Berserk

So, I want to build Guts, from the berserk anime. I remember the progression of his character from young child, to adult learning to wield that massive sword. But what would the stats be, going from the two-handed sword he learned to use as a child to the current sword that he uses in the series?

Last edited:

To begin with Max Str out. Hes wielding that thing like a chopstick so he has that. Followed by Con&Dex. I Would probably dump the 'mind stats' depending on how intimidating you want him to be

First Feat is ofcourse GWM, how else are you gonna cleave all those pesky Apostates.

As for Class. Most fitting would be Barbarian i think. With the Rage Mechanic. For extra Madness (and theme) go the Berserker Path.

That sounds interesting, but what about stats for the sword. In the anime, you see him as a kid using a smaller version of his massive sword. Then he progress to a larger sword when he gets older.

I dont rly get what you mean by 'stats for the sword' but in the Series as a kid he uses a Broadsword only because the Mercenaries "dont have swords for kids". This leads to Guts getting used to swinging a Sword around the same size he is.

As for the Dragonslayer, that thing is in a whole other League and should propably be discussed with the DM. But for a start id change the damage die. 2D8? 3D6? 4D4? Something along those lines. Maybe give it Unwieldy till you het like Str18/20?

Last edited:

WarpedAcorn

First Post
So, I want to build Guts, from the berserk anime. I remember the progression of his character from young child, to adult learning to wield that massive sword. But what would the stats be, going from the two-handed sword he learned to use as a child to the current sword that he uses in the series?

Like previously stated, for Stat he should max out Str and Con ASAP. Cha and Int should be dump stats since he doesn't care much for book learning (unlike Griffith) and really isn't incredibly personable. Wisdom, however, should be considered due to how introspective he is.

For the class, I think a Fighter/Barbarian mix. Champion should definitely be the Archetype for Fighter and Berserker for the Barbarian. I'm thinking the progression should lean more towards the Fighter end.

Since you mentioned the Stats for the sword, I would say that the sword Guts uses in his teens is a standard 2d6 Greatsword. His Band of the Hawk stint might bump up to 2d8 or 3d6. The Black Knight Dragonslayer should be 2d10 or 4d6. I would also probably House-Rule that it requires 20Str to wield and requires a custom "Exotic Weapon" Feat to swing efficiently.

Dragonslayer

I like the build that you have proposed, but didn't he end up building his weapons past the greatsword that he started out with as a kid? Would that mean that he would have to have some type of weapons smithing skill as a character?
through a bit of searching, I found on a website, a breakdown of episodes. I found that he received his sword from a remarkable blacksmith.

"I've made up my mind. I'll never entrust my sword to another again. I'll never hang from someone else's dream. From now on... every battle will be my own."
– Guts resolving to find his own purpose in life.

In search of a purpose of his own, Guts spends his time training in the mountains and frequenting the hut of a blacksmith named Godo. Eventually, he comes to the realization that his sword is an extension of his passion for battle – more precisely, an extension of himself – thereafter resolving to improve his skills with the blade and face increasingly stronger adversaries to further hone his craft.[31]
Godo gave Guts his weapon, which is referred to have a unique metal called "ultimate steel".

Last edited:

Gray Blackhelm

First Post
It's a huge sword. I'd say make a homebrew sword size larger than Greatsword. Most call them "Buster Class Swords". In this case, "Iron Buster Sword- 1D12+4, maybe +5. Reach, Seven feat. Two Handed, Requires Two Handed Proficiency. On Critical, may deal 1D5 Cleaving. Should target fail an 18 DEX save, Kills the target." Yes, this sounds extremely overpowered. However, this is how we see it function in all media it appears.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
It's a huge sword. I'd say make a homebrew sword size larger than Greatsword. Most call them "Buster Class Swords". In this case, "Iron Buster Sword- 1D12+4, maybe +5. Reach, Seven feat. Two Handed, Requires Two Handed Proficiency. On Critical, may deal 1D5 Cleaving. Should target fail an 18 DEX save, Kills the target." Yes, this sounds extremely overpowered. However, this is how we see it function in all media it appears.

LOL

Remove ads