Good Character going Bad (For Good Reasons)

A little bit of background beforehand:
My character is in possession of an evil sword(took it so it can't get in the wrong hands / also cool for hexblade to have an evil sword)Found "soul" gems during the 5th session of our game(they suck in souls if you're not careful)My character is a hexblade warlock

So orignally my character was a "infected" warlock who had gotten powers from some lake demon who killed his crew.

The idea was for him to learn to control his powers and eventually become a Paladin via Old Paladin Yoda figure helping him learn....

Well that went to ****...the DM outright killed my characters Master and there is nothing he could do(I gave about 3 great suggestions to save the Old Paladin...but could not)

Well, I was thinking long after the session how it would change my character and after thinking a long time(he had a lot of tragedies in his life) and this was the "final straw" for the cahracter.

He is tired of being weak....he wants the power to save his friends, no matter the personal cost.

So in secret last session he has been collecting the souls of the "bad guys" the party has killed and fed them all to his sword at the end of the session.

Now I don't look to be disruptive, but it's just a weird change I wasn't expecting for the character...he went the total opposite direction I was planning.

A few questions:
Anyone else have experience with this type of character change?
What to look out for?

Sent from my SM-G930V using EN World mobile app

The "good" thing about this type of "evil" is that my character is solely doing it for his friends in the party so he can protect them; though he would never tell them what he did, so it shouldn't really be a problem for other players. IE No making the game worse for anyone.

The other characters might not think so fondly of what he did though

Eis

Explorer
The "good" thing about this type of "evil" is that my character is solely doing it for his friends in the party so he can protect them; though he would never tell them what he did, so it shouldn't really be a problem for other players. IE No making the game worse for anyone.

The other characters might not think so fondly of what he did though

that's how it always starts....you rationalize....its for the greater good you say....the reasons are noble and just you say

Lylandra

Adventurer
Sounds like your DM kind of wants you to take the "dark path", otherwise he wouldn't have been so keen on killing your Paladin Master...

Well, the whole story doesn't sound too bad. Being evil or walking the line between evil and neutral can be interesting and doesn't have to flag you as kill on sight for your fellow party members unless some of them are overly righteous or stupid good. After all, doing some evil deeds for the greater good is not the same as being Evil for evil's sake or having to hate or hurt all other people.

Playing out being tempted by the promise of power also sounds like a great opportunity for roleplay.

What you should consider is how the rest of your party (both in character and meta) can handle such a character. Your story sounds great for a more mature and experienced group and I would see not problem integrating your character into one of my partys. However, players differ and for some having a grey character in the group can be a no-go. Maybe you should discuss your options with your group?

S

Sunseeker

that's how it always starts....you rationalize....its for the greater good you say....the reasons are noble and just you say

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Frankly, I think this is fine. I may take issue with the occasional character and player who decides to roll up a chaotic evil jerkwad, but I tend to find a lawful evil or even neutral evil character quite fun to be around, provided they're played well. The whole "I'm seeking out dark power to save my friends!" is a great way to go about that I think (as long as you're better written than Anakin).

As Lylandra points out though, dealing with an evil character in a party can often raise the needed maturity level and "professionalism" (the ability to keep reactions to character actions separate from reactions to player actions) required of that group.

Calithorne

Explorer
The key to an evil character is he must do his evil deeds in secret, and you must not tell stories about them to the other players. There will come a time when the other characters learn how evil your character has become, but it will ruin the drama of that moment of truth, if the players already know. Make sure the DM keeps it a secret as well, no "out of character" discussions.

ajanders

Explorer
The key to an evil character is he must do his evil deeds in secret, and you must not tell stories about them to the other players.

Respectfully, no. The key to an evil character is they must NOT do their evil deeds to the other PC's. Evil can be quite manageable, but messing with your professional colleagues is unwise from a character perspective. It also annoys even mature gamers.

Respectfully, no. The key to an evil character is they must NOT do their evil deeds to the other PC's. Evil can be quite manageable, but messing with your professional colleagues is unwise from a character perspective. It also annoys even mature gamers.
The evil he committed is for the rest of the party, so there won't any problems. Unless they find out and disagree, but I think worst case they make him leave.

Remove ads