D&D 3E/3.5 Breaking Out 3E Again

Shiroiken

Legend
I use a lot of the fluff books. The Hero's of Series, deities and demigods, manual of the planes ...
Regardless of type, I find the fluff from setting books to be valuable regardless of edition. And of course the 1E DMG, which is invaluable no matter what game system you use :p

Zardnaar

Legend
Er...are you saying you're adapting a 5e adventure to 3e rules?

Other way around using 3E source material tying it to 5E mechanics mostly the back grounds. FOr example the 3.5 Waterdeep book has noble houses so a 5E PC with the noble back ground chose one of them for a last name/back ground.

Another wanted to know the 5E equivalent of Latin or other ancient languages and the 3.0 FRCS had that information in it.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Other way around using 3E source material tying it to 5E mechanics mostly the back grounds. FOr example the 3.5 Waterdeep book has noble houses so a 5E PC with the noble back ground chose one of them for a last name/back ground.

Another wanted to know the 5E equivalent of Latin or other ancient languages and the 3.0 FRCS had that information in it.

OH OK, gotcha. I have done that a bit. Makes sense. I more often use 2e material with 5e rules (even though I never played 2e). But I did use some Planes material from 3e, and 4e as well. I've wanted to use the Undead book from 4e I just have not had the opportunity yet.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I ran a 5th edition FR game for about a year (stopped at 10th level) using the 3.0 FRCS book (beautiful book!) and the 1372DR timeline with nary a complaint. It's a great setting book, and easy enough to adapt stuff to 5e from it.

machineelf

Explorer
I use the 5th edition but base my campaign in the FR circa 1372 DR, so I use tons of 2nd edition and 3rd edition Realms material. I was never a fan of the changes made to the Realms with 4th edition and beyond, so I fully support your decision.

Staffan

Legend
If you already have the 3e FR material, it works very well with 5e. But if you're looking to expand your library with FR material in order to enhance your 5e game, I'd recommend 1e/2e material over 3e in general on account of a higher fluff-to-crunch ratio.

Zardnaar

Legend
If you already have the 3e FR material, it works very well with 5e. But if you're looking to expand your library with FR material in order to enhance your 5e game, I'd recommend 1e/2e material over 3e in general on account of a higher fluff-to-crunch ratio.

I have some 2E material like the Faiths and Avatars trilogy, FR Adventures book and a few other bits and pieces. The 3.0 FRCS is almost to good not to use and the map is still in the back of mine.

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
My friend and I encouraged our GM to revive his 3.x Ptolus campaign under the 5th Edition system and almost had him on the hook until Rogue One inspired him to run Edge of the Empire instead.

S'mon

Legend
BTW does this mean I could run eg Princes of the Apocalypse easily in the 1987 Grey Box Forgotten Realms setting? That sounds like a fun campaign. :D

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases