D&D 5E Looking for Feedback for a Possible D&D House Rule

LexStarwalker

First Post
I thought I'd solicit opinions on a D&D house rule I've been thinking about. I'm looking for feedback from other DMs, as I already know most players aren't going to like a house rule that would possibly nerf their character. ;)

It seems to me that Dexterity in 5e is rather overpowered compared to other ability scores, especially Strength. Now that Dexterity gives a damage bonus to all attacks that use it, and it can be used with finesse weapons like daggers, shortswords, and rapiers, I think the system really favors a Dex fighter over a Strength fighter. Not only does Dexterity also benefit your armor class (unless you're wearing heavy armor), but you also encounter Dex saves more often in the game than Strength saves.

I've always seen this as an issue, but could never think of a way to address it without doing a major hack to the game. Last night, as I was falling asleep, I had an idea. It's very simple and straightforward, and doesn't totally nerf Dex, but does put a little bit of a limitation on it so the Strength fighters can still compete. I also think it makes sense in a mechanical and in-world sense.

The house rule would be simply this: I would change the damage of rapiers from 1d8 piercing to 1d6 piercing. This would decrease its damage output by one. It's not a huge shift, but it would mean that Strength fighters would be able to use one-handed weapons which do a little more damage (1d8) than Dex fighters (1d6). I think that makes more sense. I would also maybe change rapier to a light weapon, so PCs could dual wield it without needing a feat. I think that would be fair because the rapier would do the same damage as a shortsword, which is a light weapon. The only difference would be in flavor, really. Well, that and I allow shortswords to do piercing or slashing damage (not that I've ever seen that matter mechanically).

So, in summary, the change would be:

Rapier: 1d6 piercing damage, finesse, light

Shortsword: 1d6 piercing or slashing damage (wielder's choice), finesse, light

Another thing this addresses is that I often see Dex characters use a rapier even though they really don't want to just because it does the 1d8 damage. That would remove that problem (and remove what I think is an over-abundance of rapier wielders). It also makes the elven racial proficiency with longswords (instead of rapiers) seem less odd.

I think it would also clean up the system a bit, as the rapier is odd in that it's the only finesse weapon that does 1d8 damage and isn't also a light weapon.

As a caveat, I wouldn't make this change in the beginning of a campaign, but would do it before character creation of a new campaign, so players would know ahead of time. If nothing else, I think it would be interesting to see its effect (if any) on the character builds I see.

Thoughts?

Lanliss

Explorer
I am finding that it is really hard to push outside of 5Es balance area. The more I throw at it, the more I find that it is still pretty easy to make functional, as long as I stick to a few base rules that tie to whatever I am playing with. In your case, the base rules would simply be the dice system, which a d6 is well within the bounds of, so I see no issue with this at all.

I will say though, allowing Shortsword to do slashing eliminates the need for Scimitar (or Cutlass as I prefer it), so you need to consider if that is something you want to do.

Lanliss

Explorer
Another thought I just considered. The idea of someone dual wielding rapiers looks pretty silly in my mind, so you might try to find something other than making the Dual-wieldable. Maybe some sort of Crit effect?

Max Weapon damage on a crit might work out. Only weapon, so you don't max Smites or sneak attacks.

Max weapon damage + 2xdex also seems within the bounds, causing a rapier to deal an automatic 6+ (Dex) + (Dex). Doesn't seem too broken, and fits the precise-and-deadly aspect of the Rapier pretty well I think.

Xeviat

Hero
I wouldn't want people dual wielding rapiers. Your change would make all melee Dex characters into TWFers if they wanted to go for damage. If that's okay with you, then the change isn't too bad. You won't be nerfing Dex, though; you'll just be limiting people's options.

Heavy Armor allows for higher AC than Light Armor, even with a 20 Dex.

Also, Dex saves aren't that much more uncommon than Str saves. There are a lot of monsters with grabs and trips that utilize Str saves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove ads