D&D 5E My tweak to make (Champion) Fighters decent

Zardnaar

Legend
For Hexcrawls, you are much better served with the 'Gritty realism' rest variant, that turns Short rests into overnight affairs and Long rests into week long R+R breaks in town.

This perfectly meshes with a campaign that features 0-2 encounters per day, and roughly 3-4 days featuring encounters between the party resting in town. It plays like this:

Day 1: Party finish long rest and exploration prep and leave town.
Days 2-5: Party travel with no encounters
Day 6: Party deal with single combat encounter (bandits)
Day 7: Party travel to bandit camp, no encounters
Day 8: Party deal with bandit camp, 3 encounters
Days 9-11: Party travel and explore several hexes; no encounters
Day 12: Party has random combat encounter while they sleep.
Days 13-15: No encounters, exploration
Day 16: Party has encounter in morning as they wake, and a second one later that afternoon
Day 17-21: Party wearily trudge back to town, down on HP, HD and resources.
Day 22-28: Party arrive back in town, and rest for a week to heal injuries, recover their energy (and spell slots) and spend gold

In the above four weeks, the party has had [long rest] - 7 encounters broken up by 3 short rests - [long rest] - a single 'adventuring day'.

They're designed around dungeon hacks for sure (6-8 encounters is around your standard number for 1 level of a dungeon).

Personally I think the numbers are too high. A default of 3-5 encounters would have been better pacing for mine (with short rest abilities recharging automatically per encounter). Most game sessions only feature around 3-5 encounters, and many groups prefer to arrange or contrive a 'long rest' to happen at the end of the game session (makes book-keeping easier, and is a natural break in play to reset abilities).

To have the game mechanically match that pacing, you would need to reduce long rest resources (particularly spell slots and sorcery points, but also luck points) by around 20-30 percent, and reduce Barbarian rages per day by 1.

In my own 'rules tweak' document, I make the following changes for my own home campaign:

Short rest: A short rest takes 5 minutes, and you cant benefit from more than one every 4 hours (your average dungeon raid). You can spend up to half your HD when you short rest.

Long rest: A long rest takes 8 hours, and you cant benefit from more than one every 24 hours. You recover no HP when you long rest, but you recover 1/2 your level in HD. At the end of the Long rest, you can spend as many HD as you want to heal. You also recover 1 expended spell slot of each of levels 1-5, plus 1 expended spell slot (or arcanum) of levels 6+.

Barbarian 'rages per day' are reduced by 1 (but they get a fighting style to compensate). The Lucky feat is 1/short rest and not 3/ long rest.

Basically it forces spellcasters and barbarians (and paladins) to reign in smiting/ casting/ raging due to having less resources to use, or due to the risk of it taking several days to get those resources back. Short rest classes get one short rest with no jarring 1 hour breaks during dungeoneering.

Its geared for a 4-5 encounter adventuring day, and to increase overall difficulty to my liking.

Mostly agree with this, I liked the 4 encounters thing of 3E to be honest, the rest of the CR system not so much.

Mostly agree with this, I liked the 4 encounters thing of 3E to be honest, the rest of the CR system not so much.

Its exhausting having to police the adventuring day and rests.

On the other hand, it gives you a few extra dials at your disposal to increase encounter difficulty and muck about with class balance.

Instead of ramping up encounter difficulty, you can just use more encounters.

Sometimes I kind of yearn for a milestone system, or some mechancial way of enforcing it all that takes some of that work away from the DM.

The only mechancial solutions I have seen have been heavy handed approaches (You can rest as much as you like, but only the rest you take after your 6th encounter counts as a long rest. Other rests only count as short rests') or use of the Gritty realism/ longer rest variant.

S'mon

Legend
5E is not good at hex crawls as it turns out due to the encounters and class design. They either get trivially easy encounters or immersion breaking +6 or +7 CR type encounters.

Anything else 5E does well like skill checks perhaps is not really any significantly better than say AD&D wisdom checks to avoid becoming lost or whatever.

The 5E expectations work alright for something like a Dungeon hack, fairly badly for most other adventure types and it might actually be worse than Basic/1E for exploration.

Re 5e & hexcrawling, which is a big part of my Wilderlands sandbox.
I'm generally ok with +6 or +7 CR* encounters, though the lack of Feats & Multiclassing, the low magic level, and the small number of PCs (1-4, typically 2-3) mitigate the need for this. Gygaxian 1e has 30-300 orcs and 1-4 dragons listed as typical # appearing so there's plenty of precedent for this anyway. Last
night Hakeem the Barb-18 and Ajax the brand new Wiz-8 encountered 84 pirates (CR 0.5, as MM Scout) led by 4 Pirate leaders (as Bandit Captain), a heavy ballista (ATT +5 for 10d6+3, ignores armour) and CR 9 pirate chief Captain Typhoon (AC 15 hp 200, 4 attacks at +12 for 2d12+8 with a demonic greataxe) and they survived ok, though the Wiz-8 got taken to 0 hp in round 1 by a rain of 23 heavy arbalest bolts (2d10+2 dmg each) when he cast Confusion on the boarding party - should have used Fireball & Mirror Image I reckon. :D
The Barb-18 had hid in cover on the deck, then used his boots of striding and springing to leap into melee with Typhoon and proceeded to carve him up nicely (14 attacks/round at +4/d8+2 from the pirates
having little impact on a raging AC 22 barb), after which the pirates were happy to reconsider their life choices... They think they just had a run in with Bondor, God of Swords since Hakeem now wears Bondorr's legendary armour, & wields his Sword, so they were happy to hand over the captured Wiz-8 and depart in peace.

One thing I have just done to help with hexploration is to reduce wilderness hit dice recovery to 1/4 max per day, rounded down to minimum 1, so eg Hakeem was only recovering 4 hd/day after this battle and
stayed apprehensive until his ship made it home a few days later.

*The day before meeting the pirates, Hakeem Barb-17, Shieldbiter Barb-14, Dagda Ftr-11 & Vailin a ToB elf veteran archer hd 14 had battled a CR 13 Stuhac & 6 CR 9 skeletal vine trolls (all from ToB) on Three Sword Isle. A great fight, Dagda & Vailin were slain but Hakeem & Shieldbiter were eventually able to kill two trolls while using
the protection of the Cave of the Swords (warded against evil) then chase down & kill Stuhac. With the evil spirit's death the curse on the Isle faded and they found the other 4 skeletons de-animated. Shieldbiter
gained the Dragonblade, one of the three swords of Bondor's companions, a +2 flaming sword doing
1d12 1-h +2d6 fire, and they left the other two fiery blades in the Cave. Also Hakeem & Shieldbiter
both levelled up. :D

Last edited:

Remove ads