Discovery Trailer

Richards

Legend
Personally, I hope this show fails miserably. Not because of anything the guys creating it have or haven't done (although on that front, I'm not very impressed with it), but simply because I don't want to encourage any of the networks to follow this approach.

Had CBS created this show and put it on CBS, I'd be all for it and be rooting for it to do well. Likewise had it been a Netflix show from the beginning, or on HBO, or whatever, I'd be a strong supporter of having another "Star Trek" show to watch.

But for a network like CBS to decide to branch out into having their own streaming service, and then put their "big" show exclusively on the streaming service (after one "free" episode on their normal network to build up interest), that's a model I emphatically don't want to encourage.

Sure, the argument goes, it's not a whole lot of money a month for the streaming service. But I don't want to pay an extra fee to see the one show I'm interested in seeing on that network, and I'm certainly not going to do the same if all of the other networks follow suit. Ask yourselves: would you be cool paying for HBO and then paying extra on top of that just to watch "Game of Thrones," and paying extra just to watch "The Walking Dead" after having already paid to get AMC? (These are just two examples that popped into my head - choose your own favorite shows and networks.)

I don't want to support a model where the networks all decide to charge extra for their top shows, and I end up getting nickel-and-dimed to death.

Johnathan

Water Bob

Adventurer
Here are my thoughts as I watched the show.

OK....

Opening teaser was....FANTASTIC! LOVED IT!

That quick shot of the alien was excellent.

Opening credits visuals are pretty cool, too.

Not a fan of the title song. I miss the old boisterous marches and such.

And...the Klingons...are they telling us that there are 12 tribes that look differently from each other? The Motion Picture change was mentioned a few times here and there but never explained. I think the closest they got was in the Deep Space Nine episode where Worf said something like, "It's complicated. We don't talk about it."

Interesting. The bridge on the Shin-whatever is on the lower side of the saucer.

Was that a droid I saw at a bridge station?

That space suit is kinda...sexy.

Feels like TREK!

I already like it better than any of the new movies.

So far, this is much better than I thought it would be.

2nd commercial break.

This is great!

It is far beyond my hopes. I'm really digging this show, in spite of its silly uniforms.

It reminds me of The Motion Picture...but better.

3rd commercial break.

Conatact Starfleet Command! Tell them: We have engaged the Klingons!

Yeah!

4th Commercial break.

Lots of surprises!

Still digging it.

Much better than any Abrams movie.

Feels like Trek. Updated Trek, but still Trek.

I like it a lot.

Episode 1 is over.

Can you say, "Wolf 359"?

Awesome.

I absolutely loved the show. It's the best Trek in decades. When I said above that it reminds me of The Motion Picture, it's that it's new, updated, but still "Trek", which the Abrams films did not pull off for me.

This is full of Trek themes and ideas. It's not just a flashy action romp. It's got a Trek heart.

Now...will I subscribe?

I don't think so. It irritates me that they want me to order a new service for this Trek show.

Here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to let the season play out. Then, provided they still have the two-week free trial, I'll take that and binge watch the season before canceling the service.

Or, I'll wait for DVD. Maybe it will play on Netflix next year.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I also won't support the business model, but I don't wish the show ill. Maybe someday, I'll get to watch it in syndication.

Personally, I hope this show fails miserably. Not because of anything the guys creating it have or haven't done (although on that front, I'm not very impressed with it), but simply because I don't want to encourage any of the networks to follow this approach.

Had CBS created this show and put it on CBS, I'd be all for it and be rooting for it to do well. Likewise had it been a Netflix show from the beginning, or on HBO, or whatever, I'd be a strong supporter of having another "Star Trek" show to watch.

But for a network like CBS to decide to branch out into having their own streaming service, and then put their "big" show exclusively on the streaming service (after one "free" episode on their normal network to build up interest), that's a model I emphatically don't want to encourage.

Sure, the argument goes, it's not a whole lot of money a month for the streaming service. But I don't want to pay an extra fee to see the one show I'm interested in seeing on that network, and I'm certainly not going to do the same if all of the other networks follow suit. Ask yourselves: would you be cool paying for HBO and then paying extra on top of that just to watch "Game of Thrones," and paying extra just to watch "The Walking Dead" after having already paid to get AMC? (These are just two examples that popped into my head - choose your own favorite shows and networks.)

I don't want to support a model where the networks all decide to charge extra for their top shows, and I end up getting nickel-and-dimed to death.

Johnathan
What police procedural show would your put before Trek each week?
Because you want the show before and after to have a similar audience so people keep watching. And it needs to match the regular demographics of the network so the long term advertisers show their products to the appropriate demographics.

What's good? One of the three NCIS? Survivor? MacGuyver? Criminal Minds?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Woohoo! Just checked Netflix and there it is! I know what I’m doing for the next 45 minutes!

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Visually it was fantastic, little too dark but that is a cheap way to hide/help the FX. Klingons, just a waste, does not even look like they can turn their heads. Writing and dialog was on par with most network prime time shows, meaning it is not character driven but plot driven, making the characters look smart when needed or dumb in scenes. Characters, well still too early to tell and it mostly focused on the Captain and her number one.

Figure that is it for me watching, at this time, as I don't plan to get CBS All Access.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I loved it! Best Star Trek I’ve seen in years - way better than Voyager, Enterprise, or the new movies. I’m in for the long haul.

If “feels” Wrath of Khan-like to me in terms of tone and visuals.

Now I have to wait a whole week for episode 3. Darn it.

This is what Enterprise should have been like.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

Remove ads