Lair Assault: Spider Killer

Rolenet

Explorer
Yeah I know it's old, but in case people revive this, here's my two cents.

I DMed my fourth LA and it's by far the worst of them - utterly broken, worse even than Umberlee-broken. I can't fathom how it shipped in this state, considering the work put into the design and maps.

The fights are nice, but DO NOT PLAY this LA without having your DM fix it first.
(If you've DMed and I got something wrong, *please* tell me, I'd be glad!)

Enter the spoilers (DM only).
[sblock]
MAJOR issue: once freed, Dhusarra is supposed to zoom out and attack Shi'Nayne. What NONSENSE is that? You're supposed to run a NPC vs. NPC battle, in the background, during a LA?? Worse is, D has strong odds of dominating S and thereby having her toss the ring and *ending the game*.
That's what happened in our game. This bypasses both the mirror challenge and the last fight... Totally silly.

MAJOR ISSUE: entering room 2 without the boat through entrance A is an absolute deathtrap. All 5 spiders can immobilize the PCs, sending them to a chasm insta-death and the darkmantle can also hobble them, not to mention the drow poison. Each Draw to Doom attack is a save-or-die situation, because the current flows at the START of the turn. Even if you set the swim DC low (why the Hell isn't this specified??), this is a pathetic way to fail.

MINOR ISSUE: all drows are supposed to use ranged attacks whenever possible. Except they have but a single ranged shot each...

MINOR ISSUE: what with the Guardroom? It's barred shut, hard to reach... and completely useless.

MINOR ISSUE: it's way too long for a LA. Unless the players know the tricks, and can speed-run it, bypassing EACH AND EVERY monster (get strong defenses and Athletics, plus teleport, run through the whirlpool and mirror, break the columns, END).
[/sblock]

And here are suggested fixes. DM eyes only.

[sblock]
ROOM 1
1. Replace the hunters' encounter attack with a weak at-will ranged attack
2. Do not start the encounter until a contact is established or attack is rolled. This is not how you start an encounter.

ROOM 2
3. Give each drow a basic ranged attack.
4. Make the Guardroom door locked and pickable. Place a spare wand in it *obviously*.
5. Possibly place the drows in the guardroom at the start, with a couple sentinels out only. The spiders should start near the walls and only move after one round.
6. Remove one darkmantle, put the other in ambush near the mirror, waiting for the PCs and blocking the way.
7. Roll for swimming at DC15 *before* the river current effect.
8. Make sure that the big spider's Draw to Doom attacks acts as a safety rope, preventing it from plunging to its death. After all, it wants to feed, not drown prey!

ROOM 3
9. Obviously, Dhusarra should simply follow the PCs around, not exit the room by itself. And do not run her as a NPC (clumsy), instead have her block the ritual and vanish, forcing the PC to fight it out but stopping the clock.
10. Allow for social skill uses with Dhusarra: she must be convinced of helping rather than vanishing.

ROOM 4
11. Allow for Thievery on the doors.
12. I don't think Shi'nayne should have a Slide 2 *effect*. She single-handedly TPKed with this.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Hallowed

First Post
Thanks for the review!

I actually ran umberlee and it went great but to be fair I completely changed the second encounter.

I'm about to run Kill the Wizard. Have you ran that one? It looks solid.

Rolenet

Explorer
I actually ran umberlee and it went great but to be fair I completely changed the second encounter.
In our run, the second was OK. It's the first that turned way too easily bypassed.

I'm about to run Kill the Wizard. Have you ran that one? It looks solid.
Nope, but I will eventually. Please create a thread when you run it!

Hallowed

First Post
Yeah they pretty much smoked the first part too. I would recommend setting the sneak DC to at least moderate if not hard. My group just sneaked through the whole thing effortlessly, but they still had a lot of fun planning everything out and killing the minions while they slept, so I considered it a success.

Another thing you could do is make an alarm sound when they pick up the artifact. They would probably just run away into the boat, but it would still create tension.

I will definitely make a report about how Killing the Wizard goes. I think lair assaults are a really cool idea and something that tries to use 4e to its full potential. For Umberlee I used the achievements and just added two zeroes to the glory amounts and gave out gold instead for completing them. It's pretty meta but who cares, everyone had fun.

Remove ads