Discovery Trailer

Hussar

Legend
Water Bob, I think you've proven my point. O'Brien's rank insignia is tiny. You'd probably not even see it in less than hi-def tv.

And, if you look at Enterprise, the characters barely had any rank insignia. It's really only TOS that has highly visible rank.

I'm thinking it's pretty well established that we don't need braids for ranks.

Ryujin

Legend
I think you might be just looking for more reasons,and I honestly think that you are a bit biast due to your feelings regarding the actions CBS took against Axanar.

I'll certainly admit to bias as everyone has it, whether they know it or not. Where Axanar is concerned, however, I see a lot of blame to spread around on all sides. I just don't get the Star Trek feel from this show while, simultaneously and as previously mentioned, getting a definite feeling of something that had its birth in Star Trek fanfic; The Mary Sue. The lead character, who for the first time isn't the captain of a ship, looks like someone's wish fulfillment. From Wikipedia (admittedly not the best source, however...) "First officer of the USS Shenzhou, referred to as "Number One". She was raised as a Vulcan by Sarek, and is the first human to attend the Vulcan Learning Center and Vulcan Science Academy. Executive producer Alex Kurtzman noted that Sarek's son Spock never mentioned a sister in the original series, and that they were careful to not break the existing canon. The show's protagonist was not made a starship captain, like those of previous Star Trek series, "to see a character from a different perspective on the starship—one who has different dynamic relationships with a captain, with subordinates, it gave us richer context""

Lighting - Seems like someone took a look at Abrams' work and decided to distance themselves as much as possible from lens flares. The result is a dark set reminiscent of the bridge of a submarine.

Uniforms - Say what you will but Star Fleet is a paramilitary organization along the lines of European navies from the empire building period; enforce, interdict, explore, take in the name of The Crown. As such a naval feel is essential, to me.

Insignia - See above discussion.

The Ship as Revealed - Half Fed half Klingon. Hate it. Of course that's purely subjective, but there are so many previous designs that are so much better. And yes, the Ares class from Axanar is just one of them. The Discovery feels like a kludge. Personally, I'd have gone for something along the lines of the Baker Class Cruiser, made period appropriate of course.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The lead character, who for the first time isn't the captain of a ship, looks like someone's wish fulfillment. From Wikipedia (admittedly not the best source, however...) "First officer of the USS Shenzhou, referred to as "Number One". She was raised as a Vulcan by Sarek, and is the first human to attend the Vulcan Learning Center and Vulcan Science Academy. Executive producer Alex Kurtzman noted that Sarek's son Spock never mentioned a sister in the original series, and that they were careful to not break the existing canon. The show's protagonist was not made a starship captain, like those of previous Star Trek series, "to see a character from a different perspective on the starship—one who has different dynamic relationships with a captain, with subordinates, it gave us richer context""

Huh? Which bit is the wish fulfilment? Seems a lot less Mary Sue (god, I hate that term - it's so dismissive) than Kirk, the youngest ever starship captain, and his bestie Spock.

Ryujin

Legend
Huh? Which bit is the wish fulfilment? Seems a lot less Mary Sue (god, I hate that term - it's so dismissive) than Kirk, the youngest ever starship captain, and his bestie Spock.

I guess that we'll have to wait and see on that.

*Ninja Edit* Kick was the youngest but not the best, who was presented in that show. That honour goes to Garth of Izar, who was a legendary strategist (and at the time of TOS quite mad). Kirk was also not presented as flawless. Good, but not perfect.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I guess that we'll have to wait and see on that.

*Ninja Edit* Kick was the youngest but not the best, who was presented in that show. That honour goes to Garth of Izar, who was a legendary strategist (and at the time of TOS quite mad). Kirk was also not presented as flawless. Good, but not perfect.

I’m curious where “flawless” featured in that quote you presented as the Mary Sue-ness? It’s just a sentence saying she was raised by Sarek.

You seem to be trying real hard to dislike this. Which is fine, you don’t have to like it. But why invest so much effort in doing so?

Ryujin

Legend
I’m curious where “flawless” featured in that quote you presented as the Mary Sue-ness? It’s just a sentence saying she was raised by Sarek.

You seem to be trying real hard to dislike this. Which is fine, you don’t have to like it. But why invest so much effort in doing so?

Please note that my original post said that "I'm getting a feeling" ;)

I just don't get the Star Trek feel from this show while, simultaneously and as previously mentioned, getting a definite feeling of something that had its birth in Star Trek fanfic; The Mary Sue. The lead character, who for the first time isn't the captain of a ship, looks like someone's wish fulfillment. From Wikipedia (admittedly not the best source, however...) "First officer of the USS Shenzhou, referred to as "Number One". She was raised as a Vulcan by Sarek, and is the first human to attend the Vulcan Learning Center and Vulcan Science Academy. Executive producer Alex Kurtzman noted that Sarek's son Spock never mentioned a sister in the original series, and that they were careful to not break the existing canon. The show's protagonist was not made a starship captain, like those of previous Star Trek series, "to see a character from a different perspective on the starship—one who has different dynamic relationships with a captain, with subordinates, it gave us richer context"

I don't see any reason to invoke the "Mary Sue" trope. Even in the trailers alone we can see she has anger issues and struggles with feelings of insecurity over not being "Vulcan enough".
As mentioned by Morrus, Kirk fits that so much better, and certainly qualifies for the "wish fulfilment" aspects.

I like the idea of focusing on the first officer. The captain should stay on the ship after all, so if much of the story is elsewhere then the officer in charge of the away teams is the main character. Riker was very much the main character of the away team focused episodes.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I don't see any reason to invoke the "Mary Sue" trope. Even in the trailers alone we can see she has anger issues and struggles with feelings of insecurity over not being "Vulcan enough".
As mentioned by Morrus, Kirk fits that so much better, and certainly qualifies for the "wish fulfilment" aspects.

I like the idea of focusing on the first officer. The captain should stay on the ship after all, so if much of the story is elsewhere then the officer in charge of the away teams is the main character. Riker was very much the main character of the away team focused episodes.

I would love a show which focused on lower decks and you rarely saw the bridge crew.

I definitely prefer it when the different departments wear different colours.

Unless it's the TOS movies where they all wear those red things. By far my favourite Trek uniform.

Even then, the divisions were colour coded by the undershirt, the shoulder band, and the stripe on the pants.
But, agreed, those were nice uniforms. Personal favourite as well, just ahead of TNG movie uniforms.

Remove ads