D&D 5E Multiclassing rogue+caster

intently

Explorer
Arcane Tricksters are pretty sweet, but I'm looking at ways to multiclass with rogue and a full caster class. Rogue seems like an east MC because they only have ASI break points and not extra attack.

My current idea is to go rogue 4 (swashbuckler) and warlock 3 (fiend, chain). Eldritch blast, friends, booming blade. Misty visions, mask of many faces. Hex, command, invisibility. Then maybe warlock 4 and 5 for ASI and level 3 spells.

Any other great ideas for the first 7/9 levels of a MC rogue/caster?

faria

First Post
I made an Arcane Trickster X/Grassland Druid 5 multiclass that was fun as :):):):). It's hard to optimize a weird combo like that, or any Rogue/Spellcaster. You're never gonna put out as much damage as your friends, so don't even try. Just optimize your fun and work towards getting the spells you really want. The build you came up with above looks like it'd work great. Are you still planning to go Arcane Trickster or Assassin? I wouldn't recommend Thief...

Last edited:

Right now I am a rogue 1/bard 1 planning to become an arcane trickster lore bard. My highest stats are 14 in Dex and Charisma. I am a human and took ritual caster. From an optimizing standpoint I could have chosen half elf for one more skill, darkvision and 2 more charisma. But I really found it cool to be able to collect ritual spells.

intently

Explorer
I made an Arcane Trickster X/Grassland Druid 5 multiclass that was fun as :):):):). It's hard to optimize a weird combo like that, or any Rogue/Spellcaster. You're never gonna put out as much damage as your friends, so don't even try. Just optimize your fun and work towards getting the spells you really want. The build you came up with above looks like it'd work great. Are you still planning to go Arcane Trickster or Assassin? I wouldn't recommend Thief...

Planning to go swashbuckler for my rogue archetype. Might try the darkness/devil sight combo for extra cheese. If I only go 3 levels in Warlock I think I'd be able to do some reasonable DPS.

Right now I am a rogue 1/bard 1 planning to become an arcane trickster lore bard. My highest stats are 14 in Dex and Charisma. I am a human and took ritual caster. From an optimizing standpoint I could have chosen half elf for one more skill, darkvision and 2 more charisma. But I really found it cool to be able to collect ritual spells.

I'm playing a dex Paladin with ritual caster now, and it's ridiculous how much utility he has without sacrificing any combat ability so far. Ritual Caster and Magic Initiate are both underrated feats I think.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
A rogue/warlock seems like a great combination as the combination of skills, short rest spells and invocations will give you loads of utility in many situations. EB keeps going up with character level so it doesn't matter it doesn't trigger sneak attack, and you can do melee as you mention with booming blade + SA. Swashbuckler is great at getting in and getting out.

You can pull out nice utility spells and if you have a long rest it's not impacting your spells for the next scenes at all.

I really believe eldritch blast evocations are wasted on a rogue multiclass. As a multiclassed character you should rather try to take interesting and synergizing invocations. You should also remember that your prime ability will be dexterity, so eldritch blast is am emergency option at best. Better take mask of many faces and probably armor of shadows and maybe devil sight. Or beguiling presence for more skills.

WarpedAcorn

First Post
I really like the concept of the Rogue/Warlock. Its got that great set-up of a Thief who steals the wrong trinket and is suddenly now wrapped up in a larger supernatural struggle. There's a lot of ways you can go with it.

It also has me immediately think of Corvo from the Dishonored video game series. In it a man (technically a Bodyguard but has all the skills of an Assassin) gets imprisoned and sentenced to death. A being known as the Outsider appears and offers him the means to escape, branding his hand and giving him special powers...so basically making a Warlock Pact. Through the game you use a combination of magic, stealth, and combat to overcome obstacles. So basically you're a Rogue/Warlock. =D

Now, the build itself might not be up to Powergaming standards, but I think it has a lot of potential. (Although to be fair, I think Warlock has the most story potential of any class)

intently

Explorer
I really believe eldritch blast evocations are wasted on a rogue multiclass. As a multiclassed character you should rather try to take interesting and synergizing invocations. You should also remember that your prime ability will be dexterity, so eldritch blast is am emergency option at best. Better take mask of many faces and probably armor of shadows and maybe devil sight. Or beguiling presence for more skills.

Yes, I agree about the EB invocations. I'm thinking Mask of Many Faces and Devil's Sight would be super fun.

Yes, I agree about the EB invocations. I'm thinking Mask of Many Faces and Devil's Sight would be super fun.

I really like that you don't plan too far ahead. In my experience you spend most time between level 3 and 9. So aiming for a nice level 7 combo seems perfect.
My rogue bard has its first breakpoint at 1/2 then 3/2 and then 3/3 everything else is optional. If the game dictates it I may even multiclass further. Best. With ritual caster feat my rituals will always be as high as if I were a full wizard. So at 5 I will try to get phantom steed and tiny hut asap.

Remove ads