D&D 5E A few new fighting styles

I don't really see the balance issue if a ranger gets +7 on AC against opportunity attacks. Yeah, it produces an AC that looks really high within the paradigm of bounded accuracy, but considering any 2nd level rogue can disengage as a bonus action whenever they want and effectively have infinite AC against opportunity attacks, I don't buy that this is a game-breaker.
It does remove one of the big limits on archers: getting out of melee. If your AC is going from 17 to 20 for opportunity attacks and the attacker has disadvantage, you don't have to worry about escaping melee. Especially since it doesn't even require multi-classing.

I don't see what you're referring to in the restrained condition.
Brain hiccup. I was remembering how restrained worked in 4e while trying to think of an example of text that shuts down forced movement.

I guess +5 feet of movement is another possibility. If I did that, I'd probably ditch the AC bonus. But to me, the AC bonus really sells this as a fighting style, you get what I mean?
The AC for characters with light armour can be pretty high once their Dex gets up there. I can picture my fighter pairing this with riposte, purposely provoking to get an extra attack.

Maybe something more active. Negating one opportunity attack against you per turn. Or maybe negating one against a foe you haven't attacked (or haven't attacked since the start of your last turn), so this allows you to just run past an enemy. But it prevents you from kiting an enemy.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Mixed Tactics. [Fighter, Ranger] You can sheathe one weapon and draw another as part of the same action. You gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls you make with a ranged weapon if the last attack you made was with a melee weapon, and vice versa.

First suggestion is really minor - take out "one" from the sheath/draw. That's alreasy the default, and it''s overwritten but the Dual Wielder feat to allow two.

But the main question is how does this work with thrown weapons? They are melee weapons making a ranged attack - so by the letter you could throw a dagger and then shoot a crossbow each round. If you want it to be back and forth, I'd suggest changing to melee attack and ranged attack instead. (This would also allow using things like unarmed which as per errata is not a weapon attack.)

A last thing for consideration. This changes the meaning slightly and makes it more powerful, btu also eliminates the pwoergamer "last attack" loophole and also more likely fits actual usage where it will be uncommon to do both types in the same round.

"If during your last turn you made any melee attacks, your ranged attacks this turn are made at +1 to hit and damage. If during your last turn you made any ranged attacks, your melee attacks this turn are made at +1 to hit and damage."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases