D&D 5E A better basics

Yunru

Banned
Banned
So the basic rules we have are only really basic in that there's not much there, rather than being easy to play (I'm looking at you Wizard with your decision-paralysis inducing spells).

So what classes and races would you choose if you could make your own Basic handbook?

DaviMMS

First Post
The intention of the basic rules is not for it to be easier to play than the PHB.
It is a kind of demo version that brings the most traditional classes with it's most traditional archetypes (Simple Fighter, Thief Rogue, Blaster Wizard and Healer Cleric).

Sent from my SM-G900M using EN World mobile app

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Clearly you misunderstand. I'm not asking what you would put in a "Demo Handbook". I'm asking what you'd put in "5E for Dummies".

DaviMMS

First Post
I though you were talking about the Basic Rules released by WotC.

If I were to rate classes by easy of use I would rate this way

Tier 1- Almost no options. Just go and smash
Barbarians and Champion Fighters

Tier 2 - Very few options or the need of some small tatical thinking. Also clerics and moon druids because you can't ruin their builds (change spells every day) and high survability.
EK and BM Fighters, All rogues, Paladins, Revised Rangers, Clerics, Moon Druids and Wizard focused on Blasting

Tier 3 - Not very tactical in play but can be tricky to build
Warlocks, Sorcerers and PHB Rangers.

Tier 4 - High tactical thinking recommended to be effective
Controller Wizard, Land Druids, Monks and Bards.

I would recommend begginers to stay away from tier 4 and ask for help when building on tier 3.

Sent from my SM-G900M using EN World mobile app

Last edited:

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Are you trying to be hard?
I don't care what's DnD at it's core. I want to know what you'd put in a handbook designed to introduce players to DnD without completely overwhelming them. That means keeping it as simple as possible.
I don't fimd new players completely overwhelmed even when I give them the entire PHB. It's the DM's job to coach them through it. Why would I want to present them anything that isn't D&D"at its core" if we're playing D&D?

You asked, and I gave my answer and reason. No need to be snippy about it just because I don't agree with you.

Sent from my SM-G900P using EN World mobile app

Remove ads