D&D 5E Spell Gem in Out of the Abyss

Huntsman57

First Post
I don't know how I'm missing it, but while the Spell Gem is listed in the back of the module, I can't seem to find exactly where in the adventure it turns up. Could anyone offer a bit of guidance in regards to this?

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
They're mentioned throughout the Gracklstugh and Blingdenstone chapters -- page 106, for example, where the characters might earn one as a reward.

CapnZapp

Legend
* mention on page 63, section on "Werz"
* mention on page 98, sections on "Miner's Guild" and "Stoneheart Enclave"
* mention on page 102, section on "Tunnel"
* is present on page 103 as mentioned. Since Hallow is a 5th level spell, this is actually one of the best treasures in the entire adventure, especially for a Warlock (effectively +50% more spells is unheard of in other circumstances)
* a second separate gem on page 106. This treasure is likely less powerful, since the adventurers are likely not 9th level when they reach Blingdenstone. Still, for a Warlock, a godly item to get.
* mentions on pages 107 and 109 in relation to "Neheedra"
* the page 103 spell gem is to be used on page 109

Gemstones play several other non-monetary roles in the adventure (they contain, control and imprison creatures and act as compasses or even food), but these aren't spell gems.

Huntsman57

First Post
* mention on page 63, section on "Werz"
* is present on page 103 as mentioned. Since Hallow is a 5th level spell, this is actually one of the best treasures in the entire adventure, especially for a Warlock (effectively +50% more spells is unheard of in other circumstances)

Thanks guys.

The Warlock does have to cast the spell to store the spell, using a spell slot presumably. So, I suppose that to have it as an extra spell slot, the Warlock would need to have the luxury of time to short rest after the casting? Or does it not burn a spell slot?

CydKnight

Explorer
Thanks guys.

The Warlock does have to cast the spell to store the spell, using a spell slot presumably. So, I suppose that to have it as an extra spell slot, the Warlock would need to have the luxury of time to short rest after the casting? Or does it not burn a spell slot?
It will burn a spell slot to cast it into the gem, yes.

Remove ads