, how old is he? After I recruited some friends into gaming, they are now running games for their kids ages 5 - 11.

yrtalien

Explorer
Very cool that you are running a game for your kid. Feed the future!

Tre has the right of it. I think most pre-written adventures assume a group of 4 or so. Scale back or provide NPC assistance. The online bestiary has some ideas on how to Scale monsters up and down if you aren't comfortable with hand-waving : ) I believe you can find the info at the end of the creating monsters section.... so you can just skip past all that... pretty easy to follow instructions.

Have fun Father and Son !

My Son's 15. We've been gaming in different systems on an off for years. Probaly the longest running was a game of DungeonWorld using the Mini-megadugneon from Dysons Dodecahedron. And the most awesome session bieng a game of MouseGuard with some friends kids back when they where 7 - 11 years old. Everybody had a ball on that game.

Yes I've been dropping defense value and hitpoints on monsters, also only giving them one action a turn to give his character space to do stuff. He's Druid ended up with a plant / insect theme so I've allowed him to take an insect swarm as his companion, taking the view that its not a static thing but something that he forms out of whatever insects are available.

GLazelle

First Post
My general experience after a couple of sessions is that spellcasters definitely need care during character generation to be effective - you can get by as someone with a sword, but effective magic requires a bit of focus that a new player may not have yet.

Defense does seem to be an issue in some cases, but it works both ways - I have a PC dwarf barbarian with defense 22 and 6 soak in my group. Of course, a one-player-party will highlight these as problems because you don't have players in these niches.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Eeek. Yeah, as written that adventure would be lethal for a solo player. It's designed for 4-5. Definitely scale that thing down!

On my other point, maybe EONS needs an article that recaps all the recovery rules and options in the one place and discusses how things like medicine and herbalism can be used to aid recovery. At the moment as I said this information is hard to find. I still don't know where in the rule book the rule on recovering Health is (assuming it isn't actually missing). As I said, I had to find it online, Maybe also discussing options for more cinematic style games that do want to feature healing in combat.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
On my other point, maybe EONS needs an article that recaps all the recovery rules and options in the one place and discusses how things like medicine and herbalism can be used to aid recovery. At the moment as I said this information is hard to find. I still don't know where in the rule book the rule on recovering Health is (assuming it isn't actually missing).

Page 140 in OLD. The column entitled "HEALTH DAMAGE". Listed in the index under "HEALTH". :)

Remove ads