How People REALLY Act When They Browse Facebook

Janx

Hero
Some social media may be used like that, but that's not what social media is. Message boards are an older iteration of social media (before the term gained popularity). Make no mistake, when you post on a messageboard, you are engaging with social media.

indeed. Any programmer worth their salt can reproduce the basics of MySpace/Facebook/LinkedIn/NextDoor which is posting and an activity feed/wall.

All that data could be mined, or not. That's independent of what the users are doing, which is flagging other users to be included or excluded from their view (friend/block) and posting stuff.

Forums are really the same concept, except it is post oriented (I start a topic post, you reply), and the Facebook-like systems are people centric. It's still the same mechanics in the database, just a difference in the emphasis in the UI.

What's evil about it is simply whether the host is using your data.

Jhaelen

First Post
Some social media may be used like that, but that's not what social media is. Message boards are an older iteration of social media (before the term gained popularity). Make no mistake, when you post on a messageboard, you are engaging with social media.
I know, and I'd have been disappointed if you hadn't chimed in to point it out. You're running ENWord, after all ;)

Edit: I also consider it an important difference if the social media expects users to use their real names or (like ENWord) fictitious usernames. If you check my ENWorkd profile you'll notice I keep private information to a minimum. But naturally, if you were to track my postings, you'd still find out lots of 'valuable' information. And once you manage to link my ENWorld user profile to profiles in other social media, especially those where my real name is used, the sky's the limit.

Last edited:

Remove ads