D&D 5E Swashbuckler

Baldguy33

First Post
Decided to make a Swashbuckler rogue for a upcoming campaign, and I really cant decide if Dual Wield feat is worth it or not OR if a different feat might be better? current stats are 8 16 14 8 10 16

Ive also debated on going Half elf instead

Anyone have any sugestions? Anyone played or is currently playing one?

Please give a bit of advice

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Your character will be fine either way.

It is impossible to tell you whether it is 'worth it' since you haven't told us what 'it' is that you are valuing.

guachi

Hero
The feat isn't really worth it. You'd be better off increasing dexterity at level 4 or taking a different feat at level one if playing variant human.

Lanliss

Explorer
The AC boost might be nice, depending on the kind of Swashbuckler you plan on playing. I am playing a Swashbuckler 3/Bladelock 3 in a featless game, and have not found the lack of heavier weapons to be a problem.

Defensive Duelist could be good too, allowing you to get an even larger AC boost (if only once per turn).

Charger can be good, run up and skewer an enemy with a +5 bonus and a Sneak attack (assuming you charge someone who is alone).

Mobile is nice for a Swashbuckler, as they can make a lot of use out of a little movement. The immunity to Opportunity attacks from enemies you attack is great.

Those are the only feats I can see that benefit a swashbuckler much. If you are allowed to multiclass, then a little bit of Monk could be great. 2 levels to get an AC boost, and the same benefit as Mobile.

Xeviat

Hero
Since the rogue doesn't have multiple attacks, +2 Dex is better than Dual Wielder in every way until you've maxed your Dex. It's one of the flaws of the feat, that it doesn't offer enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lanliss

Explorer
Since the rogue doesn't have multiple attacks, +2 Dex is better than Dual Wielder in every way until you've maxed your Dex. It's one of the flaws of the feat, that it doesn't offer enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The rogue can attack with a bonus action, that is kind of the point of dual wielding. 2 attacks (1d8+dex + 1d8) will be usually turn out with more damage than 1d8+dex+1.

The rogue can attack with a bonus action, that is kind of the point of dual wielding. 2 attacks (1d8+dex + 1d8) will be usually turn out with more damage than 1d8+dex+1.

But you don't need the Dual Wielder feat to use 2 shortswords.

Dual Wielder is +1 damage per hit, +1 AC
+2 DEX is both of those AND +1 to hit, initiative and DEX saves

Once you max your DEX, then maybe consider it, though I still think there are better things to take with your ASIs/feats after. Lucky, Magic Initiate, +2 CHAs to max out Persuasion for Panache, Inspiring Leader, etc.

Last edited:

The AC boost might be nice, depending on the kind of Swashbuckler you plan on playing. I am playing a Swashbuckler 3/Bladelock 3 in a featless game, and have not found the lack of heavier weapons to be a problem.

Defensive Duelist could be good too, allowing you to get an even larger AC boost (if only once per turn).

Charger can be good, run up and skewer an enemy with a +5 bonus and a Sneak attack (assuming you charge someone who is alone).

Mobile is nice for a Swashbuckler, as they can make a lot of use out of a little movement. The immunity to Opportunity attacks from enemies you attack is great.

Those are the only feats I can see that benefit a swashbuckler much. If you are allowed to multiclass, then a little bit of Monk could be great. 2 levels to get an AC boost, and the same benefit as Mobile.

Defensive Duelist competes directly with Uncanny Dodge for your reaction. While it can mitigate more damage than Uncanny Dodge at higher levels, it's not by enough for it to be worth a whole feat, IMO.

Rogues already have Cunning Action Dash + Attack for the same effective action economy as Charger, so that feat is literally a waste for them. (And it was already one of the worst feats in the game for everyone.)

Mobile has some nice benefits, though the limited Disengage part is already provided by one of the Swashbuckler's key Lv. 3 features. Still, that one is at least worth a look.

Thurmas

Explorer
If you're not set on dueling wield with two melee weapons, I would really consider Crossbow Expert and using a hand crossbow. More versatility, attacks at range or in melee, useful for sneak attacks and you'll get to add your dex mod to the damage.

If you're not set on dueling wield with two melee weapons, I would really consider Crossbow Expert and using a hand crossbow. More versatility, attacks at range or in melee, useful for sneak attacks and you'll get to add your dex mod to the damage.

In that case, you won't want to be a Swashbuckler, though. That subclass' key features are all geared toward melee. CE Rogues are better as Assassins or Arcane Tricksters.

Remove ads