5E Illithid PC
+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 64

Thread: Illithid PC

  1. #1

    Illithid PC

    A WIP - I'd appreciate some feedback.
    Thanks in advance.

    http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/ByQwUAh2eb

    Name:  Screen Shot 2017-05-19 at 6.45.14 PM.png
Views: 3332
Size:  1.69 MB
    Name:  Screen Shot 2017-05-19 at 6.45.24 PM.png
Views: 1876
Size:  1.49 MB
    XP cbwjm gave XP for this post

  2. #2
    Member
    Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)

    CAFRedblade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    482
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Dragon Age RPGNumeneraI Defended The Walls!Gygax Memorial Fund

    Block CAFRedblade


    Friend+
    Not sure what your campaign world looks like, if these as PC's will be hitting surface. But Illithids are pretty hated across the board. Everyone will be afraid or want to kill the PC(s). Maybe some social skill penalty?

    For Lack of Initiative: perhaps utilize Permanent Disadvantage instead of always going last. Gives players a chance to surprise themselves when they act first.
    The ability score penalty might be too harsh, on the other hand they get some nice traits, bordering on overpowered maybe..
    So that may require some playtesting.
    For languages, maybe give em Deep Speech and Undercommon, then each one gets an option for common or a more exotic language?
    XP Elon Tusk, monsmord gave XP for this post

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Elon Tusk View Post
    A WIP - I'd appreciate some feedback.
    Thanks in advance.
    This guy again. Didn't /tg/ already tell you what a terrible idea this is? You REALLY like mind flayers dude. I mean, REALLY. More than I like half-elf twinks.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by CAFRedblade View Post
    Not sure what your campaign world looks like, if these as PC's will be hitting surface. But Illithids are pretty hated across the board. Everyone will be afraid or want to kill the PC(s). Maybe some social skill penalty?
    I think the same could be said for a drow, orc, or yuan-ti PC, but I can see that as balancing opportunity.
    Maybe disadvantage on Charisma (persuasion) on any non-illithid.

    Quote Originally Posted by CAFRedblade View Post
    For Lack of Initiative: perhaps utilize Permanent Disadvantage instead of always going last. Gives players a chance to surprise themselves when they act first.
    I like that.

    Quote Originally Posted by CAFRedblade View Post
    The ability score penalty might be too harsh, on the other hand they get some nice traits, bordering on overpowered maybe.
    So that may require some playtesting.
    Yeah. I have players that have been asking to play these so we'll get to that.
    Maybe their sunlight sensitivity also reduces their movement.

    Quote Originally Posted by CAFRedblade View Post
    For languages, maybe give em Deep Speech and Undercommon, then each one gets an option for common or a more exotic language?
    Or maybe just Deep Speech and Undercommon except for Alhoons which don't get telepathy.


    Thanks

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by CAFRedblade View Post
    Not sure what your campaign world looks like, if these as PC's will be hitting surface. But Illithids are pretty hated across the board. Everyone will be afraid or want to kill the PC(s). Maybe some social skill penalty?
    I think the same could be said for a drow, orc, or yuan-ti PC, but I can see that as balancing opportunity.
    Maybe disadvantage on Charisma (persuasion) on any non-illithid.

    Quote Originally Posted by CAFRedblade View Post
    For Lack of Initiative: perhaps utilize Permanent Disadvantage instead of always going last. Gives players a chance to surprise themselves when they act first.
    I like that.

    Quote Originally Posted by CAFRedblade View Post
    The ability score penalty might be too harsh, on the other hand they get some nice traits, bordering on overpowered maybe.
    So that may require some playtesting.
    Yeah. I have players that have been asking to play these so we'll get to that.
    Maybe their sunlight sensitivity also reduces their movement.

    Quote Originally Posted by CAFRedblade View Post
    For languages, maybe give em Deep Speech and Undercommon, then each one gets an option for common or a more exotic language?
    Or maybe just Deep Speech and Undercommon except for Alhoons which don't get telepathy.


    Thanks

  6. #6
    Elon Tusk, I know you. I'm not going away. When boys bullied you in school did you just cover your ears and kick your feet and ignore them? You've been trying to make a mind flayer PC race for months and I've always been there, along with all the others, telling you how terrible the idea was. It's stupid and absurd. I know you are reading this, just like you read my other posts on /tg/ about this.

  7. #7
    Frazzled
    Titan (Lvl 27)

    Morrus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Intrawebs
    Posts
    36,077
    Reviews
    Read 23 Reviews
    EN World EN5ider13th AgeSupermanCircvs MaximvsENniesPathfinderZEITGEISTDoctor Who

    Block Morrus


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDM View Post
    Elon Tusk, I know you. I'm not going away. When boys bullied you in school did you just cover your ears and kick your feet and ignore them? You've been trying to make a mind flayer PC race for months and I've always been there, along with all the others, telling you how terrible the idea was. It's stupid and absurd. I know you are reading this, just like you read my other posts on /tg/ about this.
    Harassment is *not* tolerated here.
    XP LordEntrails gave XP for this post

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDM View Post
    Elon Tusk, I know you. I'm not going away. When boys bullied you in school did you just cover your ears and kick your feet and ignore them? You've been trying to make a mind flayer PC race for months and I've always been there, along with all the others, telling you how terrible the idea was. It's stupid and absurd. I know you are reading this, just like you read my other posts on /tg/ about this.
    What an embarrassing and useless post.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    XP MechaPilot gave XP for this post

  9. #9
    Elon, you and your jackbooted thugs might have won this round, but I'll be back!!!!!
    Laugh Warpiglet laughed with this post

  10. #10
    I'm really not sure that letting a player start a PC as a level one quasi-lich aberration is a good idea, even if its stat block was gutted and replaced with copy-pastes from other PHB races.

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Similar Threads

  1. Illithid Dog???
    By Gothenem in forum D&D 5th Edition News, Rules, Homebrews, and House Rules
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Friday, 6th October, 2006, 06:27 PM
  2. Illithid Savant
    By Tsillanabor in forum Roleplaying Games General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Tuesday, 6th June, 2006, 04:18 PM
  3. Illithid 3.5?
    By Wraithdrit in forum Older D&D Editions (4E, 3.x, 2E, 1E, OD&D), D&D Variants, and OSR Gaming
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Tuesday, 23rd September, 2003, 11:54 PM
  4. BOZ: Illithid-kin in d20?
    By Strutinan in forum D&D 5th Edition News, Rules, Homebrews, and House Rules
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Monday, 10th February, 2003, 07:49 PM
  5. Illithid vs DR
    By Dwarmaj in forum Older D&D Editions (4E, 3.x, 2E, 1E, OD&D), D&D Variants, and OSR Gaming
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: Tuesday, 19th February, 2002, 12:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •