Help With Dead in Thay ***Possible Spoilers***

JPDG

First Post
[FONT=&quot]Hey everyone,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]DM here. I have a question about the gates/keys in Dead in Thay. See below.

>
>
>
>
>

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I'm doing my best to understand the white and black gates, along with the Gate House and their teleportation circles. Honestly, I just need a better summary than what is listed in TYP.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Can y'all help me understand this?[/FONT]

1. Glyph Keys: Where do characters find them? How are they attuned? Can they be attuned more than once? Can they be attuned to both White and Black gates? Once they are used can they be used again?
  2. White Gates: They barrier one section from another. They're opened by attuned glyph keys. Is there anything else I need to know besides the description on page 110?
  3. Black Gates: Portals from one section of the complex to another. Where do they go? Which portal connects to another black gate? Or is it random? How do characters discover that disrupting six of these lead to the Phylactery Vault? Do the keys work any differently with Black Gates?
  4. The Gatehouse. It says it has several permanent teleportation circles. The entry points are clearly listed. Black Gates can be used to get back to the Gatehouse. Is this simply free-long-rest-ville for players who find a Black Gate? Anything else I need to know about the Gatehouse?
  5. Temple Glyph Keys seem pretty straight forward.
[FONT=&quot]Thanks for the help.[/FONT]

jasper

Rotten DM
1. they find the keys on some encounters. Page 112 it gives how they are attuned. I think is DC 15 Arcana check to tune a key and fill it with its zones.​
I don't have the book with me.
Edit page 112. You can pass attunements 1 at a time between keys

Last edited:

jasper

Rotten DM
[FONT="]Hey everyone,[/FONT]
[FONT="]DM here. I have a question about the gates/keys in Dead in Thay. See below.

>
>
>
>
>

[/FONT]
[FONT="]I'm doing my best to understand the white and black gates, along with the Gate House and their teleportation circles. Honestly, I just need a better summary than what is listed in TYP.[/FONT]
[FONT="]Can y'all help me understand this?[/FONT]

1. Glyph Keys: Where do characters find them? How are they attuned? Can they be attuned more than once? Can they be attuned to both White and Black gates? Once they are used can they be used again?
  2. White Gates: They barrier one section from another. They're opened by attuned glyph keys. Is there anything else I need to know besides the description on page 110?
  3. Black Gates: Portals from one section of the complex to another. Where do they go? Which portal connects to another black gate? Or is it random? How do characters discover that disrupting six of these lead to the Phylactery Vault? Do the keys work any differently with Black Gates?
  4. The Gatehouse. It says it has several permanent teleportation circles. The entry points are clearly listed. Black Gates can be used to get back to the Gatehouse. Is this simply free-long-rest-ville for players who find a Black Gate? Anything else I need to know about the Gatehouse?
  5. Temple Glyph Keys seem pretty straight forward.
[FONT="]Thanks for the help.[/FONT]
3. Look on the map on page 111 and the section maps farer in. They are label entry point.
yes black gating back to gatehouse is free resting point.
The players map page 117 has the entry point listed.

Remove ads