Player Inventions, Innovations and Creative Problem Solving

Privateer

First Post
I think everyone has had, at some point in their gaming history, a strikingly brilliant idea of some kind. It may have involved inventing something, or finding another option into or out of a situation, and so forth. What were these situations and ideas for you?

This was brought about by my session today, in which the players were beset by kobolds using murder holes the size of baseballs. The small size of the holes made it difficult for the players to reach them (especially with their penchant for big slashing weapons), so after retreating and licking their wounds one player had an idea that was, in essence, a small, locking, clockwork, metal umbrella. It worked by sticking it into the murder hole, expanding it whist inside and then locking it in place with extendible handles and hooks. They worked amazingly, and netted the PC a good share of bonus experience :D

Now your turn -- I trust you people will have some good ones...

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
My players had a great one once that I enjoy retelling.

They were at the top of a 100' tower, which had a large shaft down the center (the stairs hugged the inside of the tower). The barbarian had already been knocked down the center of the tower by the serpent-people they were fighting, and was only alive by a few hit points...hit points that would be gone when his rage ended in a few rounds.

Worse, a serpent-man was levitating in the center of the tower (thanks to his fly spell) and blasting them with lightning bolts from about 30' down.

One player, the cleric, took drastic action. He leapt down into the center of the tower, and, making his roll (I can't recall what kind) grabs onto the serpent-man in mid-air! As the momentum of his jump carried them down, he managed to get off an attack, and slays the magic-user! Even luckier, the fly spell slowly bled off the momentum of the fall, and stopped near the floor - where the cleric leapt down in time to heal the barbarian, who was on the last round of his rage.

There was much high-fiving going around after that stunt. It was grand. :)

Arc

First Post
Hmmm... there are plenty of 'not quites' in our group, but a few major plot items and epic actoins that were passing ideas that we threw around, and ended up actually doing.

Biggest: The half-orc fighter asked my arcane archer mercenary if he would be interested in working as a merc in the blood war for some cash. The DM character (a wizard) opened a gate to the abyss, had a balor interview the fighter, and ended up tasking us with killing the executioner of hell. The DM figured on a quick excursion, 1 or 2 fights, and some XP. That was before the party managed to get 5000 paladins to come along with us, all on Halruan (sp) airships. Needless to say, those 1 or 2 battles became 8 or 9.

Not quites: 1) We're fighting a ghost next to a cliff in Rokugan. The party rogue (who thinks he's a fighter) decides to 'Jump on him and attack.' The percentile dice came up 32. The roguedropped like a stone.
2) The rogue/assasin (another one, much better) has finished his observations for death attack, has the epic feat allowing him to crit/sneak attack undead/constructs, and is positioned above the flying imp lich that has been schooling the party. He jumps! He attacks! His ring of blinking is still on! The percentiles come up 14! He drops like a stone!

Last edited:

heimdall

Dwarven Guardian
We were playing Vampire. One of the PCs was in the sporting goods section of Wal-Mart. He and another PC were looking to rip off the shotguns that were there when his auspex picked up an obfuscated vampire. They knew who she was and even the two of them together weren't powerful enough to take her on.

He yells to his partner to grab a bike from the rack and goes for a skateboard himself. She realizes the jig was up, draws her broadsword (yes, she's that archaic, but she's also obfuscated) and goes for them (he spotted her far enough away to have just a bit of prep time). You can figure out what happens next. Partner is able to get the bike, get up a modest bit of speed with the other player in tow on the skateboard. They barrel straight for her but at the last minute the guy on the bike veers down an aisle whipping around the PC on the skateboard. PC on the bike is able to clear the area. That leaves the guy on the skateboard.

He's a fast little bugger (celerity 3) and he's a kid vampire (part of his concept) which means he's less than 5' tall. He proceeds to Ali her outstretched leg and duck her sword swing (makes the requisite rolls), meaning he doesn't lose momentum. He makes his check to turn the corner and makes a couple more checks to dodge the other shoppers and he, too, is out of Wal-Mart.

ergeheilalt

First Post
Heh. I once played a gnomish engineer fellow in a game. Aside from crafting parachutes, making an alchemist's-fire launching crossbow, and building a bastille; the most fun was when we hit a water trap.

Basically all the doors shut and the room began filling with water. The rogue in the party tried her best to disable the trap, but was unsuccessful. The DM ruled that if I was show the trap I could so something. My tools were out on my horse, so I pulled some wet alchemist fire flasks out of my bag and some explosive materials (not much more that flash powder). I stuffed it all into box where the trap mechanism was and lit the fuse.

Not only was the trap blown to pieces, but there was a huge hole in the wall leading to the next room :D

Erge

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases