D&D 5E Races in my Own Campaign World

As to the CR of monsters and players, they are the same. Just like all Wiccans are witches, but not all witches are Wiccans::Every playable race is also a monster, but not all monsters are a playable race.
Yes, you can certainly run NPCs built under PC rules through the Challenge Rating formula and come up with a number which may be of use to you if you throw these characters at actual PCs. The DMG states this explicitly.

However, correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm picking up the implication that you think CR is as valuable a tool for balancing PCs as it is for balancing NPCs. And this is not the case. The requirements that the game places on NPC performance are very different from the requirements it places on PC performance, and CR is strictly for the former. If you run a 9th-level wizard and 9th-level fighter through the CR formula, the wizard will usually have a higher CR than the fighter. (You can sort of see this even without doing all the math for yourself, just by looking at the sample NPCs in the back of the MM.) And this is correct, normal, balanced, and healthy. It's not a symptom of "linear fighter quadratic wizard" or any of the other standard wizards-are-broken arguments. It's simply because an NPC wizard is almost always going to show up for just a single encounter, and hence can go nova with impunity. By the nature of the different role they play in the game, NPC wizards do not have the same resource management constraints as PC wizards.

So while, strictly speaking, the characters your players are currently playing do have a CR, that number doesn't actually do anything unless you're planning something really unusual like a PvP campaign. CR is a measure of how challenging non-player characters are for player characters to fight, which is not the same thing as the reverse.

Also -- "Wicca" is the same word as "witch". This is clear when you pronounce it correctly: it really is just WITCH-ah with an older spelling.

CydKnight

Explorer
How does one make game balance out of this without everyone wanting to be a scion of gods and angelic avatars when there are no rules defining what makes balance.
When it doesn't specifically exist as official content, you do it from experience within the system and as much play testing and tweaking as is needed to achieve the balance you seek.

Personality wise I test as a rather heavy intuitive analytical thinker concerned with process to achieve outcome. I would suspect some who answered me vary in approach to life. Which would be the source of the bewilderment at my demand for consistent orderly progression. I am looking for what I need to not find the game frustrating, while not everyone will have that need or desire.
I would never have guessed. :) I have lived much of my life in an analytical, process-oriented way. 5E is largely not built this way. At least not in the mechanics and aspects you seem to be seeking. Still you are not the only one with this quirk and many have still managed to play 5E successfully by adapting. If you are truly set on converting your world to 5E, you likely will have to let go of some of your requirements for "rules" or be satisfied with making a few of your own (Homebrew) to achieve your goals.

Remove ads